How much to use the laundry facilities

swmrgrl

There are frequent specials for sending your laundry, pressing, or dry cleaning. The most popular is the $12 all you can fit in their bag. Laundry comes back pressed and hanging or folded (your choice).

Or you can choose the unlimited laundry service for the length of the cruise. The price depends on the length of the cruise. On our 35 day Rotterdam in 2004, we paid approx $130 for just laundry and pressing. Dry cleaning was an extra charge.

You can also just send things to be pressed and have them back the same day. On the smaller ships the turn-around if you get it in by 9am can be that evening or 24 hours. Since there are no self service washers on Vista class, the laundry turn around is slower.

GN

Good day all,

Perhaps a silly question but do the ships with launderettes have a vending machine that dispenses single use sizes of laundry soap and fabric softener? I really do not want to do laundry but it may be necessary

Absolutely do not want to pack anything that is not necessary. I need all the suitcase space for more important things, like shoes!

Thanks for any information.

days628

Volendam, March 13, 2006

How much does it cost to use the laundry on the Rotterdam?
I was on the Ryndam last December, and the Washing Machines cost $2.00/load, including soap, and the Dryers were $1.00/load! Very BUSY for a 10 day cruise! ONLY 4 Dryers and 4 Washing Machines. Check your Deck Layout Sheet for locations?

The last time I did my laundry on a ship was on Princess and they didn't charge for the washers or dryers, only the soap. I always bring my own soap and dryer sheet.

On HAL there is a charge for the machines.

As reported above, detergent is provided. It's a bio/eco/whatever-safe soap. HAL used to have other detergents available for purchase, but no longer. It's part of the commitment to the environment.

Public facilities? Do you mean restrooms? If so, yes there are many in convenient locations and all have cloth towels.

If you mean washers and dryers as this is what this thread references, then, no, none of the Vista ships have self service laundries.

GN

Because they want to charge you to do your laundry for you. You can purchase either dry cleaning or laundry services, but not do your own. We just wash out some things in the cabin (underware and socks mostly), but it certainly is not as convienent as having the self-service laundry. HAL said that passengers didn't care, but they never asked us!

We have used the Washer Closets on most vessels.. having clean clothes is nice so less chores when arriving back/to your final destinations...:D

That is something which should be on all ships at least a few of them so passengers can do it and/or choose to have it done (pay) ...:confused:

But alas I guess we will have to have dirty clothes and use the machines at home when we come back.

:mad:

All of the S and R class ships have self service laundries. For whatever reason, and we don't know what it is, they were eliminated from the Vista class ships.

I have told this story before. A well-traveled mariner that we met on one of our transatlantic cruises told me that dhe uses her whirlpool tub and capful of HAL shampoo to do her personal things. There is a retractible clothesline in the bathroom for hanging hand washables. She swore that it met her needs.

GN

Thanks grannynurse,

Yes. That retractable line is wonderful and used daily...

We have hooks with clips to use we carry aboard each time and they take up little precious packing space..

Our undergarments...socks.. etc.. are better done in the washer macine as the temperature gets quite high.. but having to use the tub, sink and/or shower is the power at hand sometimes.. yes bring your own liquid soap helps too...

Princess which is now the majority of shares held by Carnival Corp. has had the nicest facilities we have seen so far for this.. :D

Maybe at a later time they shall have Washer Closets again on the Vista Class Ships or I hope on the class ships coming out next year too.

When the first Vista class ship come out, Zuiderdam (2002), there was a lot of comlaining about no laundry facilities and they didn't offer great prices for bags of laundry either. The ship also lacked a lot of public restrooms.

One would have thought that with all the complaints they got, the laundry rooms would have been added to the other ships. But that did not happen.

But more public restrooms were added on all the Vista class ships including the Zuiderdam.

Zero Cold Water Wash does, as it's slogan says, 'soak clothes clean' - we decant a supply into a travel safe bottle for use on board.

Tilley underwear also is what's it's said to be - you can travel (male or female) with 3 pairs - wear one, one in the wash and a spare. Other stuff we send to the laundry. All outfits can be worn more than once - who recalls the shorts/pants/skirt/blouse/gown you wore 3 days ago.

Since airlines cut back on weight allowances we've managed to travel (and always be appropriately dressed) more or less with each outfit being worn at least 3 times. Formal attire for DW, even for 21 day cruises, can be accommodated.:)

Archived