Newbie question: just booked first-time May B2B cruises--question re complimentary dining

12cruise2

So I'm fooling around on the Celebrity web site (so many active-looking links to click on, with no response when clicked upon).  Anyway, selecting Complimentary dining, click on first night Fort lauderdale, it says Gratuities have to be prepaid--what??  Meal is complimentary and total comes up as $0.00--so I believe no money is due, correct?  but it even goes on to ask for a credit card.  No way am I prepaying gratuities for a complimentary meal. . . . ?

Separate question, docs say to check in 90 days in advance; of course no check-in link is active (do I end up with an Express pass once I've been able to check in on a computer--all of this is on a computer--no smartphone ever--)  I understand 45 days in advance I can vie for boarding time for my DH and me?

Confusing.  I did manage to buy a shore ex--yay!

What's up with this, and thank you so very much, kind CCers.

If memory serves, if you want anytime dining (and are not on an Always Inclusive fair) you have to pay your gratuities up front (not if you opt for select dining) - but what this might mean if you are on an Always Inclusive fair I don't know, as your gratuities should be included.

Check in is 45 days in advance, and your seapass will be printable about 2 weeks before your cruise, i think.  (We're sailing at the end of April and our check in has been open for about 2 weeks, but still can't print docs)

Thank you, talljules1.  I went ahead and reserved times for each of the days, and total came up $0.00--even asked for credit card, haha.  We're just on a straight fare, no packages.  I  think I need to stop for the evening; getting tired.

Thanks for the info on timing.  It's always confusing to do something brand new.  We are 4-star HAL cruisers giving Celebrity a try.

Thank you.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 10:53 AM, 12cruise2 said:

We are 4-star HAL cruisers giving Celebrity a try.

We have sailed on HAL and loved it, but I am sure you will love Celebrity.  The service, the ambience, the food.  All of this makes Celebrity special.  Bon Voyage.

On 3/23/2022 at 5:53 PM, 12cruise2 said:

Thank you, talljules1.  I went ahead and reserved times for each of the days, and total came up $0.00--even asked for credit card, haha.  We're just on a straight fare, no packages.  I  think I need to stop for the evening; getting tired.

Thanks for the info on timing.  It's always confusing to do something brand new.  We are 4-star HAL cruisers giving Celebrity a try.

Thank you.

You will have to pay gratuities per day the rate differs by room category. It is not a separate charge for dining

You should be able to print your Express Pass as soon as you check in, at about 45 days out. You do not need to print the cruise documents at all. Just print the luggage tags  from those documents. Or you can wait and get luggage tags at the pier before checking in to board. Porters have tags with them.