Need to know fast... "Self Assist" best for disembarking? Storing luggage at Port

sabri

Hi. Need quick answers.

I am on my cruise and am disembarking tomorrow morning.

Should I do "self assist" and take our own luggage off of the ship? (I am afraid to leave my luggage.... Laptop included ..... in the hall tonight and have it be "stored" by them. Is this a crazy fear?

Would we be able to get off the ship faster if we carry our own luggage off (wouldn't have to wait for our "color" to be called)?

what are advantages vs. disadvantages of self-assist vs. traditional?

If we take our own luggage off of the ship we would have to have it stored by a company at the Port other than Royal Caribbean (our flight leaves late)....... is that safe?

Have you ever done it?

thanks. :)

Hi - The details just help us all provide a more detailed answer. Different ships and ports have different experiences. Here's what I can tell you from my experience.

+ I would not fear for the safety of my luggage, but as when travelling anywhere, I'd be prudent and keep my most valuable things in my carry on.

+ You will get off much faster if you do Travel Lite A or B, but this means you are on your own hauling all of your stuff. That may be a hassle if you have a lot of luggage, or kids, etc. I always do Travel Lite A and I love it because it eliminates all hassle for me, and I travel light to begin with. It also helps you avoid lines at customs.

But if you're flight home isn't til early evening, I'm not sure you want to rush off the ship. I'd take my time, disembark with your planned color, and go from there. Why rush (unless you have other plans)???

Sorry, I've never stored my luggage at a port so I can't help with that.

I agree. Why would you rush off the ship only to sit in the airport for hours? I suggest you keep your laptop as a carry off along with other valuables and don't worry about leaving your luggage out in the hall. Last week on the Jewel, the self assist folks were called about 8 AM, but when on Navigator in Sept. they were called at 7:15. Yikes!

Archived