Foodie/Booze Tour (Self Led?)

CruiseGal97

Hey there cruise friends! I am reaching out and seeing what those of you have been around these ports recommend! My husband and I have been to Alaska before (4 years ago when we were 20 and 19) and we are so excited to go back! We did all of the traditional Alaska things last time, so this time we wanted to do more of a self led excursion. We are doing the Juneau Food Walking Tour and the Craft Brewery and Distillery Experience (Victoria, Canada) but we are wanting to do more self led things in Ketchikan and Skagway. We love food and beer....so were wanting to experience some awesome food and booze! 

Does anyone have an recommendations for MUSTS in either Ketchikan or Skagway? We are looking forward to another beautiful trip to Alaska! 

Edited by CruiseGal97

• CruiseGal97 changed the title to Foodie/Booze Tour (Self Led?)

In Skagway you would probably enjoy visiting the Skagway Brewing Company and the Red Onion Saloon. We haven't visited a brewery in Ketchikan, so maybe others will weigh in - but we enjoy a breakfast of Sourdough Pancakes and Reindeer sausage at Cape Fox Lodge and lunch featuring Salmon Chowder at Annabelle's.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2022 at 12:01 PM, CruiseGal97 said:

Hey there cruise friends! I am reaching out and seeing what those of you have been around these ports recommend! My husband and I have been to Alaska before (4 years ago when we were 20 and 19) and we are so excited to go back! We did all of the traditional Alaska things last time, so this time we wanted to do more of a self led excursion. We are doing the Juneau Food Walking Tour and the Craft Brewery and Distillery Experience (Victoria, Canada) but we are wanting to do more self led things in Ketchikan and Skagway. We love food and beer....so were wanting to experience some awesome food and booze! 

Does anyone have an recommendations for MUSTS in either Ketchikan or Skagway? We are looking forward to another beautiful trip to Alaska! 

I plan to go on Ales and Whales in Juneau. https://juneaushoretours.com/tours/juneau/whale-watching/ales-and-whales

Sand Bar in Juneau has great fish and chips.  For dive bars in Juneau there's the Triangle and the Alaska Hotel bar. In Ketchikan, there's the Arctic and the Sourdough.  They are pretty deserted during the day, but lots of locals after the cruise ships start to leave.  I love the Spuce Tip Ale at Skagway Brewing, but it's so overcrowded now the food and service has deteriorated.  

1 hour ago, wolfie11 said:

Sand Bar in Juneau has great fish and chips.  For dive bars in Juneau there's the Triangle and the Alaska Hotel bar. In Ketchikan, there's the Arctic and the Sourdough.  They are pretty deserted during the day, but lots of locals after the cruise ships start to leave.  I love the Spuce Tip Ale at Skagway Brewing, but it's so overcrowded now the food and service has deteriorated.  

That's sad to hear. I loved Skagway Brewing when I was there in 2019. Maybe I'll just have a beer at the bar and skip lunch.