Zaandam first cruise since Covid

SusieO

19 minutes ago, rocksteady27 said:

Does this mean the furnishings in the rooms and public spaces will be refreshed as well? 

We will be taking a New England cruise this summer and all the ship tour videos are from years ago - ship appears a bit “aged” in decor.

If you are looking for trendy decor, HAL might not be the best fit. It think that honor belongs to Celebrity Cruise Line. When I see "aging decor" I always think good, HAL is keeping their prices down. 

An updated bathroom is critical for some? The water turns on, the commode flushes (usually) and the shower has sufficient water pressure, plus good mirror lighting. That still works for me.

Keep exploring options for just the right Goldilocks cruise line.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

If you are looking for trendy decor, HAL might not be the best fit. It think that honor belongs to Celebrity Cruise Line. When I see "aging decor" I always think good, HAL is keeping their prices down. 

An updated bathroom is critical for some? The water turns on, the commode flushes (usually) and the shower has sufficient water pressure, plus good mirror lighting. That still works for me.

Keep exploring options for just the right Goldilocks cruise line.

I’m a 3* Mariner but I’ve never sailed on the Zaandam. My most recent trips were on the NA and Rotterdam.  I just was asking if Zaandam was being updated to look more like the newer ships vs it’s vintage look 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rocksteady27 said:

I’m a 3* Mariner but I’ve never sailed on the Zaandam. My most recent trips were on the NA and Rotterdam.  I just was asking if Zaandam was being updated to look more like the newer ships vs it’s vintage look 😊

I remember my first cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam (my first large HAL ship) after many on all the R, S and Vista HAL ships with their often (ahem) "quirky" decor, and thinking HAL finally go the decor right on the NA. It was very stylish and the carpets finally matched.

Since that NA trip, the decor on those others smaller HAL beauties has definitely been upgraded and much more pleasing. But probably still a bit fusty, compared to their news models.  But over all I love the solid, traditional features on these smaller HAL ships.

Zaandam was our very last HAL cruise, right before everything shut down  - Antarctica in Jan/Feb 2020. When ships like the Zaandam take one to such dazzling locales, decor just drops down a few notches so I am not remembering the details, other than they were finally getting the carpets right.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2022 at 11:54 AM, SusieO said:

We are sailing on the Zaandam, May 12 for 9 nights, Fort Lauderdale to Montreal.  Has anyone heard when she will leave wherever she is to begin her journey to Fort Lauderdale?

Thanks! 😊

We will be on this sailing also. I noticed on the deck plan that there was no BB King, Rolling Stone or Billboard Onboard. Asked my cruise consultant and she said could not get an answer of what evening entertainment was available. Seems by the pictures that they do still have a piano bar and also Lincoln Center. Should be a great cruise.    

• Like 2

Zaandam just completed a 3+ week upgrade at the Cadiz shipyard before crossing the Atlantic and arriving in FLL yesterday. I would think a lot of changes have been made.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ATC said:

Zaandam just completed a 3+ week upgrade at the Cadiz shipyard before crossing the Atlantic and arriving in FLL yesterday. I would think a lot of changes have been made.

I sure hope they left the Explorations cafe where it was and not moved up to the Crow’s nest. It seems a bit inconvenient to have to go that far just for a specialty coffee. I don’t normally drink them, but I somehow ended up with a beverage package this Sept cruise, so I’ll try to drink some. I don’t drink sodas and I certainly don’t want to have 15 alcoholic beverages a day! 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2