Jogging track use

andrcan

Hello everyone,

going on my first cruise with Azamara in June. Used to jog some 4 miles a day lately, I prefer doing it outdoor due to COVID. Now, on Azamara ships, it's some 54 jogging track laps at one lap in less than a minute and it seems to be high traffic area with people strolling along leisurely, so to them I may look like a scary sweating bomb flying around for almost an hour. I understand the space is shared and limited, and I certainly don't want myself to be a nuisance so I'm wondering if other passengers do share the track and look around, or I rather explore other options to do my cardio. On my previous cruise, I was pushed and sworn at when passing and I sure don't want this to happen to me on the cruise again. 

Thanks, Andy

People DO run on that track - but yes, in the morning, when it is busy, you would not have the best experience.     If you run in the afternoon, you are likely to have it to yourself.   I run 5 to 6 miles most days and did that on the treadmills in the gym.   I wore a mask the first few days and then once I figured out the best time of day to go to the gym, got more comfortable and could run without a mask.    Also, the surface of the "track" is not really the best for running depending on what running surface you are used to.   Could be a good path to shin splints.

• Like 2

I am one of those walkers on the track early in the morning. I stick to the outside and let the joggers/runners take the inside track. Often, I have been the only one there. And, I have never seen anyone pushed or sworn at. I do think it is a little rude to go the opposite direction everyone else is going but I don't say anything. In the ports, since arrival is often early in the morning, you might want to consider going for a run on shore.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, andrcan said:

Thanks! Thought about going for a run on shore but concerned about safety in most port areas vwith heavy traffic etc. Better be treadmill.

I like using the Google Maps "streetview" to get a feel what an area might be like for walking (or running) near the port.  Depending on the itinerary and port, the smaller ships of Azamara can often have pretty good locations for being on foot.

• Like 2

If you want to run ashore ask at Guest Relations. On several of the ships officers go running in every port and will be happy to share their routes.  I’ve seen some take the shuttle to town and run from there.  

• Like 1

Good point - I love to run on land. something about running in St. Barts (over the hill to the other side!) and St. Thomas - up the 99 steps!.....it's fun if you don't have a day planned.   I have tendered in to run and gotten right off the shop to run.   I always feel very clever about it.   Easier logistics on the treadmlll sure,  but going on land is something different for the log book for sure.

Edited by PAtravelbug