Why is the Getaway still in port in NY

Mike A

Update:

-Cruising Friday on Pearl 

-Did our tele monitored tests with Inspire this morning @8:30 am

-Received negative results @ 8:53am

-Immediately uploaded all of our results to our Bermuda travel authorization accounts (that I registered 03/24)

-@9:32am received email with our approvals from Bermuda health officials

Piece of cake!

Test as early as you can on your required testing day so you can get your results in before they start receiving hundreds later in the day. 

Feel free to use our experience as your model😉😊

Now I can breathe and enjoy these last couple of days before we leave stress free!

• Like 2

On 4/11/2022 at 9:56 PM, worktocruise610 said:

Not sure if this will apply to their cruise (things change almost daily) but hopefully it will and can ease your mind and theirs… the Getaway cruise this week was told if they do not get off in Norfolk they will not need to test again. So that may be an option, but if not, NCL will take care of the test on the ship, I’m sure they’ll be fine.

Yes, you are correct on this. I got off from the Gem yesterday, where they tested all those that got off in Norfolk. If did not get off, no need to be retested. Silly NCL and Bermuda. But it their rules, oh well. For those that got off and went back onto the cruise ship, these people can spread it to those that did not get off.

Yes, the late departure had to do with the Bermuda Authorization. You need one to get on board. It does not matters if you want to get off or stay on in Bermuda. This past Saturday, it was horrible to see a long long line for help with the Bermuda TA. Someone said they waited in line for 4-5 hours. Gem departed around 5:30 pm instead of 4 pm. What made it more bad was that another Norwegian cruise ship (NCL Pearl) was in port on the same day. So Bermuda TA had to processed a lot of applications.

Some cruisers are pissed off about the $40 that Bermuda get per each person.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, poohdreaming said:

Some cruisers are pissed off about the $40 that Bermuda get per each person.

I'm sailing out of NYC on 4/26 to Bermuda.  Am I pissed about the $40?  Not really, b/c I know about it.  It was clearly flagged by NCL; and it's the literal price for visiting Bermuda during these covid times.  Visit their country, follow their rules.  

What I will be pissed about, if it happens (which it sounds like it will), is long lines and relative chaos b/c fellow passengers didn't do anything in advance to comply with the Bermuda Authorization process. 

4 hours ago, JGmf said:

I'm sailing out of NYC on 4/26 to Bermuda.  Am I pissed about the $40?  Not really, b/c I know about it.  It was clearly flagged by NCL; and it's the literal price for visiting Bermuda during these covid times.  Visit their country, follow their rules.  

What I will be pissed about, if it happens (which it sounds like it will), is long lines and relative chaos b/c fellow passengers didn't do anything in advance to comply with the Bermuda Authorization process. 

It is up to the traveler to check on the requirements of the countries they are traveling to, but I would like to know where this is "clearly flagged" by NCL?

My friend is sailing to Bermuda next week, and would not have known about the authorization if I hadn't told her. I follow cruise critic and a few cruise channels on you tube, so I knew all about it. I also received an email for my upcoming (May) Bermuda cruise with a PDF about all of NCL's sail safe protocols. This did have a link to use to check the country requirements. It would have been a good idea for NCL to send out a separate email reminding people about the authorization, just in case they did not see or did not receive the initial email.

2 hours ago, Cruising Lynne said:

It would have been a good idea for NCL to send out a separate email reminding people about the authorization

I agree with your recommendation.  They should bang the drum louder with a stand-alone email.

Yes, it is flagged on the initial booking confirmation (link to "sail safe" site) and yes it's on the "important information letter" (link to country requirements) and yes (at least back in December), they called the week before to remind people.  That clearly hasn't been enough given the ongoing ignorance of the Bermuda TA, so send another email.  It couldn't hurt.