NCL Europe Cruise Protocols

Don23

I notice the NCL website was updated on the 9th April for Europe embarkations. The full wording, copied from their website is below, but regarding testing, it clearly states 'This test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.'

As I live in the UK, and have had 2 doses of an approved vaccine + a booster, I'm taking this as meaning I don't need to go to the inconvenience or expense of getting a pre-travel supervised test.

Text from NCL website:

Country Requirements

Travel requirements may vary from country to country in Europe. Please refer to country specific sections for more information.

All guests must complete applicable Passenger Locator Forms, requirements differ from country to country.

Vaccination Requirements:

All guests age 12 and over must present proof of full vaccination against COVID-19.

EU Healthy Gateways currently defines individuals as "Fully Vaccinated" against COVID-19 if they carry proof of vaccination with at least 14 days and no more than 270 days passed since the last dose of the primary vaccination series or if they have received a third or booster dose. To clarify, guests that have received a booster dose can travel regardless of the amount of time that has passed since their booster dose.

• Please note that any guest whose primary COVID-19 vaccination will be beyond 270 days at the time of disembarkation from their voyage MUST HAVE a COVID-19 “booster” prior to embarkation.
    • In lieu of a booster 270 days after the primary series, guests may present a government recognized or official medical Certificate of Recovery.
      • This would include an EU Green Pass or comparable certificate but does not include a doctor’s note.
  • For EU sailings Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine will be accepted for vaccinated children and teens between the ages of 5 and 17 and Moderna (Spikevax) for children 12-17 years of age.

Guests who cannot meet the EU Healthy Gateways definition of “Fully Vaccinated” should not travel to the ship as they will be unable to board.

Testing Requirements:

• All vaccinated guests age 12 and older: must provide proof of negative NAAT test (I.e. PCR) or antigen test taken within 24 hours of embarkation. This test will be paid for and administered by Norwegian Cruise Line.

Face Coverings:

• On European sailings guests shall:
    • Wear masks onboard while indoors, except when actively eating or drinking or when in their stateroom.
    • Adhere to local regulations when visiting ports.

All voyages that include Italian ports, an FFP2/KN95 mask must be worn.

One other thing to consider is that, as I understand it, when NCL were doing all the testing at port, they would only assist people who tested positive at the port if you could show that you had tested negative previously. I don’t know what they are doing at the moment, but you may find that a proof of recent negative test is helpful in that situation.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

It is a complete mess at the moment. Nobody really knows what is required, and I would be reluctant about turning up at the port without a test, despite what the website says.

Where are you boarding?

Barcelona, travelling on 12th May, embarkation on 13th May.

Will keep an eye on things, as still over 4 weeks away...

23 minutes ago, Don23 said:

Barcelona, travelling on 12th May, embarkation on 13th May.

Will keep an eye on things, as still over 4 weeks away...

Yes, certainly keep an eye on reports on here. I think there will be lots of discussion in the coming weeks.

thank you,  I am also boarding in Athens on the 17th. I plan to get a pre-departure test before leaving the USA, because I would hate to travel that far only to find out I can't board the ship and need to quarantine in a foreign country.  Just crossing fingers that my viral load doesn't change between Friday and Sunday!  This is one time I will be glad of masks at the airport / on the plane.    

it's a brave new world of travel! 

1 hour ago, kmurph22 said:

thank you,  I am also boarding in Athens on the 17th. I plan to get a pre-departure test before leaving the USA, because I would hate to travel that far only to find out I can't board the ship and need to quarantine in a foreign country.  Just crossing fingers that my viral load doesn't change between Friday and Sunday!  This is one time I will be glad of masks at the airport / on the plane.    

it's a brave new world of travel! 

Are you aware that for Greece, any test 72 hours out has to be PCR? Lateral flow tests are 24 hours.

It is probably a moot point anyway, as I suspect they will test us at the port, but if they don't your test may not be valid unless it is PCR.

1 hour ago, KeithJenner said:

Are you aware that for Greece, any test 72 hours out has to be PCR? Lateral flow tests are 24 hours.

It is probably a moot point anyway, as I suspect they will test us at the port, but if they don't your test may not be valid unless it is PCR.

Or fully vaccinated (you worried me so I checked) cheers Keith

7 minutes ago, Trimone said:

Or fully vaccinated (you worried me so I checked) cheers Keith

Unfortunately, for Greece it has to be a PCR if you are testing 72 hours out.

From the Details by country page on the NCL website:

Testing Requirements:

• All guests must provide proof of negative NAAT test (I.e. PCR) taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation or antigen test taken within 24 hours of embarkation.

We have cancelled our Lateral Flow tests that we had booked at Heathrow and are getting them done in Athens on Saturday instead. It actually works out quite well for us, as we can get to the airport earlier and it is cheaper.

It sounds like they may well test us at the port anyway. Last weekend they didn't even ask people for their tests apparently.

21 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Unfortunately, for Greece it has to be a PCR if you are testing 72 hours out.

From the Details by country page on the NCL website:

Testing Requirements:

• All guests must provide proof of negative NAAT test (I.e. PCR) taken within 72 hours prior to embarkation or antigen test taken within 24 hours of embarkation.

We have cancelled our Lateral Flow tests that we had booked at Heathrow and are getting them done in Athens on Saturday instead. It actually works out quite well for us, as we can get to the airport earlier and it is cheaper.

It sounds like they may well test us at the port anyway. Last weekend they didn't even ask people for their tests apparently.

Can't we also bring a proctored test and do it on our hotel room in Greece?

4 minutes ago, Trimone said:

This is how I understand it:

2D4D589A-DAFF-4430-8F20-164871259FE3.png

Aah, we are talking at cross purposes.

There is no testing requirement for vaccinated people arriving in Greece, as stated in your link.

Our discussion above is (I think - at least that is what I am talking about) about the NCL requirements for embarking in Greece.

Edited by KeithJenner