QM2: Disembarkation in Southampton - timing?

Queenvee

I'm hoping that anyone who has recently disembarked in Southampton can provide some input on this.  I am doing the May 1st TA, reaching SOU on Sunday, May 8th.  Typically, I disembark as an "independent" so I carry my luggage off the ship and independents are usually the first group to be allowed off, approx 8:00 am.  Since I carry my luggage, I usually go straight through the cruise terminal to the taxis so it is a very quick process.  On May 8th, I am flying to Glasgow from SOU and would like to take the 10:55 am flight; before I make the reservation, I'm trying to find out if there are new COVID-related processes either on the ship or in the terminal that will slow down disembarkation.  The next flight isn't until 4:00 pm, so would prefer the 10:55!!  Any insights will be appreciated!

exlondoner:  thank you for this input.  I've done many TA crossings and they typically don't arrive late (other than a few minutes perhaps) and since I won't have bought anything, I hope I'll make it through Customs quickly.  So, I think I may live dangerously and book the 10:55 flight.  Very helpful😀

• Like 1

8 hours ago, exlondoner said:

There were, however, Custom's Officers, which I've never seen before. They could cause a major delay.

Yes! I've noticed both in Soton and Portsmouth there've been customs officers on all recent cruisers. I wonder why??

• 1 month later...

I've returned from my TA (May 1, NYO to SOU) and wanted to provide an update on the disembarkation process and timing.  I opted to do "Fast Track" (which used to be called Self-Help and means that you have to carry ALL your luggage off the ship yourself - no putting it out the night before and collecting it at the terminal but you are the first group to disembark, at approx 7:30 am).   Note that where there used to be an option on the "Disembarkation Transfers" form to select Fast Track, that disappeared so I told the Purser's Desk and they updated my record.  I had to select either 7:15 or 7:30 am as my disembarkation time (and they told me I could go a bit later, but no later than 7:45 since the large groups of disembarkation start at 8:00 am).  The announcement that the ship was cleared came at about 7:00 am so I wheeled my luggage off at about 7:30.  No line to disembark from the ship itself, just wheeled through the gangway tunnel into the terminal, took the elevator down to ground floor, walked through the area where they were organizing luggage and out the door.  Took a taxi to Southampton airport which was a flat fee of £28 (strikes me as very high but no other option).  So, as long as you can handle your own luggage, and have made your own forward travel arrangements, Fast Track/Self-Help can be a great option.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hah!  I was at SOU airport in plenty of time, but they had overbooked the flight and because I hadn't checked in online (due to QM2 WiFI issues), I was bumped to the 4:00 flight.  Sigh.  The good news is that due to a European Union regulation enacted in 2004, I will receive £220 as compensation since my new flight is more than 3 hours after the original one; plus £10 food voucher for use in the airport.

While it's a nice airport, it's tiny and I didn't want to spend 5 hours there; the LoganAir rep was extremely helpful and when I suggested that I might go into Southampton, she looked up train schedules for me and told me where I could check my backpack at the airport (£10 fee).  I took the train - station is right across the street from the airport entrance to Southampton Central Station and trip takes less than 10 minutes - and walked about 10 mins toward the center of town.  The Titanic museum has a new location and name (SeaCity Museum) and a good cafe, so that was a great way to pass 90 minutes or so.  Then I wandered through a park, along the pedestrian shopping street and the old city walls & gate.  Took the train back to the airport where my flight was delayed twice and eventually left at 4:55.  This created a bit of a scramble at the Glasgow end since I had to catch the last ferry to the Isle Bute at 8:00 but I made it.  Just another travel adventure!

• Like 2