Pickleball on the Freedom?

Would like to play some pickleball and hoping they have lots of equipment available so I don't have to pack paddles.  Anybody played on FOTS?  Sometimes the "self led" sports see a few folks milling around looking for equipment.  Do they have plenty of pickleball gear and if so, can you find it easily?

Staring at Freedom from my hotel room right now, will be on in a few hours. The app shows 2 hours of open play pickleball each morning, so hard to believe they wouldn't have equipment. Of course I'll believe it when I see it. I'll try to circle back if I have better information. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kdogfister said:

Staring at Freedom from my hotel room right now, will be on in a few hours. The app shows 2 hours of open play pickleball each morning, so hard to believe they wouldn't have equipment. Of course I'll believe it when I see it. I'll try to circle back if I have better information. 

Have the same thing on my app so would really appreciate it.  I would be surprised if they don't have equipment but sometimes things fall between the cracks ... and if so, I can bring my own.  Thanks so much for your help!  Good luck boarding today. Hope it goes smoothly!

By the way - WHAT HOTEL ARE YOU IN?  Sounds like you're close to the port!

Edited by BuckeyeMark

Was on Freedom October 2021.  They do have equipment that you can use.  But we always pack our own paddles.  Whenever a ship offers Pickelball, they will provide paddles and balls.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, arste said:

Was on Freedom October 2021.  They do have equipment that you can use.  But we always pack our own paddles.  Whenever a ship offers Pickelball, they will provide paddles and balls.

How's the quality of the equipment?  Good enough for newbies?

47 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

How's the quality of the equipment?  Good enough for newbies?

Sure!  I have seen people that have never heard of Pickleball before use this equipment.  They are basic paddles and outdoor balls.

• Like 1

I have been on Freedom several times recently, including two weeks ago. They provide paddles and balls. The balls are fine but the paddles aren’t very good. However, if you aren’t a serious pickleball player, you probably won’t have any issues using their paddles. Also, pickleball seems to be all or nothing. Either a bunch of people show up to play or no one shows up. 

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have been on Freedom several times recently, including two weeks ago. They provide paddles and balls. The balls are fine but the paddles aren’t very good. However, if you aren’t a serious pickleball player, you probably won’t have any issues using their paddles. Also, pickleball seems to be all or nothing. Either a bunch of people show up to play or no one shows up. 

Are the courts marked for Pickleball or do we need to bring some masking tape and a measuring tape?

25 minutes ago, BuckeyeMark said:

Are the courts marked for Pickleball or do we need to bring some masking tape and a measuring tape?

Anthem OTS court was marked.  I don't think they would allow you use your own masking tape since the venue is used for other activities when pickleball is not set up. 

i.e. we played pickball one afternoon then we were on bumper cars a couple hours later at the same place. 

20 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

Anthem OTS court was marked.  I don't think they would allow you use your own masking tape since the venue is used for other activities when pickleball is not set up. 

i.e. we played pickball one afternoon then we were on bumper cars a couple hours later at the same place. 

We'd most definitely peel up whatever we stuck down, using something that wouldn't mar or leave sticky residue.  But it's good to know Anthem was marked.  Hoping Freedom OTS is marked!

Edited by BuckeyeMark
  • Like 2