Celebrity cancelled cruises questions

mariners

We were booked on the Celebrity Solstice sailings for the trans-Pacific and Best of Japan cruises that have been cancelled.  My interpretation of the letter sent to me was that if I do nothing before May 12th, I will get an automatic refund of the deposit.  However, travelling companions who have used a cruise agency have received a form that allows them to receive a refund or book a different cruise, and we did not receive anything.  So, I decided to check our booking and, it appears, that Celebrity has changed our trans-Pacific to an 8 night Pacific cruise.  How is this possible?  This is not something we booked, nor agreed to accept a change to the cruise.  After booking over 3 years ago and having multiple cancellations, we just want our deposits back.

So call and cancel!   While it could be your reservation is in transition somehow but based on posts here Celebrity has demonstrated several times they do something different than the letter states.   I wouldn't leave it to chance.

I would just be very careful in the language I use, meaning I wouldn't say, "I want to cancel."  Better to say "I do not accept that change; I want a refund since Celebrity cancelled the cruise."   Hopefully, you will be able to get a cash refund rather than an FCC.

After a long time on hold, I managed to speak with Peter from Celebrity Cruises who has ensured that our cruises are cancelled, and that the deposits will be refunded.  He stated that we should expect to receive our refund in 7 to 14 days.  

I would recommend that anyone who was booked on these cruises contact Celebrity if they are choosing to have their deposits refunded.  Although the letter implies that the refund will be automatic, and states that "If you are unable to rebook by May 12, you will automatically receive a 100% refund ...", it appears that we, and some other passengers, were placed on an 8 night Pacific Coastal cruise instead.  

Thanks wrk2cruise and mchell810 for your help.

bigbenboys, I'm sure you will have a fabulous cruise.  When it's time for your cruise, I hope that you will post online so that I can sail vicariously with you.

• Like 1