Vegetarian burger options

KristinLM

Not for me, but we are travelling with a vegetarian on the Encore.

I know there are great vegetarian choices throughout the ship and have looked over all the menues I can find. I don't need a list of those options.

My question is solely for burgers (i.e. at the Local): Do they have vegetarian patties available if requested?

Until recently I wouldn't have thought to ask, but a lot of burger places seem to offer some version of a vegetarian patty today (even if off menu).

Thank you for any knowledge you can provide.

I’m a vegetarian and cruise frequently with NCL.  Veggie burgers are available on board.  There are signs in the Garden Cafe that they are available upon request and you can also request (ahead of time) at the main dining room and at The Local/O’Sheehan’s.

They are delicious!!  They are also listed on the room service menu.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

I’m a vegetarian and cruise frequently with NCL.  Veggie burgers are available on board.  There are signs in the Garden Cafe that they are available upon request and you can also request (ahead of time) at the main dining room and at The Local/O’Sheehan’s.

24 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

agree!  I've asked for veggie burgers several times in the Garden Cafe and they are really good.  I also learned that the menu tags on each item in the Garden Cafe are marked Green for Vegetarian so you might look for those as well.

• Thanks 1

I know you could get veggie burgers at lunch in the MDR on our last trip on Bliss, even though not on the menu.  They may have been bringing them down from the buffet.  It's helpful to alert the server as early as possible if you know you want to order something off-menu, they can put it in motion even before everyone else picks up the menu.  

• Like 1

You are all so helpful! @Donnalit, @trivimp those are really good tips. I will make sure to keep them in mind--the servers need as much help from us as they can get when it comes to special needs.

Such "simple" questions that I just have not found the answer to in all the internet vaults of knowledge. A quick question and understanding responses.

I am so happy!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, trivimp said:

I know you could get veggie burgers at lunch in the MDR on our last trip on Bliss, even though not on the menu.  They may have been bringing them down from the buffet.  It's helpful to alert the server as early as possible if you know you want to order something off-menu, they can put it in motion even before everyone else picks up the menu.  

Just another FYI - not sure this is the case on every ship, but i also just remembered that when we had a reservation for one of the premium restaurants, I informed the person making our reservation that I would need a vegetarian meal and they called ahead to make sure the staff was aware.  this was done 2 days before our reservation to make sure the chef had plenty of time to prepare. 

5 hours ago, KristinLM said:

You are all so helpful! @Donnalit, @trivimp those are really good tips. I will make sure to keep them in mind--the servers need as much help from us as they can get when it comes to special needs.

Such "simple" questions that I just have not found the answer to in all the internet vaults of knowledge. A quick question and understanding responses.

I am so happy!

Most restaurants have a vegetarian option on the menu.  At Cagney’s, I talk to the maître d ahead of time and they always let me select from the Moderno salad bar.  The main dining rooms always have vegetarian appetizers, baked ziti and one other entree. Le Bistro has that portobello mushroom stack (not to my taste) so I arrange for Indian food there instead.  Los Lobos is fabulous for vegetarians, but you need to let the waiter know so they will serve the refried beans without lard.  Ocean Blue has the incredible cauliflower steak which is my all time favourite meal on an NCL ship.

When ordering the veggie burger in the Garden  Cafe I always ask for the person making the burger to use clean tongs that are not used for the meat burgers.

34 minutes ago, Donnalit said:

Just another FYI - not sure this is the case on every ship, but i also just remembered that when we had a reservation for one of the premium restaurants, I informed the person making our reservation that I would need a vegetarian meal and they called ahead to make sure the staff was aware.  this was done 2 days before our reservation to make sure the chef had plenty of time to prepare. 

When I’ve done this before, the meal they prepared was always a tofu veggie stir fry and it was always enough to serve about 14 people!

Oh wait-I have one more tip!  The mushroom soup in Le Bistro is delicious but it is made with chicken stock.  If you let them know a day ahead they will make a serving for you without the chicken stock.  

Thank you for the extra tips!

I have already planned on speaking to our two specialty restaurants before we go to ensure that there is an option available.
So far, everyone has been very helpful both here and when contacting NCL (after finally reaching them, the assistance and information has been ver positive).

We actually are planning on an evening at Los Lobos and Cagney's, so that is good to know. I have been advised to talk to them the day before. I know what my Mom "wishes" and hope that it will be an "easy fix" for the restaurants. I know there are a lot of options and accommodations and that we need to arrange for the specialty in advance.

Knowing that even the "pick up" food has extra options (aside of everything else I have seen on the menus) really makes this seem like it is going to be fabulous. There is something about getting a burger and fries with everyone else that just makes things "easy".

My mom told me, "the only drawback we have when cruising is that there are so many meat-heavy meals except at the buffet". (They love cruising, but never do specialty restaurants because of the lack of real menu options for her.)

I just want to surprise her and for her to have a very positive experience. This is their/our first NCL cruise. They cruise regularly, we... haven't.

I also hope this thread (especially with the very concrete title) will help others in planning their cruises. The menues not having a "meat substitute *" might make people think they cannot get it.

Thanks again to all!!!!! 🤗

We specifically chose NCL when we started cruising for their ability to provide vegetarian food.  They are amazing at adapting and the servers know the menu ingredients so well!

have a wonderful cruise and let us know how it turns out.  When do you sail?

• Like 1

We are on the Encore for the 1 week Alaska Cruise from Seattle on 22. May. We get home on the 31st of May.

I hope to have a lot of positive stories and information (hoping everything runs smoothly). Despite the many questions here, we are actually very laid back people (I think, quite subjectively). You have all given us the best start possible.

I will try to remember to post a cruise experience thread--but after we get home.

We (my husband and I) have a strict "no internet" policy when on vacation. No social media, no general surfing. Exceptions are only to book a new hotel if needed; google maps if sidetrip is not downloaded; and personal email for family information/possible updates.

We try very hard to "live in the moment" and not "behind a lens". He actively reminds me to put the camera down and just enjoy "being there now" instead of wanting to look back on it later. I actively remind him that work will wait for when we get home and they can survive without him.

It works for us.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, KristinLM said:

We are on the Encore for the 1 week Alaska Cruise from Seattle on 22. May. We get home on the 31st of May.

I hope to have a lot of positive stories and information (hoping everything runs smoothly). Despite the many questions here, we are actually very laid back people (I think, quite subjectively). You have all given us the best start possible.

I will try to remember to post a cruise experience thread--but after we get home.

We (my husband and I) have a strict "no internet" policy when on vacation. No social media, no general surfing. Exceptions are only to book a new hotel if needed; google maps if sidetrip is not downloaded; and personal email for family information/possible updates.

We try very hard to "live in the moment" and not "behind a lens". He actively reminds me to put the camera down and just enjoy "being there now" instead of wanting to look back on it later. I actively remind him that work will wait for when we get home and they can survive without him.

It works for us.

Good for you, and have a great cruise!

On the Encore in Jan. There is a burger section in the buffet, Garden Cafe. I asked the server for a veggie burger. She ran "backstage" to bring one out, grilled it. Told me to come back in 5 minutes to pick up. It was great. Encore had great food and drink options. One of our favorite ships. Enjoy!

• 1 month later...

Oh, my! THANK YOU! I have just started reading the thread and it is the type of info I have been looking for. We aren't opposed to doing vegetarian, if needed, but any and all help is appreciated. May good cruising karma be yours to enjoy! 😀

• Like 2