joy in norfolk VA.

I was just looking at the Bermuda travel advisory for our travel authorization and saw that the Joy disembarked yesterday . So i went to the marine travel web site to see if the Joy was in Norfolk and then the projected route of the ship when it leaves Norfork. It looks like the ship arrived via a coastal route. However,  it looks like the route of departure is up through the cheapeake bay , then across the chesapepeake and Delaware canal and then exiting the Delaware bay in route to Bermuda. Is this correct? why not just exit straight away to the open ocean. Also, is this an interesting, way to go? Are there things that make this journy worth being on deck for, interesting landscape, tight passage or navagation, passing landmarks. passing through locks, etc..  I thought this looked interesting but no idea. . When the iternery changed and a sea day was turned into a port day ( norfolk ) i was not that excited.  this might make the passage more interesting , maybe not . I just thought i might ask on the CC site and more nautically minded folk could give some insight.  AND hay --  yeah do i have to pay tax on those drinks now that I am in US waters so Long ---- hay now.  NOW i got lots of questions, next the JOY bridge cam. thanks 

There is only way one in and out of port and that's via Chesapeake Bay. the way the ship comes in is the way ship goes out to open ocean

This is due to the way how the shipping channels works with a ship this size. Don't forget there is about 30ft of ship under the water

• Like 1