Vancouver Embarkation

LCW

Would like to hear how embarkation is going at Vancouver, now that we're moving to 'post-pandemic'.  

We are staying at the Pan Pacific, so plan to get our bags checked onboard thru the hotel. Suite passengers, so supposedly there is a priority embarkation line?  Selected 1st boarding group.  

So, do they still have the priority embarkation?  What issues, if any, has anyone encountered?  Does the covid test requirement slow do the process significantly?

We're not leaving until 2 Jul, but this is our 1st post-pandemic cruise, so looking wondering how different it is from prior cruises.

We boarded Royal Princess at Vancouver on May 2. Two ships were boarding that day. Not that much different than in the past but the bottom line is everyone (both ships) is in one long lineup for port security and then US customs. So the times selected in order to spread the crowd out means nothing. Masks required here but I would say 3-5% couldn't be bothered even in a long crowded lineup. 

Once through this there is an “ArriveCan completed” check that you get through in a couple of minutes if you have your QR code printed or saved in your device. They aren’t confirming the details, just that you appear to know about it and have done it. This tripped me up for 3-4 minutes along with many other people. But then we were on to the Princess checkin area where the wait was just a few minutes and it was time to board. BUT, we were boarding Royal Princess that had been at dock for several days preparing for her firsts cruise in 26 months. So no wait for disembarkation to complete and we were onboard by noon, probably just over an hour after arriving at the port. There may be priority boarding at this point once there is a wait to board but this part of the wait is minor compared to the wait to get to checkin. But all things considered, it wasn’t bad.

• Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, AE_Collector said:

We boarded Royal Princess at Vancouver on May 2. Two ships were boarding that day. Not that much different than in the past but the bottom line is everyone (both ships) is in one long lineup for port security and then US customs. So the times selected in order to spread the crowd out means nothing. Masks required here but I would say 3-5% couldn't be bothered even in a long crowded lineup. 

Once through this there is an “ArriveCan completed” check that you get through in a couple of minutes if you have your QR code printed or saved in your device. They aren’t confirming the details, just that you appear to know about it and have done it. This tripped me up for 3-4 minutes along with many other people. But then we were on to the Princess checkin area where the wait was just a few minutes and it was time to board. BUT, we were boarding Royal Princess that had been at dock for several days preparing for her firsts cruise in 26 months. So no wait for disembarkation to complete and we were onboard by noon, probably just over an hour after arriving at the port. There may be priority boarding at this point once there is a wait to board but this part of the wait is minor compared to the wait to get to checkin. But all things considered, it wasn’t bad.

• Thanks 1

May 4 th Discovery Princess- time for us was 1 hour. Luggage taken from taxi, at room by 2 pm.

arrive can was not needed for this cruise. We asked at check in.

suite &  elite were in same line to right and was very long.

this terminal requires a lot of walking.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Pstcrik said:

Yes once you complete ArriveCan online it gives you a QR code on the screen and emails it to you as well. I think it is needed ultimately only for Arrival into Canada so if boarding in Vancouver with no other Canadian stops on the cruise it likely isn’t needed at boarding. If you are coming to Vancouver from the US for a cruise you will need an ArriveCan completed for arrival to Canada before the cruise. 

Edited by AE_Collector

Regardless of your status with the cruiseline, you’re SOL when it comes to the lines for security and US border formalities.   There are two configurations Vancouver uses.  One flow puts cruise line check in activities first, at the “convention center” floor, and then hauls people downstairs for security and CBP.  In that flow, Elite and Suite guests get some minor priority in getting through the cruise line tasks, but everyone ends up lumped together to be released to downstairs in groups of 50 or so. 

In the second flow, when fewer ships are in port, it’s a free-for-all to get in the security/CBP lane and then the cruiseline tasks happen afterwards on the Cruise level.  Here, there are separate boarding queues for Elite/Suite guests *and they may be useful* early in the boarding process.  

Vancouver, all up, is the *worst* Princess home port for boarding because the CBP pre clearance facility is a massive chokepoint. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VibeGuy said:

Vancouver, all up, is the *worst* Princess home port for boarding because the CBP pre clearance facility is a massive chokepoint. 

I believe that the security is US Security - not Canada Border Control.  USA requires pre-clearance.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, dog said:

The line ups were to check in with Princess. Security no line at all.  Very quick.

Genuinely shocking.  In two dozen boardings at Canada Place, I can think of three that weren’t clogged at the queue to security, usually due to CBP capacity issues behind there. 

17 hours ago, VibeGuy said:

Genuinely shocking.  In two dozen boardings at Canada Place, I can think of three that weren’t clogged at the queue to security, usually due to CBP capacity issues behind there. 

We must of hit it at the right time.

security/ customs - we had one couple ahead of us. Asked about my citizenship and looked at our passports.

I have heard various times for this boarding- less then 30 minutes to over 2 hours.

last heard from Captain there are 1800 passengers on this sailing.