Boarding identification question

25 minutes ago, BonnieH said:

My daughter never changed her name on her passport when she got married.  Can we just bring her PP, marriage cert and DL?  (out of Port Canaveral)

Is your daughter booked with Carnival under the name on her passport?  If not, if she is booked as Selena Jones (married name), but her passport says Selena Smith (maiden name)?  If so, the check-in system will probably alert, and a check-in supervisor may have to become involved.

Always best to have your passport in your current legal name, or at least book your cruise under your legal name, and not your social name.

1 hour ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Is your daughter booked with Carnival under the name on her passport?  If not, if she is booked as Selena Jones (married name), but her passport says Selena Smith (maiden name)?  If so, the check-in system will probably alert, and a check-in supervisor may have to become involved.

Always best to have your passport in your current legal name, or at least book your cruise under your legal name, and not your social name.

She's booked under her married name.  We are going to take her birth cert, marriage cert, current PP and DL.  If I need to check her in using her DL, I can do that since it's in her married name.

Edited by BonnieH

4 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Always good to get practical advice from the front lines.

Do you often run into the different name problem between married name and maiden name on the identification a woman provides?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Always good to get practical advice from the front lines.

Do you often run into the different name problem between married name and maiden name on the identification a woman provides?

Not really with the booking name (married v maiden), but when we do it takes a supervisor or pier coordinator to deal with it.  It's above a regular check-in agent's pay grade!  LOL

Married women using their BC are easy as we check the first & middle name along with the date of birth against the driver's license.  As long as it all matches up, they are good to go.

Sometimes I think passengers don't believe we actually look at these documents.  A few years back we had a much older couple come thru.  She was the 2nd wife, he was a widower.  She couldn't find her BC, so she brought the deceased first wife's as her own.  They must have thought we wouldn't' look too closely since they were in their 80's.

After we caught it she was given an opportunity to call back home and someone found a copy of her actual BC, who then sent an electronic copy to the pier.  They were able to board the ship.  

Made a great story though!

• Like 1

The important things to remember here is that the name on the reservation and drivers license must match in every detail. You don't need an enhanced or real ID version at this time. If you are using your birth certificate the name must also match. If it does not, you need a marriage license, adoption or legal name change document to back it up. Make sure your date of birth matches on your documents and Carnival booking. 

One last piece of advice, don't leave the country without a passport unless you like to do a hand stand while jumping rope to get a dispensation from foreign authorities should something go sideways.

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Not really with the booking name (married v maiden), but when we do it takes a supervisor or pier coordinator to deal with it.  It's above a regular check-in agent's pay grade!  LOL

Married women using their BC are easy as we check the first & middle name along with the date of birth against the driver's license.  As long as it all matches up, they are good to go.

Sometimes I think passengers don't believe we actually look at these documents.  A few years back we had a much older couple come thru.  She was the 2nd wife, he was a widower.  She couldn't find her BC, so she brought the deceased first wife's as her own.  They must have thought we wouldn't' look too closely since they were in their 80's.

After we caught it she was given an opportunity to call back home and someone found a copy of her actual BC, who then sent an electronic copy to the pier.  They were able to board the ship.  

Made a great story though!

You must have a lot of great stories!

And you and your colleagues actually do your job and read the documents. I guess there are a lot of people who unfortunately find someone actually taking their job seriously surprising. 🤦‍♂️

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2022 at 1:32 AM, Kclovesken said:

I am currently trying to confirm boarding ID needed. My mother doesn't have a passport we are doing a 3 day cruise out of Long Beach. I just did a small one with her on NCL with her driver's license and her birth certificate and it was fine. Now I am being told for carnival that is not allowed? 

We did get her a passport but is has not as of now arrived. Any assistance would be much appreciated. 

IT'S FINE.  A standard government issued photo ID (DL or state ID card) and an officially issued birth certificate are all that's required.  Anything more than this is nothing more than a recommendation.  We have been on numerous cruises with only BC and DL.  Just make sure they match the booking name.