Emerald Azzurra Anyone?

FlossieC

1 hour ago, Don P said:

We didn’t lose any luggage although we did flight changes from Florida to Hawaii.  Our non-stop to Aruba we had no problem.  We have several flight changes going to Dubrovnik and do not want to risk the possibility.  We’re off to the New Jersey shore this week and are only doing carry-on.

We’ve read so many anecdotal stories about lost luggage we simply want to avoid the possibility.

We’ll be gone a total of 11 days as we have “pre” and “post” hotel stays.  I am aware that there are self-service laundry capabilities onboard along with an iron.  That will work for us.

So, I just got off the phone with Emerald to find out that our "backpack" and "wallet" will not be shipped to our house until AFTER we get back from our Emerald Azzurra trip.  They are saying that they have none in their warehouse and unfortunately they are unable to get them to us in time for our trip.  I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I'm guessing that it would've been nice to get them in time based on other comments I've read on this forum.  Any thoughts?

6 hours ago, Breeze1234 said:

So, I just got off the phone with Emerald to find out that our "backpack" and "wallet" will not be shipped to our house until AFTER we get back from our Emerald Azzurra trip.  They are saying that they have none in their warehouse and unfortunately they are unable to get them to us in time for our trip.  I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but I'm guessing that it would've been nice to get them in time based on other comments I've read on this forum.  Any thoughts?

We didn't get our Scenic backpacks until after we had left for Europe [because we were taking a prior cruise] – but we wouldn't have used them anyway because (1) they are very heavy, and (2) too many identical backpacks is a recipe for confusion.

16 hours ago, Breeze1234 said:

Seems odd considering the length of time between booking (and paying for) the cruise and your sail date.  I do however agree that 100 duplicate backpacks could be a recipe for disaster.

We flew yesterday from Florida to New Jersey for a week’s vacation WITHOUT checking luggage!  We’re enjoying some beach time at the Jersey shore.  We were able to prove to ourselves that we can pack a week’s worth of clothes into an overhead size suitcase and a backpack.  That confirms our decision for our Azzurra cruise……we will not be checking luggage.

Hello - we are booked on the Oct.22 Azzurra sailing out of Rome.  I’ve been struggling to figure out how to book any excursions, and hopefully someone on here can help me….  I’ve created an online account and filled in all the required information (passport, etc) but there is nothing there about tours.  My travel agent said she called and they told her to look under “tasks” and fill it out there.  Great, except there is nothing that says “tasks”.  I have spent countless hours on hold with Emerald and have never gotten through.  My TA says she has the same phone number so she can’t help me.  Can any of you who have been on the Azzurra or are booked for the future tell me how you handled this?  Thanks!  

Hi There

I originally started this thread as could not find any 'real' passenger reviews anywhere.  So big thank you for responses especially Enjoynit for such a fab insight.

My other half booked this as a surprise trip for a Birthday treat we sail 10th September.  We have just had an Emerald email with Pre Cruise info....basically covering potential problems with   Flights ,Lost luggage etc.  Not totally inspiring but guess covering the basics.

We have found the 'Already booked' account very basic and obviously you cannot book Trips until on board which is fine for us.

Really looking forward to our trip

On Excursions:  We had used the PDF that was sent to us when we booked our cabin.  (The filename ends in "Tour".)  You will notice that there are 1) included excursions (FREE), 2) DiscoverMORE excursions (MUST BE BOOKED AND PAID FOR in advance), 3) DiscoverACTIVE (FREE, I BELIEVE) and 4) DiscoverPLUS (FREE, I BELIEVE).  I checked off the ones that we wanted to BOOK and PAY FOR and called to coordinate.   The rep. took my credit card information over the phone and then sent me a new pdf file (that ends with "Guest") that shows all the "paid for" items, including the cruise itself....(like an updated invoice).  I believe that you have to book excursions 48 hours in advance....so it may not be possible to book while on the ship.   (After reading this "roll call", it appears as some many excursions get cancelled because there are not enough people signed up.)  Hopefully this helps! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/12/2022 at 4:27 PM, Don P said:

Just received our travel docs for our 9/3/22 sailing.  Pleased with arrangements for picking up and transporting us to our hotel the day before sailing from Dubrovnik.  Also good to know details for our transfer from the hotel to the Azzurra.

Having this information allows us to make plans for our Saturday evening in Dubrovnik.  Thinking of light meal and some sundown sightseeing.

Lessons we have learned from several flights this year.  We will not be checking any luggage.  A carry-on suitcase and a backpack for each of us will allow us to bypass the luggage carousels.

The trip just got more real.

Don and Carole P.

Lakewood Ranch, FL

We (also former Central NJ residents) are on the same 9/3 sailing but are still waiting for our Travel Docs as they have continually changed our flight arrangements for our return flights (can't fathom why it's taking so long but maybe this will make our quota for travel glitches this trip!) Hope to see you on board!

John & Peggy

The Villages, FL

55 minutes ago, 2onboardagain said:

We (also former Central NJ residents) are on the same 9/3 sailing but are still waiting for our Travel Docs as they have continually changed our flight arrangements for our return flights (can't fathom why it's taking so long but maybe this will make our quota for travel glitches this trip!) Hope to see you on board!

John & Peggy

The Villages, FL

We booked our flights independently from Sarasota to Newark to Paris and then onto Dubrovnik.  I’ve been checking flight status daily since yesterday and thus far all is good.  Our return is from Athens to Wash. D.C. and then to Tampa.

we fly out on the 1st of September and return on the 11th.

Don and Carole P.

1 hour ago, Don P said:

We booked our flights independently from Sarasota to Newark to Paris and then onto Dubrovnik.  I’ve been checking flight status daily since yesterday and thus far all is good.  Our return is from Athens to Wash. D.C. and then to Tampa.

we fly out on the 1st of September and return on the 11th.

Don and Carole P.

Our outbound is multiple flights like yours: Orlando to Vienna to Dubrovnik. (we are flying out on the 2nd to arrive and head straight to the yacht. Weather forecast in Dubrovnik on the 3rd is calling for rain) Our return is Athens to Toronto to Orlando. 

Flying is always a gamble when there are connecting flights. Last year we flew to Athens arriving on the day of our cruise departure and the connections were VERY tight but somehow we and our luggage made it together. While on the ship we met a couple from New Smyrna who booked flights for the day before missed their flight from Toronto to Athens and the airline rebooked them on a Toronto to London to Athens flight (they made it BUT their luggage didn't catch up until the day before we disembarked the ship) so there are no guarantees in this current crazy world of travel! See you in 5 days!

12 hours ago, 2onboardagain said:

Our outbound is multiple flights like yours: Orlando to Vienna to Dubrovnik. (we are flying out on the 2nd to arrive and head straight to the yacht. Weather forecast in Dubrovnik on the 3rd is calling for rain) Our return is Athens to Toronto to Orlando. 

Flying is always a gamble when there are connecting flights. Last year we flew to Athens arriving on the day of our cruise departure and the connections were VERY tight but somehow we and our luggage made it together. While on the ship we met a couple from New Smyrna who booked flights for the day before missed their flight from Toronto to Athens and the airline rebooked them on a Toronto to London to Athens flight (they made it BUT their luggage didn't catch up until the day before we disembarked the ship) so there are no guarantees in this current crazy world of travel! See you in 5 days!

We have each managed to pack everything into our onboard luggage and a backpack.  We tried this on a recent flight to New Jersey earlier this month and it worked well for each of us.  Obvious benefit was we didn’t have to go to the luggage carousel to get our bags..  I read that there is an iron and an ironing board on the ship.  I admit this isn’t for everyone but we liked the end result.

what part of Central Jersey are you from?

2 hours ago, Don P said:

We have each managed to pack everything into our onboard luggage and a backpack.  We tried this on a recent flight to New Jersey earlier this month and it worked well for each of us.  Obvious benefit was we didn’t have to go to the luggage carousel to get our bags..  I read that there is an iron and an ironing board on the ship.  I admit this isn’t for everyone but we liked the end result.

what part of Central Jersey are you from?

We haven't been able to go "cold turkey" on our "checked luggage" addiction yet but will definitely be trying that "carry on" strategy (recommended by Emerald Cruises).

We lived in the Trenton area and through the years were residents of Hamilton, Ewing, Lawrence and Washington Townships. And you?

3 hours ago, 2onboardagain said:

We haven't been able to go "cold turkey" on our "checked luggage" addiction yet but will definitely be trying that "carry on" strategy (recommended by Emerald Cruises).

We lived in the Trenton area and through the years were residents of Hamilton, Ewing, Lawrence and Washington Townships. And you?

I just finished packing my carry-on suitcase and will do the backpack next.  If I’m fortunate I’ll have one more outfit in my backpack.  We’ll be arriving in Dubrovnik early in the afternoon on the 2nd.

We lived in Sayreville, NJ for 30+ and moved to Florida in ‘05.

1 hour ago, Don P said:

I just finished packing my carry-on suitcase and will do the backpack next.  If I’m fortunate I’ll have one more outfit in my backpack.  We’ll be arriving in Dubrovnik early in the afternoon on the 2nd.

We lived in Sayreville, NJ for 30+ and moved to Florida in ‘05.

We moved to Florida the year before you and were promptly greeted, in close succession, by Hurricanes Charley, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne (we wondered what we had done to ourselves but being in the center of the Florida Peninsula has it benefits as those storms came at us from every direction but in all cases the winds subsided to less than Hurricane Force by the time they reached us).

We are in the midst of finally packing as we did receive an emailed copy of our travel docs (sans luggage tags but hopefully they will arrive in the next couple of days) Cannot wait to be at sea again!

Can’t believe it……got everything into our carry-ons with room to spare.  Florida was best move we ever made!  We were at the Jersey shore in July and while we miss the pizza we don’t miss the property and state income taxes!

• Like 1

Unfortunately we will not be making the trip for this week’s sailing.  I tested positive for COVID yesterday and am unable to travel.  This was to be a 50th anniversary celebration for us.  

it hurts.

8 hours ago, Don P said:

Unfortunately we will not be making the trip for this week’s sailing.  I tested positive for COVID yesterday and am unable to travel.  This was to be a 50th anniversary celebration for us.  

it hurts.

So very sorry to hear your news especially as a special Anniversary.

Get well soon.

14 hours ago, Don P said:

it hurts.

So very sorry to hear that Don as I was really looking forward to meeting you on board Azzurra. Hope it is a mild case and that you can travel soon!

Excuse me, but may I ask what Emerald will do in your situation? Must you go through your insurance or are they willing to refund or reschedule?

1 hour ago, 2onboardagain said:

So very sorry to hear that Don as I was really looking forward to meeting you on board Azzurra. Hope it is a mild case and that you can travel soon!

Excuse me, but may I ask what Emerald will do in your situation? Must you go through your insurance or are they willing to refund or reschedule?

Emerald does not offer any reimbursement or credit toward a future cruise.  We knew this in advance and therefore we purchased travel insurance.  We are expecting to be reimbursed.  I understood the rules when I booked but was hoping Emerald might offer a future cruise perhaps at this year’s prices.  I paid $814 for the insurance and would have hoped Emerald would have matched that amount but no, that’s not their stated policy.

What hurts as well is that this itinerary is no longer available in their future cruise offerings.  

All of our airlines and hotels offered full reimbursement.

I am currently taking Paxlovid for my COVID.  It is helpful.  Unfortunately I did not get a mild case of COVID.  I feel sorry for my wife.  She has always wanted to cruise the Greek islands.  We will see what’s available for next year.

I am not a happy camper.

Edited by Don P

Don

Sorry to hear about your covid

after all your preparations  I was looking forward to your  review

One question  how big were the carry on bags you practiced with?

I have  a 21 in bag  I have done  1 wk cruises with

Get well soon

5 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Don

Sorry to hear about your covid

after all your preparations  I was looking forward to your  review

One question  how big were the carry on bags you practiced with?

I have  a 21 in bag  I have done  1 wk cruises with

Get well soon

21”x9”x14”.  The 9” depth expanded to 10” when fully packed.  My back pack only carried my electronics and personal hygiene items.  My suitcase remains packed as I’m not feeling well enough to empty it.

Have a safe flight and enjoy the trip.

• Thanks 1

On 9/1/2022 at 12:15 AM, Don P said:

it hurts.

Sorry to read this. Hope you will be ok