Deposit for a single cruise that can be booked as two segments

Astro Flyer

We have an Option on our first Oceania cruise & have a question about deposits.

It’s a 20 day booking that can also be booked as 13 & 7 day segments and the Guest Statement shows a total deposit of $3,000 for the two of us (four $750 deposits). We’ve primarily cruised on Princess & in such situations deposit is based on how it’s booked & not on the number of shorter included cruises…one cruise, one deposit.

I know there are too many uninformed Princess call center reps who provide too much incorrect info. I don’t know how common that happens with Oceania & thus seeking input from those who have sailed on Oceania. Any insights would be appreciated as we begin the process of moving up to a great Oceania cruise for a milestone birthday. Good friends speak highly about their preferred Oceania cruise line’s experiences & we’re eager to experience it.

Thanks for any info.

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

We have an Option on our first Oceania cruise & have a question about deposits.

It’s a 20 day booking that can also be booked as 13 & 7 day segments and the Guest Statement shows a total deposit of $3,000 for the two of us (four $750 deposits). We’ve primarily cruised on Princess & in such situations deposit is based on how it’s booked & not on the number of shorter included cruises…one cruise, one deposit.

I know there are too many uninformed Princess call center reps who provide too much incorrect info. I don’t know how common that happens with Oceania & thus seeking input from those who have sailed on Oceania. Any insights would be appreciated as we begin the process of moving up to a great Oceania cruise for a milestone birthday. Good friends speak highly about their preferred Oceania cruise line’s experiences & we’re eager to experience it.

Thanks for any info.

When you do book o and see your O invoice, you’ll find that deposits are based on Cruise length. Though a “single” cruise to you, you are booking 2 segments  per person. Ergo, 4 x the usual $750/person/segment (i.e., $3000).

Once you become an O regular and start booking on board with the lesser $250 basic deposit, the equivalent of your current 2 segment cruise will still work out to be $250 per person per segment (i.e., $1000).

42 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

When you do book o and see your O invoice, you’ll find that deposits are based on Cruise length. Though a “single” cruise to you, you are booking 2 segments  per person. Ergo, 4 x the usual $750/person/segment (i.e., $3000).

Once you become an O regular and start booking on board with the lesser $250 basic deposit, the equivalent of your current 2 segment cruise will still work out to be $250 per person per segment (i.e., $1000).

Thank you very much for the explanation of the O deposit procedure.

So we’ll need to book onboard to get $250 deposits after our first O cruise…that option is not available post cruise using a TA, correct? My friends who cruise O have answered many of my questions but not about deposits.

We’re eager to experience O & as our TA said she wasn’t surprised that we found our way to O and that it’d be a great fit for us after nearly 500 days with Princess.

Edited by Astro Flyer

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Your cruise is probably classed as  a Grand Voyage

Those  cruises require deposits of $1500. PP

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/legal/terms-conditions/

In reality, there currently exist only 3 Oceania “Grand Voyages” (all in late 2023/early 2024. Two (and the occasional 3) segment cruises of less than approx 60 days total are “extended journeys” (which have less extensive perks than the true “Grand Voyages” of years ago [now recently reintroduced]). The use of the term Grand Voyages on the website (and even in the T&Cs) is another (not uncommon) O contradiction in terms (in this case, an erroneous artifact correctly changed in one dept. but not in another). However, most of the print brochures of the past few years do correctly list the “extended journeys” in their own section. (Since I stopped their being sent to us, I don’t have an example to post).

That said, any published multi-segment O cruise regularly has a double $750 pp deposit (I.e., $1500 pp). For “book onboards,” it’s double that regular $250 pp deposit ($500 pp)

BTW, If you’ve got an upcoming cruise within 30 days, you can call O and get the book onboard pricing/perks/guarantees on a future cruise. This is very helpful if the timing is right for newly opened itineraries.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thank you very much for the explanation of the O deposit procedure.

So we’ll need to book onboard to get $250 deposits after our first O cruise…that option is not available post cruise using a TA, correct? My friends who cruise O have answered many of my questions but not about deposits.

We’re eager to experience O & as our TA said she wasn’t surprised that we found our way to O and that it’d be a great fit for us after nearly 500 days with Princess.

If you’ve got an upcoming cruise within 30 days, you can call O and get the “book onboard” pricing/perks/guarantees on a future cruise. This is very helpful if the timing is right for newly opened itineraries.

BTW, once booked onboard (or w/i the 30 pre-cruise window) you have a 30 day transfer window to move it to a TA for their added perks.

Out of curiosity I searched for grand voyages on Vista for the month I booked my 20 day cruise, sailing in 2024. When the 2024 itineraries opened up, I  was required to make a $1500 deposit for my solo Concierge cabin. There it was, my 20 day itinerary was listed under grand voyages. Seems like a short grand voyage.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhD-iva said:

Out of curiosity I searched for grand voyages on Vista for the month I booked my 20 day cruise, sailing in 2024. When the 2024 itineraries opened up, I  was required to make a $1500 deposit for my solo Concierge cabin. There it was, my 20 day itinerary was listed under grand voyages. Seems like a short grand voyage.

How long should  a GV be?

They just roll 2 consecutive cruises into  one  charge a bit less  because they know pax will want to do that itinerary

marketing!

2 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

43 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

How long should  a GV be?

They just roll 2 consecutive cruises into  one  charge a bit less  because they know pax will want to do that itinerary

marketing!

Just to clarify (again). The title in Find My Cruise on the O website called “Grand Voyages” should also say “and Extended Journeys,” which wouldn’t fit in the space.

When O stopped publishing/marketing the much longer “Grand Journeys” several years ago, they never changed the “find my cruise” name for multi-segments to “extended journeys” which was (for quite some time) only “extended journeys.”

It  has been true that it could be considered just semantics. But, now with the 3 true Grand Voyages (at least 3 segments totaling more than two months) published, it’s important to realize that there is a difference in the amenities (true Grand Voyages have some of what is provided to ATW cruisers.

The print brochures in recent years did have a multi-segment section and correctly called it “Extended Journeys.” As mentioned in a previous post, they’re just two (occasionally 3) adjacent segments marketed together but with a sometimes significant  discount. And there can be +\- when it comes to the perks.

Bottom line: Always do the math.

18 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you’ve got an upcoming cruise within 30 days, you can call O and get the “book onboard” pricing/perks/guarantees on a future cruise. This is very helpful if the timing is right for newly opened itineraries.

BTW, once booked onboard (or w/i the 30 pre-cruise window) you have a 30 day transfer window to move it to a TA for their added perks.

Thanks again…very helpful info.

We’re booking Regatta’s 20-day “Alaska & California Treasures” (not a Grand Voyage) in September 2023 & got our preferred category…it’s nice to have only one flight.

Edited by Astro Flyer

1 hour ago, Astro Flyer said:

Thanks again…very helpful info.

We’re booking Regatta’s 20-day “Alaska & California Treasures” (not a Grand Voyage) in September 2023 & got our preferred category…it’s nice to have only one flight.

What you mean is “not an ‘extended journey’”

(too short for a true “grand voyage” like the three currently available in late 2023 - early 2024 - all of which are more than 2 months long).

Enjoy your cruise!

• Thanks 1