Travel Insurance - Canadians

willise

We have a cruise planned for January 2023 and as I understand it, all passengers have to provide proof of a negative COVID test prior to boarding.

Having never purchased travel insurance before (have a great plan with my employer), I am curious about the type of coverage I require, should I unexpectedly test positive prior to boarding the cruise.

1. Do any of the Canadian credit cards have this coverage? I looked at the T&C of my RBC Avionics Infinite Privilege card, but could not find COVID as a valid reason for trip cancellation.

2. If I purchase NCL insurance with my final payment, am I correct in understanding that the cost of the cruise is reimbursed if we have a positive test? Would quarantine costs also be covered for hotels, if needed?

This will be our first time cruising where I could be denied boarding for a reason outside of my control.

Thanks!

Here is a link to a recent article re: travel insurance for travel this summer. Food for thought. https://www.cntraveler.com/story/travel-insurance-companies-add-permanent-pandemic-coverage

NCL has a link re: their COVID policy https://www.ncl.com/ca/en/refund-and-cancellation-policy-covid-19 - but if you read the 'fine print' it states that the following information applies to all sailings scheduled during the nationally declared Public Health Emergency involving COVID-19.  It will likely be possible that by Jan of next year there will no longer be a nationally declared Public Health Emergency.  (But then am curious as to how NCL will treat those who have booked a cruise for travel later this year will be reimbursed if one gets COVID but there is no longer a 'public health emergency.' - something to ask our TA.)

Edited by FM
  • Like 1

I would suggest speaking to a travel agent. Currently there's a lot to unpack in this....January is a lifetime away in travel right now. 

Depending where you are sailing from quarantine may not be an issue.  For example, right now if you were to travel to the UK, you need no test to enter the country, they have essentially declared the pandemic over.  Should you test positive, and are denied boarding you can change your ticket and fly home, Canadians do not require a negative test to come home.  Now if you were a US citizen, you need to have some sort of trip interruption insurance.  Because you would need to cover extra hotel time etc until you either test negative or can get a fit to fly (notice of recovery letter) to come home.

If NCL denies you boarding, it may fall under a cancel for any reason policy, or trip interruption.  BEST speak to a pro, and not risk your travel investment. Whether you prefer to go to something like CAA for just the insurance, or a TA is up to you, but things are changing fast still, better safe than sorry.

• Like 1