Bringing wine on board in Italy... transit only

We are doing a week in France before our Greek Isles cruise out of Ravenna, and a week in Italy afterwards.

I'm looking into options for bringing a selection of wines home from our trip. (I am considering all the hassle factors.. right now just want to know what our options are.)

Has anyone brought a case of wine on board and collected it at the end of the trip?

On a related note, do the European/Italian cruises have a more local selection of wines on board? That might factor into whether we bring a couple of bottles in our carry-on bag.

Thanks!!!

2 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

Has anyone brought a case of wine on board and collected it at the end of the trip?

Not sure it matters what happened to anyone else as what will happen to you may very well depend on the staff at the port at the time you board. They may take the whole case and dump it, they could keep it and give it back at the end of the cruise or they may just let you through with it. What RCI stocks on the ship can vary but they may have something local but count on the usual selection as the default offerings.

Biker, who wouldn't bother with the hassle and enjoy any local wine on land.

2 hours ago, cruisin from florida said:

I'm looking into options for bringing a selection of wines home from our trip

Lots of cellar doors across the different French wine regions will ship directly to your home, no need to carry with you.

35 minutes ago, Missusdubbya said:

Lots of cellar doors across the different French wine regions will ship directly to your home, no need to carry with you.

I am thinking that rather than buy full cases as we visit wineries, we may want to buy a bottle here and there. Again, I understand that having RCCL carry it for a week may not be the best option. I'm just trying to find out if it's an option at all.

On a Royal Caribbean cruise pre Covid we did an excursion to a winery in Italy. We purchased approximately six bottles at the winery and returned to the ship. At the security checkpoint we were waved thru and allowed to bring the wine back to our cabin. For some reason that day they were more concerned about the small bottles of olive oil that we also purchased.