Carnival Corp "leaving HMC alone"

FlaMariner

If it is true that Seabourn is on the block to be sold by CCL because of financial concerns, then, there is NO good reason at this time to spend money on a new private island development.  

12 hours ago, AFNavigator said:

All have cable TV, WIFI, air conditioning, etc., and Hillside even have hot tubs

Why are such amenities needed for what I thought a Private Island experience ought to be?  

One needs a "hot tub"?  Try the warm waters of the Caribbean with the waves washing around you.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

If it is true that Seabourn is on the block to be sold by CCL because of financial concerns, then, there is NO good reason at this time to spend money on a new private island development.  

Why are such amenities needed for what I thought a Private Island experience ought to be?  

One needs a "hot tub"?  Try the warm waters of the Caribbean with the waves washing around you.  

Sorry if I was unclear.  I was attempting to point out that CCL has a good template for building and maintaining nice cabanas.  Instead, they are letting the rustic HMC cabanas degrade, yet are charging a premium compared to the Amber Cove cabanas which are better equipped and maintained.  I agree that the Amber Cove cabana amenities aren't "needed" at HMC but then again, are big screen TVs on the side of jumbo RVs needed either?  It's a matter of personal choice.

By the way, HMC's "Beach Villas" (the 2 story buildings) have hot tubs.  Perhaps there is a demand for hot tubs during cooler winter months or for those who choose not to enter the ocean for a variety of reasons. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AFNavigator said:

Sorry if I was unclear.  I was attempting to point out that CCL has a good template for building and maintaining nice cabanas.  Instead, they are letting the rustic HMC cabanas degrade, yet are charging a premium compared to the Amber Cove cabanas which are better equipped and maintained.  I agree that the Amber Cove cabana amenities aren't "needed" at HMC but then again, are big screen TVs on the side of jumbo RVs needed either?  It's a matter of personal choice.

By the way, HMC's "Beach Villas" (the 2 story buildings) have hot tubs.  Perhaps there is a demand for hot tubs during cooler winter months or for those who choose not to enter the ocean for a variety of reasons. 

If I was going to rent anything on hmc it would be the beach villa. I had the opportunity to walk through one and they are quite nice.  I wouldn’t pay $50 for the cabanas on hmc.  They are not appealing to me. I would definitely consider the cabanas on amber cove especially if I’m on a Princess ship where I likely wouldn’t have a cabana on the ship.

• Like 1

Why would I pay anything for any cabanas, villas, or whatever on HMC when I have the facilities of the ship available to me for the price of my cruise?  And, when all of the rest of you are off the ship paying more for what you could mostly experience on the ship, I will be enjoying the amenities of a partially empty ship.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

Why would I pay anything for any cabanas, villas, or whatever on HMC when I have the facilities of the ship available to me for the price of my cruise?  And, when all of the rest of you are off the ship paying more for what you could mostly experience on the ship, I will be enjoying the amenities of a partially empty ship.  

Everyone enjoys different things.  Some people spend thousands on spa appointments.  I’d rather do that at home for a quarter of the price.  I don’t want to spend my vacation inside either so I may pay for those items off the ship or a may not.  Depends on the ship and the line.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

I am not a fan of beaches so any "private island" is not to my liking. I usually consider them "sea" days and stay on an empty ship doing things on board without crowds.

Jim

I’d rather look at a beach than sit on one.  Getting that sand off can be fun and I hate to get sand in my cabin for the stewards to clean up.  Lately I haven’t gone to hmc because I had a bad experience there a couple years ago.  I really like amber cove but I usually don’t do the beach there.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

If cabanas had bathrooms, then I might consider renting one (only at a vastly lower price),

No bathroom......I'm not interested!!!!

I hear you 😛.  I drink a lot of water.  I’m pretty sure there was a bathroom in the villa on hmc.  I hear you on the cost too.  They used to rent them out cheaper to carnival ships if I remember correctly.  Don’t know if that is still the case.

• Like 2

On 5/24/2022 at 7:19 PM, rkacruiser said:

As I have posted, in my opinion, Ocean Cay, as it develops, will be the competitor to be in the cruise industry.  There is so much potential.  On Half Moon Cay, there needs to be an upscale beach experience similar to MSC's Yacht Club.  HAL provides something like that now with the cabanas and the Lobster dining venue (whatever it's name is).  But, it is not as upscale as MSC's YC facility.  

Can you tell me more about Ocean Cay and your experience there?  I'll be going there in 3 weeks on MSC Davina, but do not have the Yacht Club.  Do they get much more than the other passengers?  Are there any beaches as easy to walk into as Half Moon Cay?  I need to use my walking stick, so must have calm water, no rocks, and no drop offs.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mrs. Walkinman said:

Can you tell me more about Ocean Cay and your experience there?  I'll be going there in 3 weeks on MSC Davina, but do not have the Yacht Club.  Do they get much more than the other passengers?  Are there any beaches as easy to walk into as Half Moon Cay?  I need to use my walking stick, so must have calm water, no rocks, and no drop offs.

There are some beaches close to where your MSC ship will dock.  Paved walkways to the beach areas.  Once one is off the walkway, I do not know the consistency of the sand and its easy walkability.  I have learned that water shoes are recommended for some of the beaches on the island, but, I do not know which ones.  I suggest that you post your concerns on the MSC Message Board.  Like HAL's Message Board, many very nice people there.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I had a bad experience 

My Private Island bad experience was my very first on as a guest on MS Sunward II in 1979 just as this concept was starting.  Coco Cay was the site.  Lovely beach and beautiful waters with minimum facilities as compared to now.  But, Coco Cay had something that I have not experienced on HMC or Princess Cays or Ocean Cay:  sand fleas.  Nothing more than an irritant for awhile, but, an unwelcome guest that accompanied my traveling companion and me back to the Sunward II.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Mrs. Walkinman said:

There is a tram service for all passengers that will have stops at various locations on the island.

You will need to walk from the ship to the tram stop (inside the entrance gate walk to the arrival plaza and turn left. The covered tram stop is a short walk away.

Lighthouse Beach is the closest beach (first tram stop).

The sand on the beach is the same dredged sand used for the sand under the water.  It will also have bits of coral - wear water shoes to walk on the beach sand.

Yes, the beaches are as easy to walk into as Half Moon Cay.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2022 at 7:15 AM, AFNavigator said:

The HMC pier project may not be cancelled after all.  Some news articles appear to say it is off due to the Grand Bahamas project being started.  That is not what Christine Duffy said in her speech though.

Immediately following a quote from her about the $200M Grand Bahamas resort, this article, http://www.tribune242.com/news/2022/mar/11/here-stay-and-bringing-1000-jobs/?news, then quotes her as saying:

“Also $100m of enhancements are planned for the island of little San Salvador home to the beautiful beaches of Half Moon Cay. This project will include a new tender marina and a pier that will accommodate larger ships including our spectacular new flag ship Mardi Gras which was inaugurated last year and Carnival Celebration which we will unveil later this year in Miami."

That is good news..