Testing time when not eligible for booster

My 5 year old just completed his 2 dose vaccine series.  He is up-to-date with his covid vaccination and not eligible for a booster.  I know Carnival says he can test 3 days ahead a time. Does port authority recognize the finer points of the up-to-date definition?  It is easier for us to test 3 days ahead. 

I have heard many people think up to date means boosted, which is true if it’s been 5 months since your last dose. His last dose was 2 weeks ago and cruising in a week. 

edit: this is for Port Canaveral. 

Edited by OhioScubaGirl

I actually called Carnival on this since this latest booster was just approved and there is no way our 11 year old would be able to get boosted 14 days in advance of our sailing. Their position was to play it safe. Treat the child as vaccinated but not fully boosted. For a sailing this Saturday get tested Thursday vs Wednesday. 

Hope this helps…

I recently asked John Heald this very question. Here is my question and his response:

Hi John,

With the CDC’s Thursday update to booster recommendation for age 5-11 (https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2022/s0519-covid-booster-acip.html), will that mean our daughter that is 6 and has two original vaccinations now fall under the 2 day out testing requirement, rather than 3 days out?

We set sail next Saturday and have tests scheduled for Wednesday, so before we reschedule hers to Thursday I wanted to check on how fast Carnival applies the “up to date” qualification in this scenario.

With school about to let out I am sure many other family’s about to set sail will be affected by this and would hate for them to be told their child’s test was too far out unbeknownst to them.

Thanks!
Lance

38D651DC-E031-47CC-949D-147EC21F58ED.thumb.jpeg.e5e1c161651806c3b7ef8a085dee48cb.jpeg

Wow, not really helpful. That said, I'm in the same boat as you so I'm changing my youngest (10) to get his test 2 days prior versus 3 days to be safe. I will get him his booster next week after the cruise!

• Like 1

I got the same response from John Heald...basically, a non-response because it doesn't tell me whether my kids need a 2 day or a 3 day. We had already gotten them tested at 3 days. I went ahead and took them back to get another test the very next day because I didn't want to risk a problem during embarkation or having to pay $100 at the port for a test when I can get them for free at my local Walgreens. Fortunately, they were negative for both their 2 and 3 day tests. 

guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible.

taken from https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

if you are not eligible for a booster yet then you are up to date

seems simple to me

I don't get the controversy

We leave Saturday on the Horizon. I had tests for me(55) and my daughter(16) scheduled for Wed. I just went and changed them to Thursday because I'm nervous now that the CDC is recommending boosters for us both. All I need is to get to the terminal and for them to turn us away. It's just as easy to test the next day(and since it's rapid, we still have another day as a cushion if anything were to happen or delay the results).

Thanks, I realize this is a very confusing issue.  I am not complacent with vaccines I had my 8 and 10 year boosted on Friday, the first possible day it was recommended for that age group once they were 5 months past the 2nd dose.  My five year old cannot be boosted because he just got his second dose earlier this month.  Everyone is up-to-date per the CDC guidelines - I'm just not sure that port authority understands the finer points of CDC guidelines. 

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

guests who are up to date with their vaccines may take their test within three days prior to sailing. Up to date means a person has received all recommended COVID-19 vaccinations, including any booster dose, when eligible.

taken from https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/covid-19-guest-protocols?icid=advisory_cruisehealth_040122

if you are not eligible for a booster yet then you are up to date

seems simple to me

I don't get the controversy

Completely agree with you, but I've heard John Heald and my PVP misstate Carnival's policy. 

5 minutes ago, OhioScubaGirl said:

Completely agree with you, but I've heard John Heald and my PVP misstate Carnival's policy. 

And they will not help you when you are at the pier with incorrect information. You will be the one watching the ship sail away from the pier, not them. Not just about testing protocols but everything else. Carnival's COVID policies page is plainly written, and while it is very information dense it is clear.

I may have miscommunicated.  John and PVP have misstated up-to-date means boosted and stated that kids need to test 2 days ahead of time. (This was prior to the booster recommendation 5 months past 2nd shot for 5-11 year olds).   

I don't think a ship is going to leave anyone following the 2 day advice.  It is just much more convenient for those traveling early (like us) to test 3 days a head of time.  It is within Carnival's rules to test 3 days a head when you are up-to-date. I'm just counting on knowledgeable port authority.  Maybe that's too much to ask. 

1 hour ago, OhioScubaGirl said:

I may have miscommunicated.  John and PVP have misstated up-to-date means boosted and stated that kids need to test 2 days ahead of time. (This was prior to the booster recommendation 5 months past 2nd shot for 5-11 year olds).   

I don't think a ship is going to leave anyone following the 2 day advice.  It is just much more convenient for those traveling early (like us) to test 3 days a head of time.  It is within Carnival's rules to test 3 days a head when you are up-to-date. I'm just counting on knowledgeable port authority.  Maybe that's too much to ask. 

I have the same questions / concerns with the recent recommendation change for those over 50 (2nd booster if it has been more than 4 months since your first booster). Based on the CDC change, I will no longer be considered up-to-date, which means I will need to test 2 days, not 3 days, before the cruise. It would be most convenient for me to test 3 days before.

My PVP and Carnival Customer Service both say 3 days is fine, but that goes against their policy that refers to the current CDC recommendations, and they will not be the ones actually doing the verification at the pier. I decided to do a self-proctored home test early morning I leave home,  which is 2 days before the cruise, just to be safe.

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

I have the same questions / concerns with the recent recommendation change for those over 50 (2nd booster if it has been more than 4 months since your first booster). Based on the CDC change, I will no longer be considered up-to-date, which means I will need to test 2 days, not 3 days, before the cruise. It would be most convenient for me to test 3 days before.

My PVP and Carnival Customer Service both say 3 days is fine, but that goes against their policy that refers to the current CDC recommendations, and they will not be the ones actually doing the verification at the pier. I decided to do a self-proctored home test early morning I leave home,  which is 2 days before the cruise, just to be safe.

The self proctored tests are quickly going to be people's only option I think, as places like Walgreens and local counties/cities stop offering testing clinics. I hope Carnival and the cruise industry at large continues to put pressure on the CDC (and the destinations) to stop treating cruise travel differently than other forms of travel.

13 minutes ago, mz-s said:

The self proctored tests are quickly going to be people's only option I think, as places like Walgreens and local counties/cities stop offering testing clinics. I hope Carnival and the cruise industry at large continues to put pressure on the CDC (and the destinations) to stop treating cruise travel differently than other forms of travel.

I used CVS for my January cruise and Walgreen’s for my May 2 cruise with no problem. They are still offering the tests for free in my area. The issue is if you are leaving early morning two days before your cruise begins, you either have to try to find somewhere to test along the way or do the home proctored test.  Being able to test three days prior to the cruise let you test before driving or flying all the way to the port only to find out you test positive and can no longer board.