COVID testing for UK guests

We are cruising from Florida in June (assuming we pass our UK based COVID tests) and need to arrange our pre-cruise test (we are cruising at the end of our trip).

I have just tried purchasing the Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test via the RC website, for delivery to our hotel, but my credit card was declined (I assume because of the address not matching our card details).

Has anyone from the UK managed to complete a purchase? And if so, how did you get through the payment process?

YMMV but I always find it easier to buy a proctored lateral flow test in the UK, take it with me and book a video call from my hotel the morning before the cruise.

Qured, DocHQ and others offer proctored tests for under £20 which are happily accepted by Royal just as they are for entering the USA.

• Like 4

Although I have not done it, a lot of You Tube Cruiser Bloggers recommend Lab Doctor on 17th St. in Fort Lauderdale as a great way to get tested. No appointments needed and out in under 30 minutes with your result

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, boogybaby said:

We used lab doctor in Fortlauderdale results handed to us after 20 minutes, I can’t help with other parts of Florida

Apologies, we are cruising from Canaveral. I should have said that.

9 minutes ago, gumshoe958 said:

YMMV but I always find it easier to buy a proctored lateral flow test in the UK, take it with me and book a video call from my hotel the morning before the cruise.

Qured, DocHQ and others offer proctored tests for under £20 which are happily accepted by Royal just as they are for entering the USA.

Ah, this is good news. I wasn’t sure if they would be accepted - hence looking to get the ones Royal suggested.

2 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

Although I have not done it, a lot of You Tube Cruiser Bloggers recommend Lab Doctor on 17th St. in Fort Lauderdale as a great way to get tested. No appointments needed and out in under 30 minutes with your result

We won’t be in Fort Lauderdale, but thanks.

Just now, Lizzim said:

Ah, this is good news. I wasn’t sure if they would be accepted - hence looking to get the ones Royal suggested.

You are welcome. Good luck with your testing. My wife and I are sailing from Southampton in Oct. 2023.

Jim

9 minutes ago, jeh10641 said:

You are welcome. Good luck with your testing. My wife and I are sailing from Southampton in Oct. 2023.

Jim

Hopefully there will be no testing by then! 😀

• Like 1

Amen!

13 minutes ago, Lizzim said:

Jim

14 hours ago, Lizzim said:

We are in the same situation sailing in August from Port Canaveral, if you do use a UK proctored test would love to know how you get on. 👍

• Like 2

15 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

This is what we have done a number of times. Much less stressful than trying to find and get to a testing centre in a foreign country. Just be aware that the video test availability times are UK times so factor in the time difference. Even if you do decide on a local testing center you could bring a couple of test kits with you as back up. They are not that expensive and are quick and easy to order in the UK. We have used Testing For All but there are a number of providers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lizzim said:

We are cruising from Florida in June (assuming we pass our UK based COVID tests) and need to arrange our pre-cruise test (we are cruising at the end of our trip).

I have just tried purchasing the Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test via the RC website, for delivery to our hotel, but my credit card was declined (I assume because of the address not matching our card details).

Has anyone from the UK managed to complete a purchase? And if so, how did you get through the payment process?

I would check with your credit card company as to why it was declined.  It maybe that their fraud detection system but if you call them they can override it.  I had it when I was booking a tour in Amsterdam from the US.  Able to clear it up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, njkruzer said:

I would check with your credit card company as to why it was declined.  It maybe that their fraud detection system but if you call them they can override it.  I had it when I was booking a tour in Amsterdam from the US.  Able to clear it up.

It’s happened before when we can’t enter our proper address details (the website wanted a zip code which we can’t enter) so I’m pretty confident that’s the issue.

As it appears I can bring tests from the UK I’ll do that.

Thanks everyone 😁

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lizzim said:

It’s happened before when we can’t enter our proper address details (the website wanted a zip code which we can’t enter) so I’m pretty confident that’s the issue.

As it appears I can bring tests from the UK I’ll do that.

Thanks everyone 😁

Just went on to order some tests, where it asks for a flight date, would you put the cruise date instead?

4 hours ago, welshrich said:

Just went on to order some tests, where it asks for a flight date, would you put the cruise date instead?

I personally would, but haven’t ordered our yet.

On 5/24/2022 at 11:05 AM, AndySFC said:

We are in the same situation sailing in August from Port Canaveral, if you do use a UK proctored test would love to know how you get on. 👍

I used one in PC last week. doc HQ did it in my hotel room the day before. Cost was £19.50 which is a lot less than the $100 they want at the port. It was easy and had zero issues with the lady at check in at the port.

• Like 3

On 5/23/2022 at 8:02 PM, gumshoe958 said:

Hi, I just bought some dochq tests,  when i go on to book the tests it asks for an address, do i put the hotel where i will be staying in the US?

I’d have thought you put your home address. They couldn’t care less where you are when you actually do the video call.

I haven’t used DocHQ but with Qured the details that appeared on the certificate were name, date of birth and passport number so make sure they’re correct.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, welshrich said:

Hi, I just bought some dochq tests,  when i go on to book the tests it asks for an address, do i put the hotel where i will be staying in the US?

Put the UK address as that's where they will send the flow test too.

The address does not appear on the certificate anyway.

• Like 1