Recent experience using salon or manicure/pedicure (Iona or similar)?

Muckyduckway

Not recent (2018), I had a nightmare experience on Azura.  They removed shellac back to nail but despite being hand removal took my nail too thin.  This 24 hours before disembarking.  Nails became very sore and on return ended up in the doctors with serious infections in four fingers.  Took 6 months to get "normal" nail growth back.

Complaining to P&O led to the issue being handled in the US and spa facilities do not come under P&O's control.  After 9 months of photographs, doctor's records and an independent examination by a London based nail technician (the company requested it) they paid me compensation of £750  which I accepted because I couldn't be bothered to carry on.

I now never use P&O's onboard nail services but have used Cunard's just for normal manicure and buff.

Edited by Megabear2

3 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Not recent (2018), I had a nightmare experience on Azura.  They removed shellac back to nail but despite being hand removal took my nail too thin.  This 24 hours before disembarking.  Nails became very sore and on return ended up in the doctors with serious infections in four fingers.  Took 6 months to get "normal" nail growth back.

Complaining to P&O led to the issue being handled in the US and spa facilities do not come under P&O's control.  After 9 months of photographs, doctor's records and an independent examination by a London based nail technician (the company requested it) they paid me compensation of £750  which I accepted because I couldn't be bothered to carry on.

I now never use P&O's onboard nail services but have used Cunard's just for normal manicure and buff.

Wow, that's bad.  I was anticipating some negative experiences but nothing quite so extreme.  Sorry you had to go through that.

Sorry, not specific to Iona but...

I've had the fire and ice pedicure a few times on both Ventura and Britannia both before and after COVID. Have always been happy with the staff and treatments. Although I will say, on my recent cruise on Ventura in April they were limited on the polish colours they had available. 

• Like 1

I had a couple of manicures/ pedicures on my first two cruises and although the results were good I wasn’t happy with experience, the first was so late we missed most of the Captain’s speech on the welcome onboard/ formal night. Might not upset some people but it was our first cruise - and it was Captain Camby 😉

Another time the lady doing it was really grumpy and hardly spoke! I asked her a few questions but she just gave yes or no answers so I gave up!

Now I always get them done at home first. However on my first post Covid cruise on Britannia this April I booked a manicure the first morning as I just couldn’t fit it in at home plus I was trying to avoid going out. I must say though the lady was lovely and she  did an excellent job. She even managed to repair one of my nails that had broken AND she didn’t try and sell me anything although she did say to ask for her if I wanted a pedicure and she’d fit me in!

• Like 1

Thanks all.

I was considering it for embarkation day, a bit of relaxation which would also save me time ahead of the cruise and the prices seem acceptable.  A major bugbear for me is the hard sell, so any chance of that and it's a definite no from me.

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely get it done before.

I think the hard sell is getting worse and I think staff are younger.

- having nails done and they are trying to sell eye cream.

had massage and trying to sell another before I was finished the first.

That did lead to an complaint .- just needed to relax after walking miles around Rome 🙈