Would like information for Baltic cruise from Stockholm to Copenhagen w/Riga, Helsinki, Tallinn, Visby, Ronne, Aarhaus

9 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

Thank you.  We planned to visit the ships on the waterfront near the Vasa.

I had not read anything about this museum.  I imagine the Vrak is more my husband's interest. I checked Trip Advisor and they only had 4 reviews.  Have you visited this museum?  

I haven't visited it yet (it's a fairly new museum which opened late last year) but plan to do so this summer.

Edited by Desdichado62
  • Thanks 1

I strongly encourage all of you to watch the movie, "The Singing Revolution."  This is an inspirational movie showing how Estonian nationalism was preserved by the unifying power of patriotic songs.  These songs helped lead the Estonian people eventually to overcome the occupation by Hitler, by Stalin and by Stalin's successors.

The filmmakers acknowledge that while the movie focuses on Estonia, similar events were occurring simultaneously in Lithuania and Latvia.

The movie is available for rental in the United States and Canada on iTunes.  It is also available in the U.S. on Amazon Video.

The trailer, the full-length directors' commentary and an interview with the filmmakers may be found here.

I will seek out, both in Latvia and in Estonia, tour opportunities that commemorate this period in each country's history.

• Thanks 2

OK, I am going to ask the money question.  I know I will get some push back on this--but I can take it.  😉

I have read that Sweden and Denmark are almost a cashless society.  I will be bringing 2 chip credit cards with me. In the US they do not require a pin.  Do I need to contact the bank to get a numeric pin?  

I typically order some currency before we leave through our bank.  I know that everyone says use the local ATMs.  However, I would rather not do that. 

I always use CC for most things and currency for the small items or in very rural places. I just make sure I spend the last of the currency before I leave the country.  It has always worked for me.  I have 22 euros from a previous cruise left over. [not bad and I can use that this trip] 

One concern is we are visiting Visby Sweden during the Medieval festival.  Would the vendors accept credit cards, or would we need to have cash?

Are Helsinki, Riga and Tallinn cashless, too?  Or do I need to get some more euros? TIA 

I'm going to bring some euros to cover Riga, Estonia and Helsinki but I'm expecting almost everywhere will accept swipe cards.  For Sweden and Denmark I'll rely on my CC and pin as I don't want to purchase another 2 currencies. 

For most small purchases you'll be able to simply swipe and not need a pin.  However each country will have a limit at which point a pin will be needed but I don't know each countries limit on this cruise  (In UK it was recently raised to a fairly hefty £100 before a pin is required).  However, if the swipe card is being used in an irregular patttern to normal (and making lots of small purchases across several countries in a small time frame is probably going to be unusual compared to your norm) then the machine is going to sometimes ask for a pin as a security measure.

For the Visby festival, again I'm expecting most stall holders will have swipe card machines.

Upshot is you should get a pin just to be sure (and check it works before departure) but forgo a wallet full of currencies.

13 minutes ago, adam7392 said:

For the Visby festival, again I'm expecting most stall holders will have swipe card machines.

Upshot is you should get a pin just to be sure (and check it works before departure) but forgo a wallet full of currencies.

Yes, that is what i was thinking.  

Since I was asking about money, I thought I would post information I found about Riga. The date for this website was Jan 2022.  So, it is up to date. 

Discover Latvia | Latvia Travel 

Since January 1st, 2014, the official currency of Latvia is the Euro. The price levels in Latvia for many groups, including restaurant and hotel services, are lower than the average for European countries, though price levels may vary in the capital and regions of Latvia.

Currency exchange options

In Latvia, money can be exchanged at banks or exchange offices. . . .

Latvia has a solid network of accessible ATMs, but, when venturing outside the cities, taking cash out in advance is advised, before your trip. ATMs accept credit and debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Maestro and others).

Prices for goods and services

Prices for groceries, non-alcoholic beverages, alcoholic and tobacco goods are some of the lowest in Europe. Restaurant and hotel service prices are also lower than the average for European Union countries.

Approximate level of prices for goods and services:

• Three course meal in a restaurant 20 - 25 euros;
  • Lunch 3 - 5 euros;
  • Glass of wine 4-5 euros;
  • Glass of beer 3 euros;
  • Public transport ticket for one trip (single ticket) 1.15 euro;
  • Taxi ride form the airport to the city centre 10 - 15 euros.

Note:

• When purchasing drinks at bars, pay close attention to the price of drinks in terms of units indicated, and if the volume is correct for the price shown.
  • When using a taxi, agree on an approximate price before the trip, and always make sure the meter is switched on. If possible, use taxi mobile apps (for example, Bolt)
  • When using public transport, buy tickets before the trip at the bus station, train station, or other ticket offices, as buying a ticket on board can be more expensive.
  • In the capital Riga, especially in the Old Town, the price level for services can be higher than the prices for similar services outside of Riga.

Paying with bank cards

In Latvia, it is possible to pay using smart cards or chip cards that adhere to international standards. . . .

In most restaurants, shops, banks, gas stations and hotels it is possible to pay by credit card or debit card.

On public transport, buy a ticket from the driver using cash. Alternatively, to pay by card in Riga use the ticket machines located at public transport stops and throughout the city.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, adam7392 said:

I'm going to bring some euros to cover Riga, Estonia and Helsinki but I'm expecting almost everywhere will accept swipe cards.  For Sweden and Denmark I'll rely on my CC and pin as I don't want to purchase another 2 currencies. 

For most small purchases you'll be able to simply swipe and not need a pin.  However each country will have a limit at which point a pin will be needed but I don't know each countries limit on this cruise  (In UK it was recently raised to a fairly hefty £100 before a pin is required).  However, if the swipe card is being used in an irregular patttern to normal (and making lots of small purchases across several countries in a small time frame is probably going to be unusual compared to your norm) then the machine is going to sometimes ask for a pin as a security measure.

You will be fine as you are from UK and you already have a PIN based CC.

But Dargon is from Virginia and will not have PIN based CC unless it is from one of the govt associated credit union such as AndrewsFCu, PenFed, etc.

Things are far better about US credit cards that lack PIN now than it used to be 10-12 years ago.

You may still run into problems at automated ticket machine at train station (it used to be that you have to go to the manned office) or at gas station (may have to go inside to pay with US credit card) and some toll booths if you dont have the electronic gadget.

For most cruise pax, US credit card will work at most places they are usually interested in, unless it is off beat local excursion or cash tips  (service charge is usually included most places) You may need small local coins more than anything (public toilets)

In Scandinavia many tourist oriented businesses will take Euro (at unfavorable exchange rate)

Edited by hal2008
  • Like 1

1. I plan to pay as frequently as possible with my contactless credit card.  If you do not have a contactless credit card, a regular credit card loaded into Google Pay or Apple Pay will have the same features. No PIN should be necessary.

https://usa.visa.com/pay-with-visa/contactless-payments/contactless-payments.html (applicable to Master Card as well as to Visa) 

2. Ideally, your credit card should be one that does not charge foreign currency transaction conversion fees (Capital One is a good example).

3. During my last visit to Europe (prior to Covid), contactless credit cards (or Google Pay/Apple Pay) were accepted by merchants even for small transaction amounts.

4. I plan to use my contactless credit card for travel on Stockholm public transportation starting from my arrival at the airport and ending on my final day of sightseeing.  I will follow the procedures as set forth in this very informative 8:33 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtubbZAy8h8

or as set forth in these instructions.

https://sl.se/en/in-english/tap-your-contactless-card-to-buy-a-single-journey-ticket 

I will purchase a 24 hour ticket when appropriate. Using this method of payment I can take advantage of the senior citizen fare for which I qualify.

5. If I do need local currency, I will use my Charles Schwab DEBIT card which does not charge foreign currency transaction conversion fees and rebates to me any fee imposed by the owner of the ATM.  When I use a DEBIT card, a PIN is necessary.

6. If I use an ATM machine in a foreign country, I will, if possible, use an ATM connected to a bank.  

7. When using a credit card or debit card for payment, or when using a debit card at an ATM, reject dynamic currency conversion as explained in this detailed article.

https://www.mastercard.com/elearning/dcc/docs/DCC Guide 20.02.17 EN.pdf 

If the linked article is too long or too complex, here are two simple pieces of advice.

First, ALWAYS politely insist that the merchant bill your credit card in the local currency, NOT in the currency of your home country.

Second, reject the exchange rate which may be first offered by the ATM.  See the image on page 10 of the article to which I have just linked.   Look for the "small print" and select "no conversion" or "alternate conversion."  

I am happy to answer any questions.

I will throw my 2 cents in on the currency discussion.

We have been traveling in Europe for 6  weeks. We have been to been to England, Norway, Spain, Morocco and France.  We have been to 23+ cities (large and small) and our US chipped Visa cards have been accepted for 1 Euro bathroom charges and many times for small snack purchases to purchases much larger than 100Euro.  Never have we been asked for a pin.   Very few places including small vendor stalls, public transporttion and taxis do not accept credit cards.  

In fact in someplaces if you paid the bus fare by credit card it was cheaper than using cash. 

Handling cash has its own expenses for vendors that people don't think about.

I found that the Marriot Visa Bonvoy card seems to give a better exchange rate than our Capital One card. 

I have notifications turned on so that anytime I purchase something I receive an email instantly with the amount charged in $$.  So I can see instantly what we are actually charged even before getting up from the resteraunt table. 

Linda

We have used some cash for tips and such.  I found it interesting in several ports where the locals ran the shuttle bus to the city you did need to use cash.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stuart Suss said:

4. I plan to use my contactless credit card for travel on Stockholm public transportation starting from my arrival at the airport and ending on my final day of sightseeing.  I will follow the procedures as set forth in this very informative 8:33 video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtubbZAy8h8

I will purchase a 24 hour ticket when appropriate. Using this method of payment I can take advantage of the senior citizen fare for which I qualify.

Stuart--Thank you for this video.  It is very clear and gives good detail.  I still think I am going with the 7-day SL ticket.  @290 SEK it is a bargain for a senior citizen and we will be in Stockholm from Thursday to Monday. I might be able to buy a few single trip tickets on slow days and a 24 hr ticket on other days.  but, there would be little savings and 7-day pass is very convenient.  I just touch the card and go.  

2 hours ago, dccruisin said:

We have been traveling in Europe for 6  weeks. We have been to been to England, Norway, Spain, Morocco and France.  We have been to 23+ cities (large and small) and our US chipped Visa cards have been accepted for 1 Euro bathroom charges and many times for small snack purchases to purchases much larger than 100Euro.  Never have we been asked for a pin.   

Let me just say wow!!  You are having quite a trip.  😀

It is good to know that you can us your credit card everywhere.  I have asked my VISA card to mail me my pin as a back-up.  But, I am glad to hear that I am not likely to need. it.

3 hours ago, dccruisin said:

In fact in someplaces if you paid the bus fare by credit card it was cheaper than using cash. 

We just got back from Paris and cash was expressly not allowed on the buses due to Covid precautions.  I have no idea how wide spread that is, but I was unprepared for that.  We were short one ticket, and had to scramble for alternate plans.

7 hours ago, dccruisin said:

We have been traveling in Europe for 6  weeks. We have been to been to England, Norway, Spain, Morocco and France.  We have been to 23+ cities (large and small) and our US chipped Visa cards have been accepted for 1 Euro bathroom charges and many times for small snack purchases to purchases much larger than 100Euro.  Never have we been asked for a pin.   Very few places including small vendor stalls, public transporttion and taxis do not accept credit cards.  

Handling cash has its own expenses for vendors that people don't think about.

I found that the Marriot Visa Bonvoy card seems to give a better exchange rate than our Capital One card. 

I have notifications turned on so that anytime I purchase something I receive an email instantly with the amount charged in $$.  So I can see instantly what we are actually charged even before getting up from the resteraunt table. 

Linda

We have used some cash for tips and such.  I found it interesting in several ports where the locals ran the shuttle bus to the city you did need to use cash.  

I am not having the same luck in Switzerland with my Chase visa.  I get asked for signatures most places, and the pin I requested from the credit card company evidently only is used for cash advances.  I reached out to the credit card company and they said if use contactless vs chip it won’t ask for signatures but the only significant purchase (>$50) the machine would not accept my contactless payment and requested I use the chip and signature.  I am going to see if using Apple Pay makes any difference.

Even though my credit cards have PINs set, I have never been prompted for a PIN in Europe – the machine always defaults to signature.  [Even the Barclays Arrival card, which was one of the first in the US with the PIN feature]

Here is how I see it.

You lose money at the start of your journey whenever you exchange you home country's currency for the local currency in cash.  You lose money at the end of your journey whenever you exchange the local currency back to your home country's currency.

In an ideal world, you would never exchange any currency and you would pay for everything with your credit card. Your credit card issuer provides a better foreign exchange rate than a currency exchange store and at least as good an exchange rate as an ATM.  Your advantage increases if your credit card does not charge a foreign currency conversion fee (which ranges between 1% and 3%).  Your advantage additionally increases if your credit card provides a cash back rebate on purchases. 

My Capital One Quicksilver card does not charge a foreign currency conversion fee and provides a 1.5% rebate on purchases.  If you are using a credit card with a 3% foreign currency conversion fee, you are out of pocket $1030 for every $1000 in purchases. With my Quicksilver card, after the 1.5% rebate, I am out of pocket $985 for every $1000 in purchases.

As the Scandinavian countries, and the rest of Europe, become cash free, we are approaching that ideal world where you only need a credit card, not any local currency.  Using your credit card is great.  Who cares if you need to sign the receipt, that is how it would work back in the U.S.A.  Using a contactless credit card frequently bypasses the need for a PIN or a signature.  And using Google Pay or Apple Pay may be even better.

To the best of my knowledge,

1. Transactions above a certain amount (which amount varies from country to country) may still require a signature.  Solution: Sign the receipt.

2. In some locations, a request for a PIN may appear if you make five consecutive contactless credit card transactions. Solution #1: Try Google Pay or Apple Pay.  Solution #2:  Restart the transaction, this time using the chip or magnetic stripe on the credit card.  Sign the receipt.

3. If you are driving at night on the highways in France, some tollbooths or unattended gasoline stations, with older equipment, may require a credit card with a PIN.  As I understand it, this is becoming less common.  Solution #1.  Try Google Pay or Apple Pay.  Solution #2.  Use your home DEBIT card which has a PIN.

34 minutes ago, Stuart Suss said:

Here is how I see it.

You lose money at the start of your journey whenever you exchange you home country's currency for the local currency in cash.  You lose money at the end of your journey whenever you exchange the local currency back to your home country's currency.

In an ideal world, you would never exchange any currency and you would pay for everything with your credit card. Your credit card issuer provides a better foreign exchange rate than a currency exchange store and at least as good an exchange rate as an ATM.  Your advantage increases if your credit card does not charge a foreign currency conversion fee (which ranges between 1% and 3%).  Your advantage additionally increases if your credit card provides a cash back rebate on purchases. 

My Capital One Quicksilver card does not charge a foreign currency conversion fee and provides a 1.5% rebate on purchases.  If you are using a credit card with a 3% foreign currency conversion fee, you are out of pocket $1030 for every $1000 in purchases. With my Quicksilver card, after the 1.5% rebate, I am out of pocket $985 for every $1000 in purchases.

As the Scandinavian countries, and the rest of Europe, become cash free, we are approaching that ideal world where you only need a credit card, not any local currency.  Using your credit card is great.  Who cares if you need to sign the receipt, that is how it would work back in the U.S.A.  Using a contactless credit card frequently bypasses the need for a PIN or a signature.  And using Google Pay or Apple Pay may be even better.

To the best of my knowledge,

1. Transactions above a certain amount (which amount varies from country to country) may still require a signature.  Solution: Sign the receipt.

2. In some locations, a request for a PIN may appear if you make five consecutive contactless credit card transactions. Solution #1: Try Google Pay or Apple Pay.  Solution #2:  Restart the transaction, this time using the chip or magnetic stripe on the credit card.  Sign the receipt.

3. If you are driving at night on the highways in France, some tollbooths or unattended gasoline stations, with older equipment, may require a credit card with a PIN.  As I understand it, this is becoming less common.  Solution #1.  Try Google Pay or Apple Pay.  Solution #2.  Use your home DEBIT card which has a PIN.

I agree credit cards are the preferred method especially since I am on trip with at least 6 different currencies, so want to have minimal hard cash.  The reason signature is a problem for me:

-  I cant buy tickets from the machine and need to wait in long ticket lines.   

-  If I board a bus and try to pay contactless and it doesn't work ,I can be fined for not having paid a valid fare.    That means some places I may need to walk a long way or pay a high taxi fare if I cant get it figured out reliably.

-  I feel sorry for the clerks at some of the very busy grocery stores that my transactions take the extra steps. 

I am trying Apple pay now to see if that is more reliable.  My debit card is not contactless so that wont work for some of the future cities bus concerns, but that might save the long lines at some train stations.

There is another thread on this forum that discusses the ferry to Frihammen. That is where our ship embarks.  Since we stay overnight before the ship leaves Stockholm we need to figure out transportation to whatever we wish to tour the next day, also.   

We are using the Nybroplan ferry to get to the ship on Sunday for check-in and to get to and from the city once we get on the ship. 

Desdichado62 provided these great links:

https://sl.se/globalassets/linje-80.pdf 

Here are the scheduled times. https://mitt.sl.se/ficktid/sommar/S80.pdf

We have a 12-12:30 check-in time.  So we are taking the Nybroplan ferry at 11:05 that arrives a 11:57.  That will be perfect timing.  The ferry stop is just beside the passenger cruise terminal.  So, it will be a short walk.  Buses to/from the city are farther away across from the dock.

• Thanks 1

Dragon, thank you for this helpful information.  However, as I read the timetable, your ferry departs at 11:15, not at 11:05.  Have I misread the timetable?

An alternative from Nybroplan is the #76 bus which only takes about 15 minutes to Frihamnens färjeterminal (one stop beyond the stop called Frihmanens).  There is, however, a 7-10 minute walk from the bus stop to the cruise terminal.

The bus arrives quicker, and runs more often than the boat

https://mitt.sl.se/ficktid/sommar/S76.pdf (see page 8 for Sunday schedule)

but is, no doubt, less scenic.

3 hours ago, Stuart Suss said:

The bus arrives quicker, and runs more often than the boat

https://mitt.sl.se/ficktid/sommar/S76.pdf (see page 8 for Sunday schedule)

but is, no doubt, less scenic.

I had read on another Cruise Critic thread that # 76 does not run on Sunday.  I can not read Swedish, either.  However, I do know Sondag is Sunday. So, it appears it is available.

We will need to check the schedule closer to our cruise.  That bus looks like it is only running 3 days this week.

76 Route: Schedules, Stops & Maps - Frihamnen (Updated) (moovitapp.com)

Thanks so much for the information.

We may take the bus if the weather is bad.  We are thinking of the ferry ride as an excursion. 

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

3 hours ago, DragonOfTheSeas said:

I had read on another Cruise Critic thread that # 76 does not run on Sunday.  I can not read Swedish, either.  However, I do know Sondag is Sunday. So, it appears it is available.

We will need to check the schedule closer to our cruise.  That bus looks like it is only running 3 days this week.

76 Route: Schedules, Stops & Maps - Frihamnen (Updated) (moovitapp.com)

Thanks so much for the information.

We may take the bus if the weather is bad.  We are thinking of the ferry ride as an excursion. 

Bus 76 runs every day, but only every 20 minutes on Sundays. https://mitt.sl.se/ficktid/sommar/S76.pdf

https://mitt.sl.se/reseplanering/tidtabeller

For those who are visiting Helsinki in the nearest couple of days Swedish sailing ship Götheborg will be in port and you can visit. However you need to buy tickets in advance.

https://www.gotheborg.se/visit-us/helsinki/

It will also visit

• Stockholm 7-13 July
  • Copenhagen 20 – 24 July
  • Oslo 28 – 31 July,

• London 8 – 12 August

• Bremerhaven 17 – 21 August

• Lisbon 5 – 8 September

https://www.gotheborg.se/visit-us/

Edited by Desdichado62

1 hour ago, Desdichado62 said:

For those who are visiting Helsinki in the nearest couple of days Swedish sailing ship Götheborg will be in port and you can visit. However you need to buy tickets in advance.

https://www.gotheborg.se/visit-us/helsinki/

It will also visit

• Stockholm 7-13 July
  • Copenhagen 20 – 24 July
  • Oslo 28 – 31 July,

• London 8 – 12 August

• Bremerhaven 17 – 21 August

• Lisbon 5 – 8 September

https://www.gotheborg.se/visit-us/

Thank you for the heads up.  That would be so much fun.  I hope some cruisers can take advantage of this.

• Like 1

After searching on the internet for some time trying to find information on the Medieval festival in Visby, I got a reply from the Gotland tourism bureau today. It appears there are no specifics available, yet.  I asked if there was a schedule and what you need to purchase tickets to attend?

Here is their reply:

You will need to purchase tickets for the different events of the Medieval Week as well as to attend the Medieval Week Market place located north of the Botanical Gardens. Further information such  as the program of the different events and ticket purchase will be available later.

You won’t need to buy a ticket to walk around in Visby (enter the city walls).

The volunteer with the Gotland Visitor Bureau sent me an updated email today regarding the Medieval Festival. Our ship leaves at 6pm, so we may not have time to watch the Joust.  Here is the text:

Hi Agnes, 

Our program is still in the making, thus I'm not fully sure what shows might suit you yet. We're updating the program almost on the daily, but currently our English program isn't online. I'm not sure why, but I'll try to get back to you with a link if and when it comes online! I recommend checking in on https://medeltidsveckan.se/en/welcome/ occasionally as well, to see if the english program's been updated! 
The tidbits I have from the program currently are:

The market will be open all day, and there you'll find most anything. Food, wood and metalwork, jewelry, clothes, sweets and much more. To enter you do indeed need the daily pass, which you can buy on location. If you like google maps  Paviljongsplan (or coordinates 57.644911, 18.294683) is the place to be. 

visby.thumb.png.adac091cc7d0110a00ddd7a926b17595.png

Would you get hungry and want an experience that's less market and more restaurant I'd strongly recommend one of the 3 restaurants that serve medieval/medieval inspired food in proper medieval settings: Klosterlängan, Kapitelhusgården or Bistra haren. Their opening hours should also show up on our website, however one can also contact them directly. 

From around 2pm there'll be a parade, however I don't have the route so unfortunately can't give you any tips on best possible spot to see it.

In our preliminary program, there's a show with a group of fantastic jouster at 4 pm. They'll give a show that I think will be wonderful no matter language. I think the ticket will start selling on Wednesday evening, and you'll find them at https://www.nortic.se/dagny/organizer/2194 . The event you'll be looking for is "Gyckel, Gyckel, Gyckel" and the group is called TRiX. 

Please notice you need the daily pass for both market and shows, so make sure to get your pass before going to any shows. 

I hope this gives a little bit more clarity to your Visby visit! 

Best wishes, and please feel free to contact us again if you have any more questions!