Juneau tram

petuniaflower

There is food and a gift shop and a small theatre.

A small exhibit of raptors - a mock eagles nest and a bald eagle under rehabilitate care.

Lots of hiking trails along the crest overlooking Juneau - weather precautions - trails

can be wet muddy slippery and windy enough to blow hats caps off.

Viewing is impressive on the ride up and down - about a third of the way up look for

eagles and nests in the tree line - also about in that area look down on an old gold mine.

From the top looking down on the cruise ships - a ship 950 meters in length looks to

be postage stamp size - that is how far the ascent is above sea level.

No you can not see Mendenhall Glacier but you can approximate its hidden location.

The Juneau International Airport is visible.

Much of the Juneau city waterfront is visible - the Gastineau channel.

Google Map for reference - the Mount Roberts Tram is centered in the image -

zooom in or out for more less detail  - - -

Google Maps

First time tram users a definite must (of course time permitting) - future visits ify with

the weather and other shore port excursions - some offer a combo Mendenhall glacier

and Mt. Roberts tram ride - a good value for first time users. Since the Tram ticket

is an all day event - go early on first port arrival to see where you are going and then

later to see where you have or could have been.

For casual walkers a mile hike up Franklin St to see the Alaska State Capitol building

and a few blocks more to the Governors house (to try and see Russia from its doorstep) LOL !

There is plenty to see and do - eat - hike - venture out - whale watching - small craft

visits to the Tracy Arm Sawyer glaciers - there are two - the south primarily visited

and for a bonus the much smaller north one.

The decision is how much you can fit into your port scheduled time - choose wisely and

take loads of pictures videos cell selfie moments !

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, petuniaflower said:

How much time should I allot up at the top if we are also doing a whale watch cruise that day..would 1-1.5 hrs be reasonable for the time to wait in line, go up/explore and back down?

We were there for about an hour, and that included gift shopping and waiting for weather to clear for me to take pictures. We got lucky though that there was no line when we arrived.

Edited by strickerj

One thing I experienced when I was in Juneau recently is that lineups for the Tram can occur very quickly - I was going to buy a ticket but nature called and after I took care of that I returned only to find that several bus loads of tourists had descended on the terminal - they were all part of a package for the glacier and tram - it would have been at least an hour to get to go up. So I gave up.

Wonder if it might be better earlier on the day as the tours most likely will do Mendenhall first.

Is it better to buy the ticket through the RCL cruise planner, when we get on the ship or at the tram? Someone posted they were glad they pre purchased their ticket because when they got there, there was a long line.  If it matters we will be going up rain, fog or shine.  Missed it last time not going to miss it this time.

14 minutes ago, Lorey2007 said:

Is it better to buy the ticket through the RCL cruise planner, when we get on the ship or at the tram? Someone posted they were glad they pre purchased their ticket because when they got there, there was a long line.  If it matters we will be going up rain, fog or shine.  Missed it last time not going to miss it this time.

Only advantage to having tickets in advance is if they are less expensive -

otherwise the ticket lines move rapidly -

The heavy influx of guests riding the tram occur when multiple ships dock and the guests

flood the cruise terminal and Tram area -

The Trams (2) are operated in tandem - as one goes up the other descends a balancing act.

There is a sort of schedule to start with but when a tram car is full on either end the ride starts.

Consider a combo shore excursion with i.e. Mendenhall glacier visit and the tram for perhaps

a better bargain price - offers and shore excursions vary - - - - -