Medicine Question

I am currently on a weekly medicine for my RA and the injection medicine needs to be refrigerated. It is pen style and I have a travel bag for it that comes with a freezer pack.  When I fly I have no issues I just let them know that I have it and that it has to remain cold and I bring it in my carry on, I would assume the ship is the same but figured I would check.  If my memory serves me right, the rooms have a mini fridge that I can put the medicine in, or does that need to be requested.   Also is there a sharps container somewhere on board where I can dispose of the injection pen? 

We will be on Oasis of the seas in July and my husband will have his C-Pap machine as well.  Form what I have read the plugs are limited especially when you factor in charging phones, tablets and plugging in the C-pap.  Can we bring our own extension cord/extra plugs or can we only request it from the cabin steward, can we still request the distilled water?

They will provide you with a sharps container.  You can request the distilled water and extension cord from your room steward once on board.  Just notify special needs department of all of your needs before you sail.  They have a form you can fill out.  The medicine probably won't stay cool enough in their mini-fridge, but you can get ice from the room steward and keep it cool that way.  

Happy sailing! 

Hi @megsterl, here is my recent experience on Navigator of the seas this past February. The mini fridge in the cabin had a sticker that noted this is a ‘cooler’ not a refrigerator and if you require items to be refrigerated, contact your room steward.

on a later sailing I was in a balcony cabin,  and that ‘cooler’ was definitely set to a lower temperature , so I do not know if the stewards can adjust or it was a qwerk? 

30 minutes ago, arlodog said:

They will provide you with a sharps container.  You can request the distilled water and extension cord from your room steward once on board.  Just notify special needs department of all of your needs before you sail.  They have a form you can fill out.  The medicine probably won't stay cool enough in their mini-fridge, but you can get ice from the room steward and keep it cool that way.  

Happy sailing! 

Thank you for the quick response.  I will have to do that with the special needs department.  The medicine always stayed well in the mini fridge at Disney, but I kept it in its insulated pouch as well while in the fridge

• Like 1

I've not had to deal with refrigerated medication, but on every cruise ship I've been on, the "cooler" has actually kept things very cool, probably about as cool as my home refrigerator.  I think they put that "just a cooler" label on it in order to absolve themselves of responsibility it failed and someone's medication or baby food were to spoil.

1 hour ago, rudeney said:

I've not had to deal with refrigerated medication, but on every cruise ship I've been on, the "cooler" has actually kept things very cool, probably about as cool as my home refrigerator.  I think they put that "just a cooler" label on it in order to absolve themselves of responsibility it failed and someone's medication or baby food were to spoil.

I think your experience is unique.  Most [including me] find that it only keeps liquids cool not cold.  I would not trust milk that was in there 24 hours.  I think rccl has small table top fridges for medical needs. [I could be wrong].

2 hours ago, megsterl said:

I am currently on a weekly medicine for my RA and the injection medicine needs to be refrigerated. It is pen style and I have a travel bag for it that comes with a freezer pack.  When I fly I have no issues I just let them know that I have it and that it has to remain cold and I bring it in my carry on, I would assume the ship is the same but figured I would check.  If my memory serves me right, the rooms have a mini fridge that I can put the medicine in, or does that need to be requested.   Also is there a sharps container somewhere on board where I can dispose of the injection pen? 

We will be on Oasis of the seas in July and my husband will have his C-Pap machine as well.  Form what I have read the plugs are limited especially when you factor in charging phones, tablets and plugging in the C-pap.  Can we bring our own extension cord/extra plugs or can we only request it from the cabin steward, can we still request the distilled water?

On Oasis, there is an outlet by the bed.  It is hidden.  You will have to work hard to find it.  It is where the phone is plugged in.  (for the Cpap machine)

Write to special_needs@rccl.com to request a MEDICAL refrigerator for your cabin, and to request a sharps container.