Are things changing on Viking?

milling73

Have heard few hints from our booking Rep  that Viking is relaxing daily testing.  

Most European counties have dropped  all COVID restrictions or even asking to see immunization records. Viking’s testing policy while a safety plus to some, does discourage or delay many from booking for fear of being put off boat.  From the number of discounts plus free air promotions currently being offered, it appears Viking is trying to woo back customers. And as the only cruise line doing testing,  perhaps they realize they have to stop. (Like the theme parks, when Universal Orlando dropped masks, Disney had to follow, or lose guests.)

Can anyone currently sailing Grand European or other rivers confirm what the testing/masks actually are on board?

Not as of a week ago. I was on a Viking Danube cruise: test before air travel, test upon boarding, tests for the 1st 3 days, masking on board (except while eating/drinking), masks on the bus and tours. However, most passengers did not ware masks on the walking tours.

Aardfark..thanks for reply. 

So my question is…. would you take another with those same requirements/ restrictions???….or would you wait for them to be lifted?

Thanks again

3 hours ago, milling73 said:

Can anyone currently sailing Grand European or other rivers confirm what the testing/masks actually are on board?

There's no  point in seeing what the current policy is.

Viking announced some time ago that the on-board Covid restrictions were being relaxed mid-June - I cannot remember the exact date but I'd suggest that by the time you take your trip (when is it, your sig just says 2022?) the current system will have changed. 

To what degree it's changed I don't know but a frequent check of Viking's website from mid-month should tell.

Edited by pontac

There are not many daily posts of cruising procedures on  this river forum — mostly just questions or general discussions. 

While policies will / are changing — Its helpful to hear from someone traveling now, or just off. That’s the most accurate information any of us have to go by, and why we come to this site.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Other Tom said:

Viking has announced no more daily testing on ocean cruises.  I haven't heard specifically about river cruises, but I assume the same would apply.

Have heard on another board that passengers on river cruises got letters delivered that there will be no more testing, but nothing to confirm this yet.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, milling73 said:

While policies will / are changing — Its helpful to hear from someone traveling now, or just off. That’s the most accurate information any of us have to go by, and why we come to this site.

The current Viking policy, as of this week, is the same that was in force when I took my Rhine  Getaway cruise in the last week of April. There were specific questions about the Covid policy that I answered in my thread 'Just Back From...' on the forum and I also covered at the end of my review at Viking Tialfi Cruise Ship: Review, Photos & Departure Ports on Cruise Critic

But, as I said, Viking's policy is changing in the next few days.

Also I read in my newspaper today that the USA is dropping the requirement to have a negative Covid test result before flying to the USA from Sunday.