Late night transfer to Southampton from Heathrow

Arriving Heathrow at 9pm on a direct flight from Canada. We can't use a Princess transfer to Southampton because we're not booking Princess Air, nor sailing the next day.

So that we could have one full day in Southampton before sailing, we'd prefer going directly to Southampton from the airport, even though it could be midnight when we'd arrive at our hotel.  Due to the 9pm flight arrival, the best option may be a car with driver. Smiths Airport Transfers is no more, late for a bus and probably no train. Any suggestions, potential cost?

Blackberry or www.westquaycars.com

But be aware that there’ll be no sensible eateries in Southampton at that time of night. Mebbe at the airport, or a quick stop at Fleet motorway services, or find a kebab takeaway or burger van in central Southampton

JB🙂

Reconsidered our plan and decided to stay at the Premier Inn Bath Rd (closest to terminal 3 - Air Canada) when our flight arrives at 9pm and reserve a car service to take us to Southampton the next morning.

Would prefer a taxi to go the couple of miles to Premier Inn. I entered the journey on the airport taxi fare calculator and the quote came up at 43GBP? Is that for real??!!!  If so, we might rather go directly to Southampton in spite of the late hour.

Otherwise, it appears we'd need to use a shuttle bus (Terminal 3 to hotel) for only 4GBP?

We're just arriving and want to avoid crowded buses.

Regarding taxi fare for the short hop, did I miss something?

14 minutes ago, Adventures ahead said:

Can anyone tell me about a 'regular' taxi from Terminal 3 to Premier Inn Bath Rd?

I thought that someone who knows the current position would have chimed in by now, and I don't know what "airport taxi fare calculator" you were using and whether it has any official authority.

AIUI, a proper taxi (from the official cab rank outside the terminal) is required to take you on this journey as it falls within the TfL taxi area and the journey is within the maximum distance. The taxi is required to charge you according to the meter (unless you agree a different fare with the driver first). The TfL fares page - https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares - suggests that this might come out at something like £20 including the Heathrow pick-up charge. These days, most cabbies seem to regard the meter fare as tip-inclusive, as the current tariffs have been set on the basis of card payment in a contactless society (in which we are all used to making a single tap to pay).

Given the length of your journey, AIUI the cabbie ought to be able to make it back to the airport in time to go straight back to the terminal to pick up another job without having to go to the feeder park first. This means that they haven't wasted the 2-3 hours that they may have spent in the feeder park waiting for the job that you represent. Traditionally, grumbles about short trips from the airport were regarded by many of us as being primarily an attempt to emotionally blackmail us into tipping more generously.

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

I thought that someone who knows the current position would have chimed in by now, and I don't know what "airport taxi fare calculator" you were using and whether it has any official authority.

AIUI, a proper taxi (from the official cab rank outside the terminal) is required to take you on this journey as it falls within the TfL taxi area and the journey is within the maximum distance. The taxi is required to charge you according to the meter (unless you agree a different fare with the driver first). The TfL fares page - https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/taxis-and-minicabs/taxi-fares - suggests that this might come out at something like £20 including the Heathrow pick-up charge. These days, most cabbies seem to regard the meter fare as tip-inclusive, as the current tariffs have been set on the basis of card payment in a contactless society (in which we are all used to making a single tap to pay).

Given the length of your journey, AIUI the cabbie ought to be able to make it back to the airport in time to go straight back to the terminal to pick up another job without having to go to the feeder park first. This means that they haven't wasted the 2-3 hours that they may have spent in the feeder park waiting for the job that you represent. Traditionally, grumbles about short trips from the airport were regarded by many of us as being primarily an attempt to emotionally blackmail us into tipping more generously.

Thanks very much. Great information.