9:30 Flight from FLL on disembarkation day

nbsjcruiser

4 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

But it doesn’t have to be stressful….in October I am disembarking the Regal in Piraeus and have a 9:45 flight to one of the islands for a week. Why did I book such an early flight? Because it’s Saturday and that’s the only flight available that day. Sure I could spend the night and fly the next day, but I would rather do that only if I miss the flight I’m already booked for. Not everyone is in a rush to end their vacation. 

October isn't the summer season at the airports.

4 minutes ago, franktown said:

October isn't the summer season at the airports.

Maybe you’ve never flown out of Athens but it is chaos 12 months out of the year. FLL is not only less busy but a lot more organized. 

However, none of this was my point. It’s about being mentally prepared with a backup plan. That is they key to minimizing stress, the stress of which the post I was responding to was talking about. Obviously if you have to return to work the next day, it’s harder to have a plan, but that is when you should choose the later flight. 

2 hours ago, vjmatty said:

But it doesn’t have to be stressful

I guarantee that from 6:30-8:30 you will be checking your watch and playing everything out in your mind over and over again hoping that everything comes together allowing you to get from the port to ATH in time to make your flight. I hope it all works out, but you’ll never convince me that your morning will be stress free.  I’ve flown in and out of ATH a dozen times. As you note, it is chaos. The opposite of Swiss precision! 

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

I guarantee that from 6:30-8:30 you will be checking your watch and playing everything out in your mind over and over again hoping that everything comes together allowing you to get from the port to ATH in time to make your flight. I hope it all works out, but you’ll never convince me that your morning will be stress free.  I’ve flown in and out of ATH a dozen times. As you note, it is chaos. The opposite of Swiss precision! 

You’re obviously don’t know many Greeks….I already know what hotel I will stay at in Marina Zeas if we dock too late or don’t disembark in time for the flight. Flights to the islands are very cheap so flying the next day is not a big deal. It’s why I like booking land vacations between 2 cruises, and ending with a transatlantic to avoid flying home.