San Fruttuoso from Portofino

frantic36

There are so many well travelled people on this board I thought I might ask this random question. In my upcoming cruise we are due to visit Portofino. I have visited before but have never visited the Abbey at San Fruttuoso, an Italian friend tells me it is lovely. I know it can only be done by ferry or hiking. Has anyone done either of these and your opinions on whether I should pre-book the ferry? I only mention the hike as if for some reason next month there is a problem with a return ferry due to rough seas we can hike back 😊.

If you have visited could you recommend a restaurant that would be appreciated, thanks. We are looking at Da Giorgio which is near the ferry stop. Recent google reviews sound positive.

Yes, the ferry goes there. Just get on at Portofino and the next stop is San F. No need to prebook. Didn’t do the hike. Giorgio  restaurant overlooks the port and it looks nice. However, we went on to the next town. 

The next port on the ferry is Camogli which is a very interesting town.  If you work the schedule right, you can see both.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marazul said:

The next port on the ferry is Camogli which is a very interesting town.  If you work the schedule right, you can see both.

An Italian friend who lives here suggested a restaurant in Camogli. When I started researching how to get there I rediscovered the Abbey at San F. and remembered we had never got there. My friend also told me the Abbey would be good to visit.

Thanks for mentioning it though as Camogli will be on the list for next time.

It´s been quite a while... but back in 2016 we did the hike and took the ferry back to Portofino. It was an organized ship tour so we did have a ferry on our own. The hike was really nice and worth doing but you do need good hiking shoes and there are parts which are steep and with narrow paths. It was a 2.5 hour hike. Just for some impressions you can check my review here.

steamboats

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, steamboats said:

It´s been quite a while... but back in 2016 we did the hike and took the ferry back to Portofino. It was an organized ship tour so we did have a ferry on our own. The hike was really nice and worth doing but you do need good hiking shoes and there are parts which are steep and with narrow paths. It was a 2.5 hour hike. Just for some impressions you can check my review here.

steamboats

Thank you steamboats. My husband and I have enjoyed looking at your wonderful pictures both of the trail and the Abbey. The hike is something we feel we could do if needed after looking at the photos. 

• Like 1