electrical plugs

ImperialLady

We are sailing on the Discovery and my husband was wondering about electric plugs  particularly in the bathroom. How many? European? Do we need to get converters? We will bring a power strip and an extension cord. What if anything else?  thanks 

36 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

We are sailing on the Discovery and my husband was wondering about electric plugs  particularly in the bathroom. How many? European? Do we need to get converters? We will bring a power strip and an extension cord. What if anything else?  thanks 

In the bathroom, typically there is only a "shaver only" low wattage outlet (40 watts or less).  Where are you from?  North America or Europe?  That will determine if you need "converters" (that change the voltage), or just "adapters" (that change the plug configuration.  Make sure the power strip is non-surge protected, as surge protectors are a hazard on ships, and not allowed.  I don't know about the Discovery, but most ships have both 110v US and 220v European (Schuko) outlets in the cabin.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

In the bathroom, typically there is only a "shaver only" low wattage outlet (40 watts or less).  Where are you from?  North America or Europe?  That will determine if you need "converters" (that change the voltage), or just "adapters" (that change the plug configuration.  Make sure the power strip is non-surge protected, as surge protectors are a hazard on ships, and not allowed.  I don't know about the Discovery, but most ships have both 110v US and 220v European (Schuko) outlets in the cabin.

Again, thank you. You are a wealth of information. We are from Missouri. Thanks for the info on the power strip. Sooooo do yourecommend just adapters? or both adapters and converters?

8 minutes ago, ImperialLady said:

Again, thank you. You are a wealth of information. We are from Missouri. Thanks for the info on the power strip. Sooooo do yourecommend just adapters? or both adapters and converters?

Depends on what you are planning on using.  Most electronics are "dual voltage", meaning they take anything between 100v and 240v (check the fine print on the charger), so you just need plug adapters to use both US and European outlets.  For other, high wattage appliances (hair dryers, curlers), even some of these are dual voltage, but check carefully, and if you need a couple of these at one time (say a dryer and a CPAP), you may want to get a voltage converter, but most folks don't find the need for these.  For adapters, google "Type F Schuko" plugs.

We never had any difficulty on board any Princess ship, including Royal class, with U.S. electrical. US electrical items fit the plugs and the voltage. There are not enough outlets for lots of equipment. Yes, a power strip that IS NOT surge protected is a good idea.

Bathroom plug handles things like shaver and electric toothbrush. 

12 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Depends on what you are planning on using.  Most electronics are "dual voltage", meaning they take anything between 100v and 240v (check the fine print on the charger), so you just need plug adapters to use both US and European outlets.  For other, high wattage appliances (hair dryers, curlers), even some of these are dual voltage, but check carefully, and if you need a couple of these at one time (say a dryer and a CPAP), you may want to get a voltage converter, but most folks don't find the need for these.  For adapters, google "Type F Schuko" plugs.

Again, I thank you and so does my husband!

8 minutes ago, skynight said:

We never had any difficulty on board any Princess ship, including Royal class, with U.S. electrical. US electrical items fit the plugs and the voltage. There are not enough outlets for lots of equipment. Yes, a power strip that IS NOT surge protected is a good idea.

thank you, that is good news. 👍

I will add that I've heard reports that ceramic type hair straighteners (flat irons) and some Dyson hair care items won't work onboard ships.  I suspect this is due to the electronics looking for the neutral and ground to be at the same voltage, as they are on land, but not on a ship.  I cannot confirm this, as with my rapidly vanishing hair, I don't need these high priced appliances.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, skynight said:

I agree. It will not handle a WaterPik type appliance though. We have a travel size one and even that small one is too much for the bathroom socket. For this we have a long extension cord that we bring out only when using the WaterPik.

Also, IIRC, the socket in the bathroom will not handle polarized plugs. These are the plugs where one blade is slightly wider than the other.

5 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

I will add that I've heard reports that ceramic type hair straighteners (flat irons) and some Dyson hair care items won't work onboard ships.  I suspect this is due to the electronics looking for the neutral and ground to be at the same voltage, as they are on land, but not on a ship.  I cannot confirm this, as with my rapidly vanishing hair, I don't need these high priced appliances.

😂 I have natural curly hair and my DH has that vanishing hair as well. But I will alert my DIL!  Thanks again!!