Frightened of water!

babs135

Uniworld's Venice cruise might be a good one for you to start with.  The ship cruises along the lagoon for the most part so you spend most of the time docked.  They're also the only river cruise line that does this itinerary so there is no tying up to other ships as sometimes happens on other more popular rivers.  A big bonus-the ability to easily get on/off the ship & wander Venice almost as you please.  An even bigger bonus-the scenery is gorgeous!!!!

• Like 2

@babs135Sorry I'm late to this discussion, but you might also consider a cabin without a full-length sliding door to a full balcony but rather a full width window to minimize the view of the water. I've found in the past unless I'm actually looking out a window, I don't even know the ship is moving. 

I realize this may not be your particular phobia, but I always remember the captain on our first river cruise giving advice at the safety briefing. He told us that if the ship started sinking, we should gather in the lounge. He said the ship would touch bottom long before the water reached the floor in the lounge and they'd be serving drinking regardless. 

I sincerely hope you can work through this issue because I believe you'll enjoy river cruising once you can work through this very real issue. Good luck!!
Paul

Thanks to everyone for the helpful suggestions.  I will certainly not rule out a river cruise but in the immediate moment DH and myself are off tomorrow on a 7 nights cruise (ocean of course) to the Norwegian fjords.

I realise that I have been making a rational argument, while you acknowledge an irrational fear.

However much you accept our advice and arguments in your rational mind, you'll still have those fears in your heart. If you book a river cruise those fears will multiply and take over as the date approaches. If you find the courage to board you might realise your fears have not been borne out by the experience and you might (and probably will) really enjoy the experience.

But it will be an expensive gamble.

As you know and enjoy ocean cruising, and there are many more routes available than with river cruising, just stick with ocean cruising.

Holidays are supposed to be enjoyable. Enjoy!

• Like 1