How many formal nights?

kmw350

Our current 21 night cruise has three, according to info we got when enquiring about speciality restaurants.

Information is not something Ambassador are good at.  We have just got a shuttle bus into Reykjavik, arranged by the port having been told on the ship it would run half hourly, but found out on the bus, by chance that it is only running once an hour.  The port member if staff did not understand why we were given the wrong info. but no surprise to us. 

No information on dining times for the cruise in cabin and neither reception, not restaurant staff knew either, though restaurant did say it was open seating first night.  It turned out to be open seating every night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tring said:

Our current 21 night cruise has three, according to info we got when enquiring about speciality restaurants.

Information is not something Ambassador are good at.  We have just got a shuttle bus into Reykjavik, arranged by the port having been told on the ship it would run half hourly, but found out on the bus, by chance that it is only running once an hour.  The port member if staff did not understand why we were given the wrong info. but no surprise to us. 

No information on dining times for the cruise in cabin and neither reception, not restaurant staff knew either, though restaurant did say it was open seating first night.  It turned out to be open seating every night.

Has anyone let the managers know about these issues Tring ? and any response ?

thanks

43 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Has anyone let the managers know about these issues Tring ? and any response ?

thanks

We have not yet returned to the ship.  As I said communication very bad, but our cabin steward very good- he asked them to adjust our temperature down a bit first sea day, but went up again and also cold draught, so difficult to know which would be best.  Hence wary of asking for further adjustment.  The company have told people previously that they have parts on order from China to sort A/C that got delayed in Chinese lockdown - see my previous comments.  I think they should have though twice about keeping the ship going, but we had no reason to cancel the cruise.  I think some cabins are ok, so difficult one, though most people we have spoken to about it are having some sort of issues.

Regards covid, there are no attempts to insist on masks, or anything else - that is company decision, it seems. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The driver of the Reykjavik bus told me that there were only running the bus hourly because they were short staffed that day.  So it was bad luck rather than design.  Though you are right to complain that the information didn't find its was back to passengers.

This wasn't the only place.  At ilulissat we were told that there was a shuttle to the town square, which was only about 200 yards away from the dock.  What we weren't told was that there was a second shuttle bus that took you directly to the Isfjordscenter, which is where I wanted to go.  So I ended up walking a mile a half unnecessarily

• 9 months later...
On 6/25/2022 at 12:11 PM, indiana123 said:

Yes, it was two in May.   Mixture of DJs and suits for the men, and quite a bit of sparkle for the girls.  

And approximately how many smart days per week, as opposed to casual days?

I like to plan things out to reduce over- or under-packing.  Thanks!

21 hours ago, Milaandra said:

And approximately how many smart days per week, as opposed to casual days?

I like to plan things out to reduce over- or under-packing.  Thanks!

One or two smart days per week, however compliance with the 'smart' dress code seemed to be a lot less. I only wore a jacket once to a smart night and had no issues.

10 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

One or two smart days per week, however compliance with the 'smart' dress code seemed to be a lot less. I only wore a jacket once to a smart night and had no issues.

Thanks for the information!  And darn!  I think I'm going to be a bit overdressed... 

10 hours ago, Milaandra said:

Thanks for the information!  And darn!  I think I'm going to be a bit overdressed... 

I doubt it - the 'dress-downers' stuck out more than the 'dress-uppers', not that I took much notice really. I was too busy getting value from my drinks package!😁

• Like 1

On formal night, I bumped into my nextdoor neighbour coming out of his cabin in the full dinner jacket regalia.

I was in my jeans on the way to Borough Market 😀.  Can be hacked with this dressing up lark just for some food.

On our recent 11-night we had 2 formal nights. My husband took his kilt to wear on the first and a dark lounge suit for the second. He had so many comments/compliments about the kilt he ended up wearing it for both. 

It generally seemed that the dress code on port days was casual and on sea days was smart or formal. I guess that would change based on the itinerary and number of ports (we had a 50/50 split of sea days and port days) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ambassador say:

DRESS CODE

During the day, attitudes are very relaxed, and informality is the key. Casual clothing is quite sufficient during the days at sea and for time spent ashore. On certain destination experiences and at some religious sites, discretion should be used so as not to cause inadvertent offence with inappropriate clothing. Advice will be given on board in such cases. Every day, the Daily Programme suggests, as a guide, a mode of dress for that particular evening’s events. Generally, there are two ‘formal’ or Ambassador nights planned on each cruise when many gentlemen wear a dinner jacket, although a lounge suit is quite acceptable. The ladies on these occasions have a chance to dress up and often opt for evening or cocktail dresses. On evenings proposed as ‘smart’, a suit or smart jacket and trousers, with or without a tie, for the men is suggested and the ladies have further opportunities to look elegant in a cocktail dress, trouser suits and stylish co-ordinates. A ‘casual’ recommendation often covers evenings spent in port or when a special event such as a deck party is scheduled. In these cases, the choice of dress is left entirely to you.