driving Amalfi Coast this Summer? Please Read

slidergirl

As I was going through my email today, i had my usual mail from one of my travel sites.  They had this about driving restrictions getting put in place for the Amalfi Coast to help with congestion:

"New rules for driving the Amalfi Coast this summer

Italy’s stunningly scenic Amalfi Coast has long been a popular road trip for travelers, but this summer, the winding route is getting some new rules designed to combat over-tourism and suffocating summer traffic. 

ANAS, the company responsible for regulating Italy’s roads and highways is enacting the new rules after being delivered a petition that garnered more than 10,000 signatures from local residents. 

Now, during peak hours, drivers will have to follow an alternate license plate system, meaning that on even-numbered days, cars with plates ending in an even will be prohibited from hitting the road, and vice versa on odd-numbered days. Residents of the 13 coastal towns, taxis, public transportation, police, and emergency vehicles will be exempt, but the rules will apply to rental cars. 

Vehicles measuring more than 34 feet long will also be banned entirely. So, if you’re planning on renting a camper or trailer, it might be time to rethink your summer travels. 

The restrictions go into effect June 15th through September 30th from 10 am to 6 pm and will also be applied during Holy Week and Easter, which is from April 24th through May 2nd."

I thought this would be of interest to any of us going to this part of Italy this summer.

• Thanks 1

First, it's about time.

Fortunately, for most cruisers (or at least those who post here), a car service is the only way they drive along the coast, and they are exempt from these new rules.

This was actually agreed to before Covid but there wasn't a need to enact it for the last couple of years, all reports have been that this year is overwhelmingly crowded.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, euro cruiser said:

First, it's about time.

Fortunately, for most cruisers (or at least those who post here), a car service is the only way they drive along the coast, and they are exempt from these new rules.

This was actually agreed to before Covid but there wasn't a need to enact it for the last couple of years, all reports have been that this year is overwhelmingly crowded.

I try to keep folks informed about the things I see.  like the ban on single-use bags and bottles on Capri.  Tourists love to go there, but are oblivious to all that trash they leave behind and has to be barged off the island for disposal.  

Those that were on the fence about renting a car may now be pushed to the private service side.  

Those of us who are always drivers will have to keep an eye on the day of the week!!!   kind of like back in the Bush #1 days when in California we had the odd/even thing for filling up your gas tank.  Spent a night in our RV in Mojave, waiting until midnight so it would change and we could gas up!!!

Edited by slidergirl

47 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Those that were on the fence about renting a car may now be pushed to the private service side.  

Those of us who are always drivers will have to keep an eye on the day of the week!!!   kind of like back in the Bush #1 days when in California we had the odd/even thing for filling up your gas tank.  Spent a night in our RV in Mojave, waiting until midnight so it would change and we could gas up!!!

I'd support almost anything that reduces the traffic along the coast in summer, it's awful.

I remember the odd/even gas days, I was a brand new driver and thought I'd make some money waiting in gas lines for neighbors (they were willing to pay) but my mother insisted I do it for free, she wouldn't let them pay me. 

4 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

I remember the odd/even gas days, I was a brand new driver and thought I'd make some money waiting in gas lines for neighbors (they were willing to pay) but my mother insisted I do it for free, she wouldn't let them pay me. 

😂 Your mother didn't recognise great initiative and entrepreneurship.