Pre-cruise testing requirements

jcathers1

We are US citizens, and leaving for a Caribbean cruise from Miami at the end of July. According the the website, current requirements are "All fully COVID-19 vaccinated guests are required to show proof of a negative antigen or RT-PCR test taken no more than 2 days prior to embarkation."

We haven't had to test for COVID for any travel yet, so I guess I'm not sure what kind of test this is. CVS pharmacy provides "in-person lab tests" that are PCR/NAAT, and you receive the results within 1-2 days. These are $139/test. They also have "at home" rapid antigen and PCR tests for $9.99.

Do at home tests meet the MSC requirements? I guess I was just shocked that we would have to pay nearly $300 to get us both tested. Are there other options that are cheaper that people have utilized?

Hello -

As of today, MSC still requires a negative COVID test within 48 hours ( two days ) before cruising. 

What I did, which worked for my family on todays date is to book a COVID test with Walgreens as they offer rapid COVID testing for $129. I can't tell you what is best for your family, but if during the Walgreens appointment booking feature you indicate that you """ARE NOT""" using traveling as a reason for the COVID test and indicate that your COVID test is being done because you have a cough, a headache, possibly been exposed to someone with possible COVID ETC., the test is free.  Also, there are many Walgreens near the port and you can book an appointment up to seven days out. I can't speak for CVS. Also, there are home service agencies that charge about $30 to verify the test online. Good Luck

Edited by juancarlosgarciasanchez

Currently, at home Covid tests do not qualify for MSC test requirements.

Tests need to be done by licensed lab. This does not have to be done at Walgreens or CVS.

Tele monitored tests can be done at home with video monitoring. 
There are a few companies offering this service.

We used eMed.com  for our last 3 cruises. The tests are ordered and you log into an app to get a person online to watch you take the test . 
Optum.com  is also a source for fewer tests. Binax Now AG Card Covid test.

Cost for eMed was $150 for 6 tests plus overnight shipping of $12.

Optum is $69.99 for 2 or $99.99 for 3 tests .

Note-

you do not need PCR test for fully vaccinated. Covid Antigen test is fine and costs less than PCR.

Edited by phissy

5 minutes ago, phissy said:

Currently, at home Covid tests do not qualify for MSC test requirements.

Tests need to be done by licensed lab. This does not have to be done at Walgreens or CVS.

Tele monitored tests can be done at home with video monitoring. 
There are a few companies offering this service.

We used eMed for our last 3 cruises. The tests are ordered and you log into an app to get a person online to watch you take the test . 
Optum is also a source for fewer tests.

Cost for eMed was $150 for 6 tests plus overnight shipping of $12.

Thanks for your information-

If I purchase a two pack test-kit from E-MED, can two different travelers use the same test kit  ? Thanks 

2 minutes ago, juancarlosgarciasanchez said:

If I purchase a two pack test-kit from E-MED, can two different travelers use the same test kit  ? Thanks 

Yes, you can.

I think this is why eMed now offers a 2 pack.  

Last fall, many couples were not happy having to purchase 6 tests , as that was the only option.
Important Note

Watch videos online about doing the test. Get familiar with the process.

Practice setting up iPad or phone etc. they need to see you and tabletop.

DO NOT OPEN individual box until told to do so by proctor.

• Like 1

Just now, phissy said:

Yes, you can.

I think this is why eMed now offers a 2 pack.  

Last fall, many couples were not happy having to purchase 6 tests , as that was the only option.
Important Note

Watch videos online about doing the test. Get familiar with the process.

Practice setting up iPad or phone etc. they need to see you and tabletop.

DO NOT OPEN individual box until told to do so by proctor.

Thanks-

I will order for next cruise in two months, but for tomorrows cruise, Walgreens worked fine.   Thanks 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jcathers1 said:

Thanks, all. 

How quickly do you get a test result from the tele-monitored test? Does it get emailed to you?

You do the swab, stick it in the "card" and then wait 15 minutes for the results.  Tells you right away if you are negative or positive.  Email is sent quickly. Definitely within 1/2 hour but I think it was almost immediate. We have used the proctored tests for 4 cruises and it works great.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, juancarlosgarciasanchez said:

The Binax with AG card test kit you will receive has only ONE test in the box, unlike the non-monitored kits you buy at the store - or receive from the US government. So one kit per person.

I like having a back-up kit (ie, get three kits for 2 people) in case it is a faulty kit or you drop it while performing the test.

It is actually straight forward to do as long as you have internet connection and a mobile phone or computer with camera and microphone capabilities. I am not extremely tech savvy, but had no difficulties.  It might help to watch a YouTube video of performing the test.  (Now I see above poster said the same thing!)

Nice plus - You can do the test in the middle of the night two days before your cruise or whatever time it’s convenient to you.  

I think people have used HSA $ - but don’t hold me to that. 

I’ve done three types of testing - big money (did it outside in the heat at a private lab), drive-through at CVS, and online proctored. The last was the easiest; at home and immediate results (that’s the big clincher).

• Like 1

We have done the Emed tests for both Royal Caribbean and Princess cruises and it has worked smoothly. We were able to show our negative test results on our phone during check in.

Does anyone know if MSC requires us to print out the test results or can we just have them on our phone to show? We are leaving from Port Canaveral on the Divina in a few weeks. 

It looks like MSC requires printed test results, as does NCL.

We did bring our printed results and had them on phone when we cruised on MSC in November. Those doing the check in commented they appreciated the printed results as they are much easier to read.

On NCL in May, we had to have printed results for embarkation.

From MSC site- 

While at the terminal and during embarkation you will need:

• Proof of vaccine (vaccine card or certificate of vaccination is required).
  • Proof of negative COVID-19 test for guests 2 years and older, for both pre-embarkation testing, and if provided and required by MSC Cruises for embarkation testing.
  •  
  •  Guests must bring the valid negative test certificate with them to the terminal.
  •  
  • All unvaccinated guests (per our vaccination requirements) will be tested at the pier.
  • MSC Cruises may provide additional testing, if necessary, at the terminal during embarkation or on board to protect our guests and crew.
  • An assigned arrival time will be provided on your e-ticket. If you arrive early, you may be asked to wait outside until your embarkation time.

I saw the requirements on MSC website  and was worried it meant a printed copy was needed, although it could be read more broadly to possibly mean is a digital certificate of test results will suffice. I have also read contradictory Facebook posts - some saying printed copies were required and some that said they showed test results on their phones at check-in.  We will opt for being on the safe side and each print out a pdf of our Emed results to bring to the port. 

Edited by erber

In December in Miami, they were taking multiple photos of passports, results… on a mobile phone for each guest.  I had paper copies of everything but passport - and got processed much quicker.  I hope that was just their starting up the season in an unfinished facility.  Nevertheless, I am taking paper copies again for my next cruise.  

I am more interested in getting on the ship than trying to drag them into the 21st century.  😅

• Like 1