Just back! Our VIKING SKY-mazing 7 day Ancient Mediterranean Treasures - 6/25 to 7/2/2022. Full trip report with tons of pix!

Sleep7

3 hours ago, Catlover54 said:

I enjoyed your very positive blog (have never cruised Viking, but am considering it).  It is wonderful to see such enthusiasm!

Your posting the food menus and pictures of some of the food was especially helpful, so I can compare with other lines I cruise.

Was there anything on or *about the ship* (not the ports)  that you disliked (or that you thought could be improved, or was annoying?)

👋Hello Catlover54 and thank you so so much for your sweet compliments about my blog.  I'm so glad that you felt the enthusiasm jump off the page! I felt that way the whole week.. so lucky and so happy to be aboard enjoying such a lovely cruise.

Would I change anything?  Hmm... I can't think of anything really.

Every i was dotted and every t was crossed.. all with a smile.

So no.. I don't think I can think of anything.

I guess that's the mark of a successful cruise!😃

Whatever line you decide.. have a wonderful time!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lanzie99 said:

Such an incredible travel blog of your trip and the PICTURES...thank you, We are going on Viking Saturn next summer to Iceland and Greenland....getting excited already

👋Hi lanzie99!!  Well thanks so so much!  I'm so very glad that you enjoyed my words and pictures.  I'm so touched that you labeled it "incredible."  That's a huge compliment!😍

How exciting that you will be going to Iceland and Greenland.. truly a trip to be EXCITED about.

🙋‍♀️Have the best time ever!!  Thank you again.

👋Hello again!

Another movie just added to my "I miss being on our cruise" list.

"My Life in Ruins" starring Nia Vardalos.  A little cringy and not quite as funny as "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" but still worth watching for more than a few chuckles and that Greek scenery fix!

I found it on youtube.. full movie for free.😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 4:07 PM, Sleep7 said:

Oh thanks so much TheEs2022!  I'm so glad that my report had a ton of great info for you!  You are going to have the best time.  Viking is truly wonderful and I always think your first cruise on a new line is the most magical.

As far as hairdryers.. a subject I know very well.. 🤣

The one in the cabin is fantastic.  I have very thick hair and I have never used a hairdryer that a hotel or ship supplied that I loved and this one is the best.  So you are set on the ship.

As far as pre/post cruise at your hotel do you have a travel hairdryer that is dual voltage?

Brookstone (which went out of business) had a great one and I stocked up for travel but unfortunately are not available anymore.

I only tried the ship's dryer because on our first Viking cruise I thought that since the cabin had USA plug that a USA hairdryer would work and I brought my Dyson dryer with me and it didn't even turn on.

A Dyson hairdryer when you are at home is awesome though.

I just googled "best dual voltage travel hairdryer" and came up with these..

https://top10best.how/dual-voltage-travel-hair-dryer?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Search&t_source=64&utm_campaign=6192&gclid=CjwKCAjwq5-WBhB7EiwAl-HEkiQbcPDmZ9TSvRnS94VY60FG5SkBa4qEpDQJnWk4exZv6ticKwMXXxoC2uYQAvD_BwE

Hopefully one of these will work well for you.

Good luck!! Have fun!! Any questions I am always happy to answer.😃

Let’s talk more about the hairdryer.  Is the tapered nozzle at the end removable so I can use my diffuser?  😊

👋Hi Lisaatric!

Yes.. the "concentrator" (which is shown in the picture on the box) at the tip does come off and the end is round.. looks just like this.😃

I don't know about diffusers.. I hope yours will fit.🤞

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1SZmkUrwualcFsO1D4KI344ldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1656789278

• Like 1

Thank you so much for sharing your travel experiences in one of my favorite parts of the world.  We mainly travel  internationally in the Summer, so Greece for me is always "hot as Hades," but that never stops me from seeing as much as I can and exploring everywhere!  I took my first cruise to Greece and Istanbul back in 1973, and as we both know, those amazing ports remain etched in one's memory forever!

Although I am not Jewish, I especially enjoyed your tour in Rhodes, because I could see how personally meaningful the experience was for your family, and it is a part of Rhodes that I completely missed and never realized was so full of history.

Your enthusiasm and joy came across in all of your writing, and I wish you many more years of wonderful cruise experiences.

6 hours ago, LibertyBella said:

Thank you so much for sharing your travel experiences in one of my favorite parts of the world.  We mainly travel  internationally in the Summer, so Greece for me is always "hot as Hades," but that never stops me from seeing as much as I can and exploring everywhere!  I took my first cruise to Greece and Istanbul back in 1973, and as we both know, those amazing ports remain etched in one's memory forever!

Although I am not Jewish, I especially enjoyed your tour in Rhodes, because I could see how personally meaningful the experience was for your family, and it is a part of Rhodes that I completely missed and never realized was so full of history.

Your enthusiasm and joy came across in all of your writing, and I wish you many more years of wonderful cruise experiences.

👋Oh thanks so much LibertyBella!!  Your sweet compliments about the happy tone of my blog truly made my day!

And yes.. Greece is a scorcher in the summer but as you said.. it's still a thrill.

So glad that you enjoyed the "Jewish Tour" of Rhodes.  It's always so interesting to learn the history of our ancestors and I really didn't know much about the Greek Jews and their tragic fate in WWII so I was fascinated by it all.  There actually happened to be a big tour group from Israel visiting that day from an Israeli cruise ship docked next to us and they were singing Hebrew songs while waiting to go into the museum.  It was quite an experience.

I wish you many happy travels in the future as well and thank you again!😍

• Like 1

Great review and photos. We are booked on Viking Mars Sydney to Auckland Feb. 2023, my wife and I plus our friends have similar interests that you guys have and like you always take time to visit historically significant Jewish sites whenever we travel. Thanks for sharing, glad you had a good trip!

8 hours ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Great review and photos. We are booked on Viking Mars Sydney to Auckland Feb. 2023, my wife and I plus our friends have similar interests that you guys have and like you always take time to visit historically significant Jewish sites whenever we travel. Thanks for sharing, glad you had a good trip!

👋Hello Fieldofdreams!

Oh I'm so glad that you enjoyed all my pix and commentary..  especially sweet that you have similar interests about the Jewish tour in Rhodes.  It was a really interesting one for sure. 

How exciting that you are cruising on the Mars in February!  Enjoy every moment.

Thanks again for your compliments.😃

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2022 at 11:43 AM, Sleep7 said:

Since many passengers were going to be off the ship the following evening on excursions The Sky held their Viking Farewell reception with Captain Fredrik Nilsson tonight. 

It was sinking in that tomorrow was the last day of our cruise so it was bittersweet.

There was true camaraderie among the crew which was palpable.. very heartwarming.

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QEz70HnZ_XQlnyp6325lCL5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789107

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1T59BH2V4QPOP4GJY4pFTYGldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789108

00-82qzCefrjPOP0EP8W0X1Ip5oRj-16P8b-K8ijSg6I1QmMbIvRGdFx-XYPdncdBAJ5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large&ts=1656789107

Thank you Sleep7.  We depart in 3 weeks for Istanbul.  Pre-extension there before our Mediterannean Iconic Shores 25 Aug - 26 Sep which includes your trip and a couple others.  We end up in Tarragona and post-excursion in Madrid.  Your travel blog was amazing.  We have done most of the cities at least once before but reading your adventure sure got us anxious to leave.  We love, love, love Viking Ocean.  Just returned from France's Finest which was great but we are anxious to get back on the Ocean ships.  Thanks ago and enjoy your travels.  

1 hour ago, Ontario/AZ said:

Thank you Sleep7.  We depart in 3 weeks for Istanbul.  Pre-extension there before our Mediterannean Iconic Shores 25 Aug - 26 Sep which includes your trip and a couple others.  We end up in Tarragona and post-excursion in Madrid.  Your travel blog was amazing.  We have done most of the cities at least once before but reading your adventure sure got us anxious to leave.  We love, love, love Viking Ocean.  Just returned from France's Finest which was great but we are anxious to get back on the Ocean ships.  Thanks ago and enjoy your travels.  

Oh thanks so much for your kind words Ontario/AZ!! 

I'm so glad that my blog made you extra excited about your trip.  And what a trip it is! Wow.. a month at sea and pre and post extensions.  Lucky you!!!!

I love Viking Ocean too and it's wonderful that you have leisure to fully such a long and lovely sailing.

We were on the end of your cruise last fall (from Barcelona to Rome) and I did a very similar blog about that if you are interested.

Here is the link.

Thank you again and enjoy every moment!!

9 hours ago, shorton said:

Loved all the great info and pics. We are on the Rome to Istanbul cruise on Venus in October. Your post is perfect reading for us. 

👋Hi shorton!!

I'm sooo glad that you enjoyed my blog and that it made you anticipate with a smile your upcoming cruise in October!  Even better is that you will have twice the fun as yours is twice as long.

October is coming soon.. thank you and enjoy enjoy enjoy!!😃

11 hours ago, shorton said:

Loved all the great info and pics. We are on the Rome to Istanbul cruise on Venus in October. Your post is perfect reading for us. 

We have done Rome to Lisbon just before Covid.  It was the first part of November which I found chilly as I had not packed enough warmer clothes.  I think we have done 5 river and 5 Ocean with Viking so far.  We have been retired for years so a month away is our usual.  

16 hours ago, sleepygirl1 said:

I just read and thoroughly enjoyed your trip review. I am doing this same cruise in October…you have helped me out and made me so excited! Thank you!!

👋  Oh thanks so much for the compliments sleepygirl1!  I'm so glad that my review was helpful and made you extra excited about your upcoming cruise.  October will be here before you know it.. enjoy every moment!😃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Wow....you're really getting alot of "extra mileage" out of your thread following the end of your cruise!  Maybe think about starting a travel blog. You seem to have "the right touch" 🙂

👋Well thanks so much OnTheJourney!

What an amazing compliment that is and I am truly touched at what you wrote.

My husband and daughters frequently tell me that I should start a travel blog but inertia has gotten the best of me so far.  It's always lurking in the back of my head though..

I do write travel articles gratis for a local print and online magazine and it's a fun past time.

https://www.etweekmedia.com/author/claudia-fenner/

Those articles are only about 400 words so they don't afford much room for the nitty gritty details like the reports on Cruise Critic which I much prefer.  Can't wax on about hair dryers and empty laundry rooms with a 400 word limit!🤭

Thank you again for your very sweet post.🤗

On 8/13/2022 at 9:45 PM, Sleep7 said:

Thank you again for your very sweet post

Without knowing you personally, I'd say you have the correct online persona and writing style for blogging. It requires a good bit of work however, based on what I've read about others who have done it. It would appear that while traveling you have to write posts every day, but I suspect that'd sort of be right up your alley. NO idea how all the product endorsements / sponsored content, etc. works. I know it wouldn't be my thing. 

2 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

Without knowing you personally, I'd say you have the correct online persona and writing style for blogging. It requires a good bit of work however, based on what I've read about others who have done it. It would appear that while traveling you have to write posts every day, but I suspect that'd sort of be right up your alley. NO idea how all the product endorsements / sponsored content, etc. works. I know it wouldn't be my thing. 

💁‍♀️Well thanks again OnTheJourney!  I am so happy that this blog seems to have been just the right balance of photos, storytelling, and a sense of humor.

And yes.. I do agree that running your own blog is a lot of work.. I think however think the rewards could be great.  I'm a little stymied (and a touch lazy) about creating one.

I do have three 20something daughters who would be happy to help me get started, as I'm a little technically challenged, but I guess that this existing Cruise Critic set up is something I am able to do by myself and it scratches my itch to "publish."

I also totally agree that successful travel blogging on ones own site has to be done every day to be current, while this forum can be done after I get home and the laundry is done.🤗

4 minutes ago, Sleep7 said:

also totally agree that successful travel blogging on ones own site has to be done every day to be current, while this forum can be done after I get home and the laundry is done.🤗

AND...I believe you have to travel aLOT - as in a good part of the year - not just a few weeks. Most I've seen are basically full-time travelers. Check out this one as an example:  https://www.worldwidewaftage.com   I'd never want to be away from home anywhere near this much. A 2-3 week trip is more than enough for me at any one time, and then perhaps another trip a few months after that. A nice, fairly substantial trip 3 times a year or so satisfies my wanderlust. The rest of the time...MORE than enough to do at home. 

Edited by OnTheJourney