Drive to Galveston- Weekend traffic?

We will be flying into IAH on a Saturday afternoon in late October arriving about 2pm. (Not sure yet if we will go with a shuttle or car-service.)

1- Is it too optimistic to hope that the drive from IAH to Galveston will be less congested than other times I've read about? 

2- Will the construction I've read about be completed?

It's our first trip to Galveston so we will be staying for two nights prior to our cruise.   After reading on these boards, I'm beginning to wish we could stay longer than two nights!   (Our cruise ends up in Miami on NCL's Prima) 

11 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

1- Is it too optimistic to hope that the drive from IAH to Galveston will be less congested than other times I've read about? 

As someone who lives in the area and drives south on 45 almost every weekend I can tell you traffic is completely unpredictable. Most weekends it is fine, some it is a nightmare. Since you are arriving at the airport at 2pm then heading down you should be good as traffic heading down to Galveston at that time should be lite as most people heading down there go earlier in the day.

2- Will the construction I've read about be completed?

No. The construction currently on 45 south on the way to Galveston is not scheduled to be completed for several more years. It's just something we locals have to live with & visitors just have to be prepared for. Sorry.

I would be prepared for it to take 2 hours to go from IAH to Galveston & hope it only takes 1 hour. Best of luck. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

Thanks for your responses.   

It seems like the trip from airport to Galveston is the most complicated part of trip🤔         

Don't let the comments scare you.  Houston is the 4th largest city in the U S so there is bound to be traffic which occurs world wide. I've traveled all over the world over decades.  Houston is no worse, if not much better, than other major cities.

Edited by Galveston Cruiser
  • Thanks 1

It seems like the trip from airport to Galveston is the most complicated part of trip🤔         

That would be correct , but that drive has never taken me more than 1 hour and 30 minutes.. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/5/2022 at 12:09 PM, Sand and Seas said:

Per mile, it can also be the most expensive part of the trip... 😉

• Haha 1