Iona - Port excursion problems

Waldo58

Firstly have to say the ship, staff, food and entertainment are superb.

However the arrangements for the excursion have been pretty bad. Firstly, at Stavanger we were due on a 9.30 excursion but had a call the day before from reception saying that was overbooked and we could go later at 12.30. That was fine but could have been an issue for anybody who had other plans for the afternoon.

At Olden though the situation was worse. Our excursion was due to leave at 9.30 and proceeded ashore with plenty of time before departure. Went to the bus we were told to go to and was informed it was already full and another bus was due. There were lots of people standing in the rain. The bus was due in 10 minutes which passed and eventually turned up 20 minutes late. 
It was fairly clear that not everybody was going to get on that bus either. People started to board and lo and behold everybody couldn’t get on and as expected those left off were not happy. The tour guide was quite abrupt and told people if they didn’t like it they could go back to UK!

We were some of the lucky ones who managed to get on the bus and the tour itself was good although as we left 30 minutes late but arrived back at the appointed time I’m guessing part of the tour was missed out.

Either P & O or the local tours messed up in numbers/busses.

I have subsequently been told that the problem occurred because about 10 people got on the first bus who should have been on another tour. 
Again indicates a lack of organisation somewhere.

1 hour ago, Waldo58 said:

I have subsequently been told that the problem occurred because about 10 people got on the first bus who should have been on another tour. 
Again indicates a lack of organisation somewhere.

Well that’s annoying they caused some people to miss out on their excursion, I hope those missing it got refunded with extra. As for the woman being rude she should be reported.

Edited by Jazzytelly
Typo

2 hours ago, Jazzytelly said:

Well that’s annoying they caused some people to miss out on their excursion, I hope those missing it got refunded with extra. As for the woman being rude she should be reported.

I understand refunds were give. It was a man who was rude. I wouldn’t want fair maidens to be wrongly accused!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Waldo58 said:

I understand refunds were give. It was a man who was rude. I wouldn’t want fair maidens to be wrongly accused!

Well I hope the refunds were paid faster than ours, still waiting for the cancelled Gerainger trip to be refunded , and that was over a month ago 😡 

5 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Well I hope the refunds were paid faster than ours, still waiting for the cancelled Gerainger trip to be refunded , and that was over a month ago 😡 

We got our Geiranger refund on 10/6. Our re-arranged Stavanger one was refunded and then re-charged and we got the refund on Monday of this week.

Speak to reception on board.

Normally come back within days, however our whole party has not received any of the refunds, also the people travelling with us in September  have had two of their trips cancelled ten days ago but not received any refund as yet, I've e mailed P and O but have had no response

Just now, gsmt47471015 said:

Normally come back within days, however our whole party has not received any of the refunds, also the people travelling with us in September  have had two of their trips cancelled ten days ago but not received any refund as yet, I've e mailed P and O but have had no response

I suspect reception on Iona will be getting a visit from us all asap

2 minutes ago, david63 said:

It is nothing to do with reception - it is the tours people that deal with it

Yes I understand that , poor choice of wording on my behalf, might have to wait to see them as its always busy, and usually understaffed , no rush its only our money there keeping 😆

Oh dear, Iona’s cruises to Norway seem full of problems. I’m interested in the cruise on now as my friend is onboard. I see ‘elsewhere’ they’ve missed Hellesylt and will be missing Haugesund due to high winds. Going to Alesund instead.

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Oh dear, Iona’s cruises to Norway seem full of problems. I’m interested in the cruise on now as my friend is onboard. I see ‘elsewhere’ they’ve missed Hellesylt and will be missing Haugesund due to high winds. Going to Alesund instead.

Personally I would prefer Alesund to Haugesund.  I think there is more of interest there. 

On 7/6/2022 at 5:59 PM, gsmt47471015 said:

And to add injury to insult we have today received an e mail to say our trip to Geiranger has been cancelled and a full refund will be forthcoming, just over a month after the same e mail and the promise of a refund. And what's more our evening trip and lobster dinner in Boston in September has now just been cancelled, again with no reason given . I wonder if it is actually worth booking any trips as they appear to be getting cancelled faster than they can be booked, becoming very disillusioned 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

Personally I would prefer Alesund to Haugesund.  I think there is more of interest there. 

Oh yes sounds much nicer, shame they only got to two ports this cruise though.

On 7/6/2022 at 5:59 PM, gsmt47471015 said:

Did you cancel or waiting for P.O. to cancel. I went and canceled myself got refund next day

1 minute ago, Tikka234 said:

Did you cancel or waiting for P.O. to cancel. I went and canceled myself got refund next day

P and O sent an e mail saying the trip had been cancelled and a refund would be credited to our account within a few days, which in the past they have been , no such luck this time

10 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

P and O sent an e mail saying the trip had been cancelled and a refund would be credited to our account within a few days, which in the past they have been , no such luck this time

I had the same e mail waited a week then went to my orders and canceled myself money in bank next day, If it's still on your order just cancel yourself

• Like 1

7 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Oh yes sounds much nicer, shame they only got to two ports this cruise though.

Yes that really is a shame and i feel sorry for those on that cruise.  I think though, with a short cruise and the loss of the star attraction, Haugesund would be better replaced permanently by a more interesting port. 

In a 4 port itinerary we don't mind one which is rather low-key in the context of going to other big hitters but with the changes made to Iona's itinerary replacing Haugesund for something more attractive would be a good move imo.  

We have been on cruises which didn't deliver anything like the itinerary we'd expected (weather and/or mechanical failures) but that cannot be predicted and you just have to roll with it.  But where a major change has occured (whether the Company agree with that description or not) and will continue perhaps swapping Haugesund with a more exciting stop would be a good idea.  Though that would be another change - and perhaps wouldn't suit everyone and cause logistical problems so I guess it's not a proposition.  Not easy! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kruzseeka said:

Yes that really is a shame and i feel sorry for those on that cruise.  I think though, with a short cruise and the loss of the star attraction, Haugesund would be better replaced permanently by a more interesting port. 

In a 4 port itinerary we don't mind one which is rather low-key in the context of going to other big hitters but with the changes made to Iona's itinerary replacing Haugesund for something more attractive would be a good move imo.  

We have been on cruises which didn't deliver anything like the itinerary we'd expected (weather and/or mechanical failures) but that cannot be predicted and you just have to roll with it.  But where a major change has occured (whether the Company agree with that description or not) and will continue perhaps swapping Haugesund with a more exciting stop would be a good idea.  Though that would be another change - and perhaps wouldn't suit everyone and cause logistical problems so I guess it's not a proposition.  Not easy! 

Yes I have a friend on this cruise so it will be very interesting to hear what she says when she gets back!

• Like 1