Are the Reports I've Read Claiming Numbers Like 20% of Departing Passengers Test Positive for Covid?

mnocket

1 hour ago, lissie said:

NZ  does extensive wastewater testing - its unbelievably accurate. In one case when we had zero covid in the community prior to Covid - they tracked one  family in a rural town!  

Do people not have septic systems there?  The testing might work in town here but in the county it is all septic.

5 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Do people not have septic systems there?  The testing might work in town here but in the county it is all septic.

Yes really remote sure - but towns generally have sewerage - this was a town of maybe 5000 pop 

5 hours ago, whogo said:

Ouch. I hope they are doing well. 

I followed two Cruise Critic blogs from HAL Alaska cruise/tours, both reported that people caught covid on the land portion of the trip and were not allowed to board the ship. Btimmer reported two families were affected. Also: "I learned today from our CD that 143 people did not make the ship due to Covid and that the rate of infections for the southbound is DRAMATICALLY higher than the northbound cruises." 142 is about 7% of Noordam's capacity and I assume that some of those 142 were covid negative traveling companions.

Alphen reported on June 30: "We are now on board the cruise train, turns out only 17 out of the original 33 in our group made it!!!"

Others have reported being angry at coughing fellow passengers towards the end of their cruises, but I always heard coughs on my pre-pandemic cruises.

Thanks  One, the most senior among our group, spent a couple of days in hospital.  He is doing great now.  

I had not even thought of the hazard associated with the land/sea itineraries.  Kind of makes sense now that you shared that info.   Take care.   

7 hours ago, ldubs said:

Thanks  One, the most senior among our group, spent a couple of days in hospital.  He is doing great now.  

I had not even thought of the hazard associated with the land/sea itineraries.  Kind of makes sense now that you shared that info.   Take care.   

At this time it is better to do the cruise portion first and then the land portion.

• Like 1