Cruising before a refit.

wowzz

54 minutes ago, davecttr said:

All cruise lines do that especially if they are going to sell the ship. Why waste money on refurbishment when you won't get any benefit. Of course they HAVE to do essential maintenance.

I'd agree, but Azura and Ventura are not likely to be sold for at least another ten years.

2 hours ago, Billish said:

I'd agree, but Azura and Ventura are not likely to be sold for at least another ten years.

If they are going to keep them for 10 years they had better get on and spend many millions on refurbishing the cabins and public areas plus an awful lot of cabling kilometres to get the onboard tech up to scratch.

By way of comparison Celebrity Galaxy began cruising in 1996. she moved to TUI cruises in 2009 after a 50 million eoro refurbishment. In 2018 she moved to Marella cruises after another multi million refurbishment.

Ventura entered service in 2008 so she is due for a multi million refurbishment in 2021. As she has about 50% more passengers than Celebrity Galaxy/Mein Schiff/Marella Explorer about £100 million should do the job nicely. Followed by Azura a couple of years later.

3 hours ago, Billish said:

Azura and Ventura are not likely to be sold for at least another ten years.

Do we know that for a fact?

Any ship could go at any time - especially in the current economic climate.

20 minutes ago, david63 said:

Do we know that for a fact?

Any ship could go at any time - especially in the current economic climate.

In the current climate, no one is going to want to buy a second hand cruise ship !

Azura and Ventura are major profit centres for P&O, and therefore they will not be looking to off load them any time soon. 

51 minutes ago, Billish said:

In the current climate, no one is going to want to buy a second hand cruise ship !

China might, and don't forget that there is a Carnival/China tie up.

52 minutes ago, Billish said:

Azura and Ventura are major profit centres for P&O

Probably not as big as Iona/Arvia

The TV issue is an interesting one. The whole fleet was supposed to be upgraded to minimum 32 inch TVs in cabins following the introduction of Britannia. I know Arcadia has been done and suspect Aurora too. I don't recall why Ventura and Azura didn't get done.

Azura and Ventura dont look too bad they do look like they are one or two classes before Iona, and rightly so.

44 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

The TV issue is an interesting one. The whole fleet was supposed to be upgraded to minimum 32 inch TVs in cabins following the introduction of Britannia. I know Arcadia has been done and suspect Aurora too. I don't recall why Ventura and Azura didn't get done.

Azura and Ventura dont look too bad they do look like they are one or two classes before Iona, and rightly so.

They really should have new tvs as soon as possible. 

3 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

They really should have new tvs as soon as possible. 

For the amount we watch tv they could take them out!!! Do agree though that if Azura and Ventura are been kept the time is fast approaching when serious upgrading will be required to keep up with other lines improvements

5 minutes ago, gsmt47471015 said:

For the amount we watch tv they could take them out!!! Do agree though that if Azura and Ventura are been kept the time is fast approaching when serious upgrading will be required to keep up with other lines improvements

I agree and one of the improvements would be interactive tv which would make things simpler. Watching shows on tv is secondary. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gettingwarmer said:

I agree and one of the improvements would be interactive tv which would make things simpler. Watching shows on tv is secondary. 

Very impressed with the interactive tv on Iona , never watched it as a stand alone tv but the rest of the apps on it were useful

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gsmt47471015 said:

Very impressed with the interactive tv on Iona , never watched it as a stand alone tv but the rest of the apps on it were useful

I checked my onboard account on the TV and kept the smart phone in the safe having found no need for it.