How much do you leave in cagneys for a tip with dining plan

On 7/14/2022 at 12:47 PM, SeaShark said:

Actually, the WORDS matter (they always do).

If the giver (the guest) determines the amount, it is a gratuity. If the amount is dictated, then it is, by law, a service charge. 

A business can recommend a 20% gratuity, but if they assess the 20% then it legally is a service charge...no matter what they call it.

People should really take the time to research, read, and learn rather than try to parse and argue. Just a basic, what is the difference between a service charge and a gratuity? If they are the same, why the different names? What are the ramifications of one over the other?

However, we don't do that on CC...

Words don’t matter unless you are a slimy lawyer. The intent matters. 

especially when dealing on international business where English is not necessarily your first language. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Thanks 1

hey bird travels, was this a personal attack, or do you feel all lawyers are slimy?

read the question clearly. the concept is very clear whether youre a slimy lawyer or not.  if you want to leave a tip, do so, if not dont. it has nothing to do with   whether or not there has been a gratuity added if you feel that the additional gratutity to the bill is sufficient, dont leave anything extra.

it also has nothing to do with any language barrier. for all the cruises you claim to have been on, im sure you have noticed, most (if not all) of the crew speak english well enough to be understood, and to understand a request in english. 

i may be jaded in my old age, and i will concede that i probably havent been to nearly as many ports of places as you, but  i can tell you, wherever i have been, i have found most  people "si habla $20 bill"

if not 20 euro bill.  

if you want to leave a tip (even if there has been a gratuity added) feel free to do so, if not dont.

"a rose by any  other name...."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

was this a personal attack, or do you feel all lawyers are slimy?

Yeah, that was certainly a strange comment.  Fortunately, I've had very little need for lawyers in my life.  I did just meet with one yesterday, and he is worth his weight in gold.  (estate planning, not DUI or other bad situations)  Ironically, we wound up with a brief cruise discussion and his family hasn't been able to cruise due to kids ineligible for vaccinations.  I (we) think that is finally improving. 😎