Anchorage Bus or Train (motion Sickness)

Jeter02

Two quick questions in regard to the train from Anchorage to whittier. One how much is typically the train ride?

Also for someone who tends to get motion sickness is the train by any chance any better than doing the bus? I'm very hit and miss when I do that right on the bus so just curious to know if the train is slightly better to take I don't do well on curvy roads.

The train's domed cars will provide you a much more panoramic view of the horizon which often helps with motion sickness.

Curves are much more gentle on the train as well. There can be a gentle rocking on the train but IMHO is much smoother than on a bus. There's no forward and back motion like there would be on a bus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeter02 said:

Two quick questions in regard to the train from Anchorage to whittier. One how much is typically the train ride?

Also for someone who tends to get motion sickness is the train by any chance any better than doing the bus? I'm very hit and miss when I do that right on the bus so just curious to know if the train is slightly better to take I don't do well on curvy roads.

The highway between Anchorage and Whittier is mostly straight, flat, and smooth. I actually think you feel more motion on the train.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Colorado Coasty said:

The highway between Anchorage and Whittier is mostly straight, flat, and smooth. I actually think you feel more motion on the train.

I've done the bus a few times through Whittier and it's very hit and miss with me. Sometimes I can be fine, but the last time going from Whittier to the airport right towards the end of the ride I was about done. Luckily I was able to make it inside the airport quick enough. And yes I always take double bonine too as preparation. 

46 minutes ago, Glaciers said:

I do wonder if having the ability to get up and walk on the train may lessen the effect of potential motion sickness.

Oh now that's a great question about walking around on the train.