Refundable deposit versus Non Refundable deposit

If I book a cruise Under a refundable deposit which will add $400 to my cruise price can I switch to non refundable before final payment for a lower cruise price?   

I am also getting conflicting information when I call RCCL if I cancel with the non refundable deposit am I just out the $500 or can it be transferred to FCC and moved to another date?  Will I lose $100 per person?   I’m confused with what I’m being told.

Thanks

Kris

6 minutes ago, Tinkerbell said:

If I book a cruise Under a refundable deposit which will add $400 to my cruise price can I switch to non refundable before final payment for a lower cruise price?   

I am also getting conflicting information when I call RCCL if I cancel with the non refundable deposit am I just out the $500 or can it be transferred to FCC and moved to another date?  Will I lose $100 per person?   I’m confused with what I’m being told.

Thanks

Kris

Yes you can switch at any time from refundable to non refundable you just can't switch back.  Also note that closer to final the NRD price may be more than what you paid.

If you cancel you lose the full deposit.  If you move to another sailing then there is a $100pp penalty

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes you can switch at any time from refundable to non refundable you just cant switch back.  Also not that closer to final the NRD price may be more than what you paid.

If you cancel you lose the full deposit.  If you move to another sailing then there is a $100pp penalty

Thank you!  I’m torn on what to do!

16 minutes ago, Tinkerbell said:

Thank you!  I’m torn on what to do!

How far out is the cruise? At final payment date, even the refundable option becomes non-refundable, so if final payment is within a month or two, just book non-refundable. If it's further than that, book refundable and keep an eye out for price drops. I've noticed  that the price to get "refundable" often changes when the prices change (on my cruise it's gone from $108-$130).

If you book non refundable and then decide to cancel, you lose $100 per person, but get the rest back in a future cruise credit (FCC), which has an expiration date.

I personally prefer refundable always. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ARandomTraveler said:

How far out is the cruise? At final payment date, even the refundable option becomes non-refundable, so if final payment is within a month or two, just book non-refundable. If it's further than that, book refundable and keep an eye out for price drops. I've noticed  that the price to get "refundable" often changes when the prices change (on my cruise it's gone from $108-$130).

If you book non refundable and then decide to cancel, you lose $100 per person, but get the rest back in a future cruise credit (FCC), which has an expiration date.

I personally prefer refundable always. 

The cruise is May 15 2023, I always get a refundable deposit with other cruise lines.  I discovered this non refundable deposit by accident for RCCL.  

Which is the “best” sale usually with RCCL?   

Thank you for your guidance for some reason I am all over the place with this cruise not knowing a good time to book etc…

Kris 

8 minutes ago, ARandomTraveler said:

Only if booked on or before 5/31/2022. 

All deposit payments for Nonrefundable Deposit Bookings (“NRDB”) made after 5/31/22 are non-refundable from the time of booking. All NRDBs made on or prior to 5/31/22 are eligible for a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a 100USD/100CAD/80EUR per person service fee (FCC not applicable to select Asia markets).

16 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

All deposit payments for Nonrefundable Deposit Bookings (“NRDB”) made after 5/31/22 are non-refundable from the time of booking. All NRDBs made on or prior to 5/31/22 are eligible for a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit minus a 100USD/100CAD/80EUR per person service fee (FCC not applicable to select Asia markets).

Oh sh!t, didn't realize they changed the rules, that sucks!

In that case OP, I'd book now, book it refundable, look for price drops, and if you're not feeling comfortable with the price by the time final payment comes around, cancel. 

Best sales are usually Black Friday,  but it's not guaranteed. I'd put the $500 down now, lock in your cabin location, and then you'll have like 6 months or so to change your mind. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ARandomTraveler said:

someone else corrected this

Edited by Ourusualbeach

1 hour ago, Tinkerbell said:

The cruise is May 15 2023, I always get a refundable deposit with other cruise lines.  I discovered this non refundable deposit by accident for RCCL.  

Which is the “best” sale usually with RCCL?   

Thank you for your guidance for some reason I am all over the place with this cruise not knowing a good time to book etc…

Kris 

There is no best sale.  They have been running the same sale for the past 7 years or so.

If you book either refundable or non refundable you can get price drops up to final payment date which is 90 days to sailing

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

To add to this.  The 100% penalty only applies if you cancel the booking.  If you move the booking to a different ship or sail date then the old $100pp penalty still applies

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have this question and I'm still confused. If we book a non refundable deposit for a cruise in May 2023, I understand that if we cancel before final payment, we will lose the full deposit. 

It appears that if we change the ship or sailing date before final payment that we would be penalized $100 per person, with $150 person applied to a different sailing. 

Please help me find the policy on the website, as I've searched and only find that the $250pp would be forfeit.

We're considering a family group cruise and I want to be careful how I word the policy to my family.

Thanks, Barb