Question about the app

How well does the chat work? In particular on the Allure. We don't need Voom, but would like a way to keep in touch with each other while onboard.

I thought i read on here that the app may not notify you that you have a message (by dinging or vibrating) that you just periodically need to check. Is that right?

TIA

21 minutes ago, CTKaren said:

If we have purchase internet do we still have to do the $1.99 per day?

If you want to use the chat app on the Royal app, you still need to pay 1.99 a day per person even if you did purchase Voom Surf or Voom Surf and Stream.  

10 minutes ago, cpa09 said:

If you want to use the chat app on the Royal app, you still need to pay 1.99 a day per person even if you did purchase Voom Surf or Voom Surf and Stream.  

Correct.  In that case they should use WhatsApp, iMessage, or another messaging app, assuming all parties have internet access.

Edited by Another_Critic
  • Like 1

If all parties have Voom, just enable Wi-Fi calling on your phones BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME (this is important!), and then you can use your phone normally for calling or texting while on the ship and connected to Voom.  There is no need to use WhatsApp or any other messaging service unless you want to.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, brillohead said:

There is no need to use WhatsApp or any other messaging service unless you want to.  

... or you don't have WiFi calling. 

My cheap VZW MVNO prepaid plan doesn't have it.  But my very cheap ($10 or less/year) T-Mobile plan does.  😄

P.S.  Make sure you put your phone in Airplane Mode, in case you unknowingly drop WiFi.

• Like 1