The Odyssey, on-the-sea, part II. (Alaska)

shark b8

19 hours ago, shark b8 said:

Caught a nice calving event - there was an even more impressive one a bit later, but I missed getting it.

I have been blessed by witnessing the sights and sounds of the calving at Hubbard Glacier a couple of times.  Spectacular and words/pictures don't do them justice.  One needs to experience "live and in person".  Never have seen anything as impressive during any of my visits to Glacier Bay.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, highplanesdrifters said:

REDRUM

hee hee hee.  As it turns out, we came back and….everyone was onboard.  Long day today, fading fast, I’ll try to recap tomorrow.  The basic box score was…..lots of whales 😍, no bears 😰.   More opportunities to come.

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, shark b8 said:

hee hee hee.  As it turns out, we came back and….everyone was onboard.  Long day today, I’ll try to recap tomorrow.  The basic box score was…..lots of whales 😍, no bears 😰.   More opportunities to come.

I'll take whales over bears.  Whales don't destroy my garbage cans.

Imagine if Jack Nicholson was your zodiac driver. 🤣

….and yes, that dark blob in the cottonwood tree is an active Bald Eagle’s nest - they can weigh over 1,000 pounds after years of use and addition.  I’m not much for birds as a rule (with the exception of penguins), but dang, these guys (internet pic of course) are handsome.  We always just look for that telltale white spot in the trees (2nd pic, on the right, halfway up).

646F7E1E-050F-4319-A53F-1E9EDA3CC2F4.thumb.jpeg.8b7a9904689612c09a4366237f732eb8.jpeg

7F6E78DF-0C17-4BFA-884B-320D0259536E.thumb.jpeg.ec871ac076f0280c678e1a9a978aa1c5.jpeg

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 5

Thanks for posting all the fabulous pictures. We are interested in possibly taking one of the bear excursions so it's disappointing that you didn't see any bears. Would you mind saying which excursion it was that you took? Was it the Anan bear location? Thanks so much.

6 hours ago, Missabby said:

Thanks for posting all the fabulous pictures. We are interested in possibly taking one of the bear excursions so it's disappointing that you didn't see any bears. Would you mind saying which excursion it was that you took? Was it the Anan bear location? Thanks so much.

I did the Anan about 10 days ago.  The water was running pretty high at the falls from earlier rains, which made it harder for the bears to catch salmon.  We had about a half dozen bears who came down to the river, poked around a bit, and then gave up and left.  There were still a couple of spots where the fish were somewhat accessible, owned by the biggest bears, and they caught a few salmon while we were there (including one who crossed the trail in front of us with his fish about 5 yards away on the hike in).  Anan is mostly a black bear habitat during the salmon run. Limited space on the excursion - we booked at the time we booked the cruise.  Definitely a highlight for us despite the drizzly day. 

The “Wild Bears of Anan” that curmudgeon mentioned above, is out of Wrangell where we are the day after tomorrow. On the first leg/segment of the cruise about 10 days ago we stopped in Wrangell but we did a different excursion, but then at the end of the day spoke with a couple who raved about the Anan bears tour (and showed us great video), so I  switched our shore excursions for our second Wrangell visit to include that.  That’ll be day after tomorrow we’ll keep our fingers crossed. I’m trying to remember the name of the bear excursion we did the other day but…..🤔 

• Like 1

Unfortunately another disappointment here in Juneau today - we were to do a visit (by helicopter) to a dog-sledding facility, but pretty rainy/windy this morning so they can’t fly & had to cancel.  I confess that we’re serious “dog-people” (pix of Butch and Sundance upon request 😎) so it’s disappointing. 

1 hour ago, shark b8 said:

Unfortunately another disappointment here in Juneau today - we were to do a visit (by helicopter) to a dog-sledding facility, but pretty rainy/windy this morning so they can’t fly & had to cancel.  I confess that we’re serious “dog-people” (pix of Butch and Sundance upon request 😎) so it’s disappointing. 

We are booked for the dog-sledding facility excursion in September, and now I am worried I won't get to go!  Snuggling with husky puppies was going to be a highlight for me!

• Like 1

Rats. Another weather cancellation. We were to do a late afternoon whale watch & dinner aboard one of the really nice catamarans they have here. Poof. Oh well, after having really nice weather the last 2 weeks, guess that can’t last forever.  😥🌧️

• Like 1

We’re tied up (so to speak 😳) in Juneau, awaiting sailaway for the third segment of our trip, back down to Vancouver.  The sailaway from here 2 weeks ago was rainy and windy and miserable.  The sailaway tonight will be rainy and windy and miserable. ( but mostly great weather in between, so……).  Have heard more than once, this about Alaska: “if you don’t like the weather, wait 10 minutes”.

From our veranda while here at the terminal, we look out at the Juneau Gold Belt tram, up & down the mountain.  Guessing it’s not a great view from up top right about now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both for sharing your info on the Anan bear viewing.  We are signed up for the longer 7 hour photography excursion at Anan on Sept. 3. It is my understanding that September is late in the season and the chances of seeing bears is diminished so I am questioning my decision. We have always found the guides and expedition team members to be fairly honest and forthright whenever we discussed our wildlife viewing plans. Shark b8 perhaps if the opportunity arises on your excursion you wouldn't mind inquiring of your guide about the viability of actually seeing bears in September. If the topic doesn't come up, no problem. We are well aware of the fickleness of wildlife sightings and I will just have to weigh our chances against the cost and time of the excursion.  Looking forward to hearing how your bear viewing goes. Hope you have a good weather day.

• Like 1