The Odyssey, on-the-sea, part II. (Alaska)

shark b8

Will ask, for sure, tomorrow, missabby.  The weather is considerably clearer today than yesterday, hoping that’s a trend that will continue.  Cold though - we have zodiacs to the glacier today, will have to bundle up.

1.  Cruiseej: your third picture looks like a large, blue, ice-fish jumping out of the water!!!

2.  Shark b8:  Your glacier and ice pics are really amazing...  What are you using to capture them?

3.  Lastly... since you are now highly experienced at Hubbard Glacier: Catamaran, Kayak, or Zodiac??  Which would give us the best views of that amazing blue-colored ice?  We will be hopping on next Friday afternoon after you get off.  Hope you didn't use up all the good stuff!  🙂  

14 hours ago, DTtravelers said:

2.  Shark b8:  Your glacier and ice pics are really amazing...  What are you using to capture them?

Well, my lavish array of photographic equipment consists of……an iPhone.  📱✔️

• Like 3

14 hours ago, DTtravelers said:

Hubbard Glacier: Catamaran, Kayak, or Zodiac??  Which would give us the best views of that amazing blue-colored ice?  We will be hopping on next Friday afternoon after you get off.  Hope you didn't use up all the good stuff!  🙂

I think that’s just a matter of personal preference, you’ll get essentially the same views from each, they each get you to approx the same place, etc.  We’re not as young as we used-to-was, so we let “the kids” take the kayaks.  The catamarans (at least the ones we got) were surprisingly new, clean, comfortable, spacious, etc.  Ceiling-high windows, plenty of outdoor deck space, so that your pics don’t come from behind spray-streaked or otherwise dirty windows. Restroom on board, although it won’t make anyone forget the Four Seasons. The zodiacs are just plain fun, they’re one of my favorite things about cruising.  So I probably haven’t given you a definitive answer….maybe do we what we did, enjoy them both!

We’ll make sure to leave plenty of “good stuff” for you, and hope you do as well as we have (ratio-wise) with weather.  

The glacier ice from yesterday is doing quite nicely in the small freezer-box portion of the suite’s mini-fridge.  One piece provides a couple of day’s-worth of cocktail enhancement!

261A5D28-8553-4BA3-AEAD-120AA25DFCDA.thumb.jpeg.c25f9d388e952b623172f8d78a0f2ace.jpeg

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 2

If you don't see bears on your Alaskan trip, but want to - here's the closest thing without resorting to Disney animatronic figures:

www.explore.org

Seven live webcams in the Katmai National Park, including the famous Brooks Falls, where the bears gather to catch the salmon jumping over the falls.  There's even a "salmon cam" for an underwater look at the salmon gathering for the jump.

Edited by FlyerTalker
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

If you don't see bears on your Alaskan trip, but want to - here's the closest thing without resorting to Disney animatronic figures:

www.explore.org

Seven live webcams in the Katmai National Park, including the famous Brooks Falls, where the bears gather to catch the salmon jumping over the falls.  There's even a "salmon cam" for an underwater look at the salmon gathering for the jump.

Those cameras are wonderful. I have on occasion seen as many as 16 bears standing on the falls with fish jumping all around them. If you watch over the course of the summer season you can see the bears getting progressively fatter in preparation for their winter snooze.

• Like 3

I have approx 4,600 photos and videos I could post, but (1) videos take about 20-30 minutes to load, with the limited wifi we’ve all come to know and love, and (2) it’s going on midnight, and (3) I’m fading fast.  Suffice it say, it was an extraordinary day, more evidence to come.

Missabby, I made it a point to ask your question of both our guides, and the Forest Service rep (separately, to get multiple opinions) - they all first, of course, repeated the rule we all know - that hits and misses can and do take place, no matter the month or time of year. But they all generally agreed that the optimal times are the last few weeks of July and the first few weeks of August.  They said September can be good too, but the earlier the better. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shark b8 - Thank you for asking my question. The answer is exactly what I expected so now it's up to me to decide and keep my fingers crossed. The bear video makes me very jealous, but I'm very glad you had good weather and good sightings.

FlyerTalker - Thank you for the reminder about those video cameras.  I watched them everyday for months before our polar bear trip to Churchill but had forgotten about them. I will now have a new daily activity at the breakfast table. 

• Haha 1