Your Favorite Beer That's Available On A Royal Ship?

2 hours ago, PompeySailor said:

It was said in jest 

(notice emoji) 🤪

After thinking about it for a minute or two, I shouldn't be the way I was.  I have a very dry sense of humor at times and I almost never us emojis.  I'm sure I'm taken the wrong way a lot because of it.  I'm going to have to be a little more clear about my humor!

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

BTW, in the military, (at least the Army) if was against regulation to wear any headgear indoors unless under arms, not just the mess facilities.  

Just used mess as one example, being ex Army, I totally understand the rules and regulations w.r.t headgear of any form being worn indoors 👍🏻

You have a great day to!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ret MP said:

After thinking about it for a minute or two, I shouldn't be the way I was.  I have a very dry sense of humor at times and I almost never us emojis.  I'm sure I'm taken the wrong way a lot because of it.  I'm going to have to be a little more clear about my humor!

All good 👍🏻 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KayRaeRae said:

Tried it last night with a Trillium Blue Hill and a Sam Adams Wicked Hazy.  Easy peasy.  Same with Dragon’s Milk stout and Tree House Double Shot.  Glaringly obvious.  I’m confident in my assertion. 

Tree House and Trillium are where I cut my teeth on crafts. I'll just say it's more than just flavor that separates the craft from mass produced. I drink both but mostly craft. Tilted Barn is my go too because it's closer to me.

• Like 1

On 7/25/2022 at 12:44 PM, 2chiefs said:

Reading this thread made me nostalgic when growing up in Wisconsin so I put together some images of beers tht were very popular during that time. Most are still around but owned by different companies....

image.thumb.png.a3ce614b5d6ee108b64d0c3c0814f658.png

I may be telling my age, but I have drank 7 of those beers.

Rick

10 hours ago, Big_G said:

Tree House and Trillium are where I cut my teeth on crafts. I'll just say it's more than just flavor that separates the craft from mass produced. I drink both but mostly craft. Tilted Barn is my go too because it's closer to me.

I’m about 10 minutes from Charlton, so TH is my jam. 

20 hours ago, LeeRB said:

I may be telling my age, but I have drank 7 of those beers.

Rick

Do they still brew Miller Genuine Draft?  If so, has anybody seen or had it on a Royal Ship?  I used to love that stuff but it did give me a headache.  So, I left it a long time ago.  But, I'd like to get back on the horse it it's still being made and available.  When we go grocery shopping next I'll have to see if I can find some.  

3 hours ago, Ret MP said:

Do they still brew Miller Genuine Draft?  If so, has anybody seen or had it on a Royal Ship?  I used to love that stuff but it did give me a headache.  So, I left it a long time ago.  But, I'd like to get back on the horse it it's still being made and available.  When we go grocery shopping next I'll have to see if I can find some.  

I haven’t a clue the only beers I have bought in store in years has been Boddingtons, Newcastle, Guinness, Killian’s and a couple Mexican brands.

• Like 1

First, I got off my last ship (Rhapsody OTS) March 7th 2020 which didn’t have a pub so I am not familiar with what the ships are currently carrying. Also, being normally a bourbon drinker, I don’t drink that much beer onboard a cruise ship; but there are those times when bourbon just doesn’t fit. In those cases I go for either Boddingtons Pub Ale or Newcastle Brown Ale (preferably Newcastle draft). It may be all in my head but, I think the Newcastle draft taste better than the bottled. Boddingtons has a capsule that generates a large, fine bubbled, head that requires the pint to be poured into a 20 oz. glass when the can is opened. I think I ran across Boddingtons on a Princess ship 7 or 8 years ago and was introduced to Newcastle Brown Ale in a bar in central Ohio by my son and one of his friends even farther back than that. While I was born and raised in Ohio, I am not a big fan of American beers. I guess being stationed in Germany for over 6 years in the 1970’s increased my appreciation of beers from other parts of the world. I think it was the Mariner OTS in Sep 2019 that I kept the bartenders in the pub confused by drinking in Newcastle draft some time, Boddingtons other times and Four Roses Single Barrel bourbon still other times.

My son makes his own beer, or at least he used to until the girls came along. He is tied up with daddy things these days. Him and his wife are both nurses, while they both work days now, but not necessarily the same days. One of the girls is almost 2 ½ and the other is 4 months. Before the girls came; he had modified a medium size chest freezer so the internal temperature could be adjusted from the outside to an exact degree and he kept his beer in it; it  holds three kegs and each keg was connected to a tap on the outside of the chest. Most of what he made was pretty good, but there were a couple things I didn’t care for. They were too heavy on the hops for my liking.

Rick

On 7/29/2022 at 4:57 PM, KayRaeRae said:

Tried it last night with a Trillium Blue Hill and a Sam Adams Wicked Hazy.  Easy peasy.  Same with Dragon’s Milk stout and Tree House Double Shot.  Glaringly obvious.  I’m confident in my assertion. 

So you were able to taste the difference between a coffee stout and a bourbon barrel stout.  Wow.  How in the world could you do that?   Just amazing.  

By the way, in research this is called sampling bias.  

And I’m not even sure I understand your point.  Do we consider Dragons milk a mass brewer beer now?  

22 hours ago, topnole said:

So you were able to taste the difference between a coffee stout and a bourbon barrel stout.  Wow.  How in the world could you do that?   Just amazing.  

By the way, in research this is called sampling bias.  

And I’m not even sure I understand your point.  Do we consider Dragons milk a mass brewer beer now?  

Fair point on the coffee vs non, but both were BBA.  I’d call Dragons Milk a macro BBA stout.  I can’t think of one that’s more readily available.  I’m open to a suggestion if you know of one.  That said, it wasn’t the coffee that was the major factor, it was the mouthfeel and flavor intensity.  Dragon was thin and watery, whereas DS was jam-packed with flavor and more unctuous.

You neglected to comment on the IPA.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads up. I was just on Ovation for a week. Checked out the beers in the pub on the menu in the RC app and not a single ale, or anything interesting to me. Last day I went in there and discovered they had Newcastle on tap - a good brown ale. Sorry I discovered it too late.

On 7/26/2022 at 4:23 PM, topnole said:

That is one good looking fridge!!   Your posts are gonna make me get some soon.  Does Total Wine sell the real stuff?  How about Publix or any other Florida retailer?   

If you ever go to Total Wine, try a Fullers.  They usually carry a small number of their varieties.  Their Vintage Ales

are amazing.  All of their beers are made at their sole Brewery.  Great stuff.  

Newcastle is the best! Can't get it here in Vero Beach, but I have a friend north of here that routinely gets it for me at Total Wine.

To OP question: This one is easy.  Favorite beer has been Paulaner Doppelbock.  Unfortunately, have seen it on only two ships [Equinox and Harmony]. 

After that, Guiness extra stout.  Wish the ships stocked more porters and stouts and any local craft beers.  

On 8/20/2022 at 9:25 PM, LinRon3 said:

To OP question: This one is easy.  Favorite beer has been Paulaner Doppelbock.  Unfortunately, have seen it on only two ships [Equinox and Harmony]. 

After that, Guiness extra stout.  Wish the ships stocked more porters and stouts and any local craft beers.  

They had the Paulaners Db on Allure.   Terrific beer.