Considering 1st MSC cruise (virtuosa). UK based. Questions.

LilMissK

Hi, not been on a cruise post covid and never been on MSC before. 

Planning a European trip from Southampton. 

Can I ask some questions? 

What's the vegetarian food options like? 

What do u need to pay extra for? The usual; Speciality dining, spa, the games bit... But also, some of the shows? 

You can get off at the ports and wander, can't you? You don't need to do an excursion to be allowed off? 

I'm planning on getting the drinks package. Read its drinks up to £13? I will probably mostly have soft drinks. 

Is there.. a certain.. type of balcony cabin that I'm looking for? I'm reading about different names and I'm a bit lost. 

Thanks! 

# Can’t comment on vegetarian food but there seemed to be a lot of choice.

# extra payment for 2 of the shows - but you get a free drink (although that is pretty pointless if on a package). Shows are good but probably only worth seeing one as they are a little samey.  Best in our opinion was arkymea.  Purchase in advance as half the price of purchasing onboard.

# yes, all ports you can do self-tours

# there is a soft drink package but if you don’t drink alcohol you may be better off without a package as there is free tea, coffee, fruit juice and water all day.

# balcony prices increase the higher up and more central you go. The best balcony cabins are reserved for the AUREA experience.  All other cabins can be either Bella or Fantastica experience with the main difference being that on fantastica you can select your cabin whereas on Bella (cheaper) MSC select the cabin for you.

There are 5 balcony grades.  BP (partial view - blocked by lifeboats on deck 8 and overhang on deck 14)

BA - AUREA cabins on mid and high decks - usually in midships

BR1 / BR2 /BR3 - regular cabins with the difference being low/Med/high decks

Vegetarian options are great. Vegan is more limited. Carbs, cheese, fruit and veggies all great. Lentils, etc are there but it’s not their speciality. 

There are three levels of drink packages. IMO, the basic package is ok, the mid-level is a nice indulgence, the highest legal is extravagance. Plus the No-alcohol package of course. 

If you want a balcony, go at least Fantastic level to pick your cabin. My person thought is the Aurea cabins aren’t necessarily better than Fantastica. 

The drink package that you mention with a limit of £13 is the Premium which is the most expensive. There is also the Easy and the Easy Plus both of which are cheaper, the Easy may be enough for you as it includes soda and juices and some (house brand)alcohol.

The three cabin grades are as above but Aurea also has a few extras like Spa access, a private sun deck and a few other amenities in the cabin. There is also Yacht Club which is an all inclusive ship within a ship experience.

There are the normal cruise type shows for free in the theatre, the pay extra ones are Cirque style shows, very enjoyable although agree that the drink is a bit of a waste of time.

If you do decide on any extras make sure you pay pre cruise on the website or app, they always cost more once onboard.

Feel free to ask for more detail if you need to.

Aurea also has some suites with hot tubs on balcony.  The two premium grand suite on deck 12 right at the front of the ship have one of the biggest balconies on the ship which also comes with 2 sun loungers, 2 chairs and another seat which can be used as a foot rest or a table (if you're very careful!)

With Aurea also you get priority boarding and anytime dining and if ship is sailing full or near to capacity the Aurea guests have their own main restaurant. At present the Virtuosa is sailing at 80 - 85%% capacity.

Kettles with tea and coffee in all cabins during the summer season.

Food has been tweak to British tastes. The announcements for summer Southampton cruises are now in one language...English. 

Except safety announcements if needed.

On 7/26/2022 at 9:52 PM, LilMissK said:

Hi, not been on a cruise post covid and never been on MSC before. 

Planning a European trip from Southampton. 

Can I ask some questions? 

What's the vegetarian food options like? Don't know exactly.

What do u need to pay extra for? The usual; Speciality dining, spa, the games bit... But also, some of the shows? All what you said. On Meraviglia class on where the Virtuosa is included they used to have some 2 paid Cirque du Soleil shows with a drink or a dinner. Since CdS has gone bust they're trying to restore the option with other productions. Don't know if they'll be offered or not on Virtuosa by your sailing date.

You can get off at the ports and wander, can't you? You don't need to do an excursion to be allowed off? Covid restrictions have been lifted pretty much elsewhere. You'll be permitted to wander on your own elsewhere. Do note that in some jurisdictions they may require you to use a face mask on certain places like public transportation, though.

I'm planning on getting the drinks package. Read its drinks up to £13? I will probably mostly have soft drinks. If you only want non alcoholic drinks they have a non alcoholic drinks package on offer. Or maybe, if the difference is not that much, you can go with the basic Easy package that will give you pretty much everything non alcoholic plus standard house wine, beer and spirits.

Is there.. a certain.. type of balcony cabin that I'm looking for? I'm reading about different names and I'm a bit lost. They have such an Experience level selling scheme. To turn things simpler for you, let me to recommend that you go for at least a Fantastica balcony. The lower category, Bella, is just a "no frills" guaranteed room with basically no benefits at all. The difference from that to Fantastica is usually on the EUR 50-100 per person per cruise, so pretty much affordable. The top one, Aurea, is way overpriced on me for the extra benefits currently on offer. Yacht Club may be great if you want a ship within ship concept with some exclusive perks.

Thanks! You're welcome! Hope to have helped a bit!...

On 7/27/2022 at 10:50 PM, Cruiseforever11 said:

At present the Virtuosa is sailing at 80 - 85%% capacity.

in actuality, it is more like 40-55% dependent on the itinerary.

3600 on the current voyage which, apart from the 3 day stag and hen booze cruises, is the highest of the summer.  With a capacity of 6334, that is 54%

17 hours ago, ferretktf said:

in actuality, it is more like 40-55% dependent on the itinerary.

3600 on the current voyage which, apart from the 3 day stag and hen booze cruises, is the highest of the summer.  With a capacity of 6334, that is 54%

I see this a lot for all cruise ships, but I very much doubt any cruise ship will hit 100% capacity. The capacity is based on every single berth in every single cabin being filled, as most cabins can take 3 or 4 and most people book cabins with a occupancy of 2, its never going to happen. Yes there will be 3's and 4's but also singles only, and I still believe the most common occupancy will be 2. I have no proof to back this up! However I would say the true capacity is about 2/3rds of the actual capacity and is what the cruise line will base its staffing level upon. I guess school holidays would be the time when more cabins are filled to capacity but every single one? surely a rare occurrence.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 4:46 PM, defbref said:

I see this a lot for all cruise ships, but I very much doubt any cruise ship will hit 100% capacity. The capacity is based on every single berth in every single cabin being filled, as most cabins can take 3 or 4 and most people book cabins with a occupancy of 2, its never going to happen. Yes there will be 3's and 4's but also singles only, and I still believe the most common occupancy will be 2. I have no proof to back this up! However I would say the true capacity is about 2/3rds of the actual capacity and is what the cruise line will base its staffing level upon. I guess school holidays would be the time when more cabins are filled to capacity but every single one? surely a rare occurrence.

I'm cruising on MSC Virtuosa 3rd September and travelling solo.  MSC had allocated me a 4 berth cabin so is not at full capacity!!