Belfast - Walk from cruise port to Titanic Belfast museum

I had scoured these boards and other trip "advising" sites to answer one question.  Can a passenger walk from the cruise ship port in Belfast to the Titanic museum?  The only info I gathered was that it was "too far" and "impossible" as the ship docks in an industrial port that you cannot walk through.

Well, that is totally incorrect.  The vast majority of the walk is on a sidewalk on the perimeter of the port, you are not really walking through the port at all.

First of all, before you read any further, please be advised that the walk is a bit over two miles in length.  We routinely walk much more than that daily at home, so we were intrigued.

We docked in Belfast yesterday to a wonderful day with mixed sun/clouds and temps in the low 70s F.  Perfect for walking!

Here is how to do this easy walk on flat and mostly smooth sidewalks.

When you disembark, walk down the road that exits the port.  There is only one road.  It is not heavily traveled. This is the only part without a sidewalk.

At the intersecting road, turn right.  This is Airport Road.   Walk on the sidewalk and continue about two miles.

You will pass some businesses including an Audi and a Porsche dealership. 

When you see a large Premier Inn hotel and the large SS ice hockey arena, turn right.  It is a major road.  You should see signs for the Titanic Quarter.  Take this road to the end and you will reach the Titanic museum.  It is very visible and obvious even from far away.

Easy.  Peasy.

We prebooked 9 am entry tickets online and were with the first group admitted to the museum.  We left the ship a little after 8 am and walked leisurely.

After spending 3+ hours in the museum we purchased an all day Glider pass at the Glider stop (halt) near the museum.  The all day pass cost about $5 USD and we traveled to numerous stops throughout the city.  More info on another post.  The Glider is a popular urban transportation large articulated bus.  We never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus to arrive and often there were employees present to happily answer questions and assist.

When we walked back to the ship we got off the Glider at the Waterfront stop, walked down the esplanade toward the museum.  Instead of going all the way back, we cut through at the location of the Premier Inn and walked again down Airport Road to the ship.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/4/2022 at 3:19 AM, We_like_to_cruise said:

I had scoured these boards and other trip "advising" sites to answer one question.  Can a passenger walk from the cruise ship port in Belfast to the Titanic museum?  The only info I gathered was that it was "too far" and "impossible" as the ship docks in an industrial port that you cannot walk through.

Well, that is totally incorrect.  The vast majority of the walk is on a sidewalk on the perimeter of the port, you are not really walking through the port at all.

First of all, before you read any further, please be advised that the walk is a bit over two miles in length.  We routinely walk much more than that daily at home, so we were intrigued.

We docked in Belfast yesterday to a wonderful day with mixed sun/clouds and temps in the low 70s F.  Perfect for walking!

Here is how to do this easy walk on flat and mostly smooth sidewalks.

When you disembark, walk down the road that exits the port.  There is only one road.  It is not heavily traveled. This is the only part without a sidewalk.

At the intersecting road, turn right.  This is Airport Road.   Walk on the sidewalk and continue about two miles.

You will pass some businesses including an Audi and a Porsche dealership. 

When you see a large Premier Inn hotel and the large SS ice hockey arena, turn right.  It is a major road.  You should see signs for the Titanic Quarter.  Take this road to the end and you will reach the Titanic museum.  It is very visible and obvious even from far away.

Easy.  Peasy.

We prebooked 9 am entry tickets online and were with the first group admitted to the museum.  We left the ship a little after 8 am and walked leisurely.

After spending 3+ hours in the museum we purchased an all day Glider pass at the Glider stop (halt) near the museum.  The all day pass cost about $5 USD and we traveled to numerous stops throughout the city.  More info on another post.  The Glider is a popular urban transportation large articulated bus.  We never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus to arrive and often there were employees present to happily answer questions and assist.

When we walked back to the ship we got off the Glider at the Waterfront stop, walked down the esplanade toward the museum.  Instead of going all the way back, we cut through at the location of the Premier Inn and walked again down Airport Road to the ship.

We_Like_to_ Cruise

Thanks for all  your info.,

Do you happen to know if you can walk to the Sixt car rental/ OR how long is the walk?

If not , are there taxis waiting at the cruise terminal?

We would like to do the Giants causeway on our own.

You prebooked your Titanic museum tix... Is that necessary?

DONNAKG

On 8/4/2022 at 12:19 AM, We_like_to_cruise said:

an all day Glider pass at the Glider stop (halt) near the museum.  The all day pass cost about $5 USD and we traveled to numerous stops throughout the city.  More info on another post.  The Glider is a popular urban transportation large articulated bus.  We never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus to arrive and often there were employees present to happily answer questions and assist.

Where do I find it?? Is the pass good on busses or just glider?

Did Princess or the port run a shuttle to the city center?

Edited by Ombud

On 8/5/2022 at 3:10 PM, styme123 said:

Interested in hearing about the Glider. We are looking for some things to see on our half day in Cork.

The Glider is a Bendy Bus transportation system in Belfast. It has a few stops in the Titanic Quarter on Belfast. Cork is about a 4hour drive from Belfast

On 8/5/2022 at 10:10 AM, styme123 said:

Interested in hearing about the Glider. We are looking for some things to see on our half day in Cork.

As mentioned in the above post, the Glider transport is in Belfast.  Sorry, I do not know anything about the public transportation in Cork.

On 8/8/2022 at 3:10 PM, MICHE99 said:

That sounds like a lovely day. Can I also assume that there are taxis at the dock for those who might have difficulty walking that far?

I know that there were Princess buses lined up to take pax on excursions.  Sorry, did not notice if there were cabs.  (I would be surprised if there weren't, but would not want to lead you astray.)  Perhaps post that query as a separate topic on this  Western Europe thread.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 2:29 PM, DONNAKG said:

We_Like_to_ Cruise

Thanks for all  your info.,

Do you happen to know if you can walk to the Sixt car rental/ OR how long is the walk?

If not , are there taxis waiting at the cruise terminal?

We would like to do the Giants causeway on our own.

You prebooked your Titanic museum tix... Is that necessary?

DONNAKG

I don't know where the Sixt car rental is located.  But if you check Google maps, you should be able to find the Belfast cruise terminal and Airport Road.  The Premiere Inn is on Queens Road.

As far as the Titanic Museum, I sent an email to them and they strongly recommended purchasing advance tickets.  When we got there at the 9 am opening it was already somewhat crowded.  I think we probably could have just purchased the tickets at the time, but had no regrets with the pre-purchase.  Personally we did not want to risk it as this is a very popular tourist site. 

On 8/21/2022 at 3:40 PM, Ombud said:

Where do I find it?? Is the pass good on busses or just glider?

Did Princess or the port run a shuttle to the city center?

I have not yet had time to post separately about the Glider, but here is some general info:

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/full-list-translinks-glider-route-19222992

Edited by We_like_to_cruise
spelling
  • Like 1