Advice on how to handle an elderly parent with a temporary mobility issue

4 hours ago, trafaelwyr said:

A bit null and void now, but we'd be on the Liberty of the Seas.  My mom and sister are booked for a cabin with a balcony.  It sounds like my mom has her mind made up about not going on the cruise, but I'll try to lobby for her to still go on the cruise.  I think she's making this more than it should be, but I won't know until I see her this afternoon.  We would have been driving from the Dallas area to Galveston, fyi. 

Even though she's decided not to go on the cruise, getting one of these is a good investment (DW has a similar one, and there are so many of these and similar walkers on board that she jokes they could have their own parade in the promenade.) Very light weight, foldable, and easy to maneuver around.

Capture.JPG

19 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Sounds like it is time for her to reconsider traveling. 

Is there some place she can stay while you cruise?

Wow, I sure hope you aren't ever in a position to need a scooter or help when you want to go on vacation.  You sound like someone who has no empathy for anyone!

18 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I'd be concerned with having a regular cabin if you rent a scooter. Remember you arent supposed to leave them in the hall. 

I don't know which ship the OP is sailing on, but on the Oasis class ships housekeeping will come pick up the scooter at night, charge it, and return it the next morning.  It can be kept outside the cabin during the day.

I don't believe an Oasis class ship is sailing from Galveston in September, but you may be able to ask RC customer service if that is a possibility if you are renting a non-handicap equipped cabin.

16 hours ago, Tee & Chilli said:

@twangsteris correct. Here’s a pic of a Harmony Central Park view interior.

For comparison this is a three wheel go go scooter. D88C6405-7F68-489E-B1D5-79E0B1B78CD9.thumb.jpeg.dc17caf18fd4abe0360cc17e1cfe2081.jpegA7C4A6A6-FEFA-45C7-9388-59E5B4DE4E83.thumb.jpeg.f83bd29b97cea14adf47c69411d08ad2.jpeg

The newer cabin designs work a little better I imagine?   I believe for oasis and allure it would be much tighter?   

43 minutes ago, topnole said:

The newer cabin designs work a little better I imagine?   I believe for oasis and allure it would be much tighter?   

I have sailed more in accessible cabins when traveling with my mom.

Many years ago on Liberty we stayed in a promenade view. We broke the scooter down in parts when storing it inside the cabin because it wouldn’t fit through the door.

It always helps if the bed is by the balcony or window.

• Like 1